SlotForum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to run Carreras Dodge Daytona and Plymouth Superbird on my Sport track but for some reason they do not want to go.

They are completely lifeless until I remove both magnets. Without magnets they have power while they are stood on the powerbase section of track but as soon as they cross over onto the next track piece they die.

I have a stock Sport set-up with Prof Motor controllers but I have also tried the Scaley ones.

Other cars such as Scaley Minis and GT40, Ninco Austin Healey, Fly 917's run just fine (none of these cars have been tuned in any way).

It seems like the Carrera cars need more power to get them moving (especially as I had a bit of improvement after removing the mags) but surely this isnt the case ?

I had also wondered if I had bad track connections but the other cars mentioned run perfect (no hint of power loss anywhere on the track).

I am perplexed....can anyone out there offer some suggestions please ?

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
If you are sure that your other cars work fine on your existing track setup, then the problem is definitely with the Carrera cars.

Although I have the new Ferrari Enzo and Aston Vanquish, which ran faultlessly on Sport Track, straight from the box, I don't have any of the new American models yet. But I have noted on other sites that the rear magnet can touch and drag on the rails. Not having one in my own hands, I can only try to remember that this problem can be cured by removing a s thin spacer from behind the magnet, which reduces its excessive pull. So try that.

Other possibilities are that the braids are not making full contact with the track rails - try lifting the back end of the car with power on and see if the motor revs freely as you wriggle the car around a little. Another point to look for is whether the wires to the motor are properly connected to the braid in the guide.

It's always handy to have a model train transformer with a pair of wires conencted for testing contact DIRECT to car motors, thus cutting out all the 'middle men' in the transfer of current from power supply to motor. This is a very quick way to check if the motor itself is running properly. You can use a battery for this purpose too, though it's a bit more fiddly. If that is OK, then you try contacting the braids with the supply. Working your way back like this, usually will identify where the problem lies.

I hope some of this helps!

·
Registered
773 Posts
...secret is correct braid setup. The mag of these cars is far away from the track. Check if the guide flag is to long four your sports track, look if the braids are in proper contact.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
I was in a bit of a rush on my last post.
I think Thomas is probably right about the braid contact.

However, as I said, I don't (yet) own any of these cars but I read this at Home Racing World, in a review of the Plymouth Superbird and Dodge Daytona . . .
QUOTE Underneath we can see the new Carrera magnet in the rear of the car along with the adjustable magnet near the center. It is here that we soon discovered an issue that really hurts this model . . . yet is easily fixed. Unlike other early releases by Carrera with the new chassis, these have the new magnet so low that out of the box on our flat Carrera oval the model just sat there and spun the tires because the magnet bracket is so low it touches the rails and lifts the car off the track. Upon closer inspection and making sure the magnet bracket was fully seated, we chose to remove the shim under the magnet to allow for more clearance.
See the full review with pics by Harry Wise, HERE.
It seems that it might apply to some of the newer cars - I am not sure which exactly, but thought it was worth mentioning.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers guys, it was indeed the braid set-up. The braids were bowed out away from the centre line of the guide like Poroits moustache. As soon as I had pinched them in tight and level with the guide blade they ran perfectly.

Thanks for the advice

1 - 5 of 5 Posts