SlotForum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a bucket full of old Peco PL10 that I intend to use for lane changing on a routed track.
I tried using some copper wire as extension to the rod, but find it impossible to make it stick.

What is the trick? Do I need some other type of solder? Copper and the non-copper rod is bad match?

Is there some other metod that can be used for extension?

Thanks,
B

·
Prof I T
Ting Tong
11,085 Posts
hi
are you using a flux to tin the parts you are trying to solder together, if not then they will not solder up at all.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,
I'm on thin ice here:) Don't know much about it. Usually I have been soldering wires, LEDs, resistors etc for my analog track, and have never had any problems. Been using silver solder.

On the roll of solder it says that flux is included, but I have not used any additional product. Do I need some kind of special flux? In case, what will I need?

Thanks for your help:)

B

·
Registered
98 Posts
hi
it sounds like some of the componenets you have been using may have already been tinned ie flux applied and then solder on top so that with heat applied they stick straight together.

I would ignore the solder that says flux included they never work as well as the sperate method of applying your own.

I use ordinary plumbers flux and just wipe a small amount onto the surface i want to solder onto with a cotton bud then solder onto the flux,when you put the solder onto the flux it starts hissing and you can see the solder move onto your work piece..

One tip i was given many years ago when soldering is to keep everything clean and hot .

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice
Have bought a couple of different flux on the bay of E, will experiment a little.

B

·
Registered
229 Posts
Hi,

-Start first with what kind of material are you trying to stick together, some metals won't take any solder. Than it's the end of the game.
-Make your surface clean, use some Acetone to remove all grease
-Sometimes it helps to roughen up the surfaces that you are trying to stick together, use a file or some sand paper.
-put up cooling clamps to avoid the heat spreading all over the item and burning or loosening other components
-applier solder to both surfaces, before sticking together, use separate flux
-Again make your surface clean, use some Acetone to remove all grease
-Apply new flux and solder together. perhaps a god tip, use some very thin copper wire and wind around the two surfaces, holding them together, works much easier in handling

Another problem could be your soldering iron, that it won't get hot enough for such a job.

...some metals won't take any solder. Than it's the end of the game... You can also use cold weld, see the epoxy glue that they used in this link(press here)

Hope this helps
Cheers,
Danny

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
QUOTE (TheBruce @ 20 Nov 2011, 22:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>...old Peco PL10 that I intend to use for lane changing on a routed track.
I tried using some copper wire as extension to the rod, but find it impossible to make it stick.
What is the trick? Do I need some other type of solder? Copper and the non-copper rod is bad match?

I think that determining what that non-copper rod is, is the key. Knowing that will let you choose the correct flux. If that non-copper rod is stainless steel, use phosphoric acid.

·
Banned
8,038 Posts
Try soldering similar gauge zinc plated wire to the existing Peco rod.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts