SlotForum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear enthusiasts,

My son and build a nice 1:32 track with all the bells and whistles.

We have one problem though, the digital lab counter.

We cannot figure out why in some races one driver ends up with a best lab time is 1 or 2 sec (the track takes 10 sec. to compete if you drive very fast), other times it is correct, like all drivers having 10 and 11 sec. Can this have something to do with cars getting derailed and then when they get on the track the computer gets confused. Straingly it does not happen in each race and it does not matter if we run labs, time or training.

Please see attached image here best lab time is a bit over 6 sec which is not possible. The other driver has 12 sec. which is reasonable.

IMG_2003.jpg

IMG_2004.jpg

I hope you can explain the reason behind this strange behaviour.

With best regards,

Peter

Attachments

·
Greg Gaub
14,798 Posts
Then the CU should have the latest firmware, unless it's been sitting at the store for a while. What set did you get? That might help us determine the likelihood that it has been on a shelf a bit and might have old firmware.

Unfortunately, the only way to update the firmware is to get the App Control accessory and update it through a connected mobile device, or to send it back to Carrera to update. It's also hard to know for sure if the problem is related to CU firmware or not.

I'm sure someone with a bit more experience with Carrera will chime in soon with other ideas. I don't have the Lap Counter accessory to do any testing with, but I know Bruce and others do.

·
Bruce Yingling
1,603 Posts
Any chance you had more than one car being run with the same ID? Or the car came off and was put back on right in front of the start/finish? That could explain the 6 second time above, although you'd have to be really quick to get a 1 or 2 second time out of that. Multiple ghost cars could make the 1 or 2 second lap happen, as all ghosts have the same ID- ID7.

I don't have one of these lap counters- but they don't really count, they just display what the CU reports. Using other devices (phones and tablets running apps, computers running software), I've never seen the CU report laps like this, unless a car actually crossed.

But it may be that these lap counters are known for this oddity. I really don't know very many people who use them. Nearly everyone prefers a phone app or computer software.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Then the CU should have the latest firmware, unless it's been sitting at the store for a while. What set did you get? That might help us determine the likelihood that it has been on a shelf a bit and might have old firmware.

Unfortunately, the only way to update the firmware is to get the App Control accessory and update it through a connected mobile device, or to send it back to Carrera to update. It's also hard to know for sure if the problem is related to CU firmware or not.

I'm sure someone with a bit more experience with Carrera will chime in soon with other ideas. I don't have the Lap Counter accessory to do any testing with, but I know Bruce and others do.
I have searched the internet to see how I update CU but I cannot find anything that explain it step by step. Question, do I need this thing:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N1KIKOO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s04?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

The point being the it connect to the control unit which then connect to my phone which then - finally - does the update?

Thank you for your help though!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Any chance you had more than one car being run with the same ID? Or the car came off and was put back on right in front of the start/finish? That could explain the 6 second time above, although you'd have to be really quick to get a 1 or 2 second time out of that. Multiple ghost cars could make the 1 or 2 second lap happen, as all ghosts have the same ID- ID7.

I don't have one of these lap counters- but they don't really count, they just display what the CU reports. Using other devices (phones and tablets running apps, computers running software), I've never seen the CU report laps like this, unless a car actually crossed.

But it may be that these lap counters are known for this oddity. I really don't know very many people who use them. Nearly everyone prefers a phone app or computer software.
No we did not advance the cars. We have run several tests where we were alert to the fact that we could make such mistake, so no. My guess (hope) is that it's a firmware update which is needed although I cannot find out exactly how to do it.

Thank you for helping out though, much appreciated!

·
Bruce Yingling
1,603 Posts
I don't remember this ever being reported- but again, that lap counter gets small use.

I would be surprised if changing the firmware in the CU will have any effect. If your results can't be explained by having multiple cars on the same ID, or replacing a car too soon, then I don't think the issue is coming from the CU.

The only other suggestion I might have: try changing the lighting on and around the track. Artificial and even natural lighting sometimes interferes with the LED sensors in the track.

If all else fails, you are correct: the only way to perform a firmware change is to buy a Carrera App Connect device and use a phone or tablet to perform the 'update'.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't remember this ever being reported- but again, that lap counter gets small use.

I would be surprised if changing the firmware in the CU will have any effect. If your results can't be explained by having multiple cars on the same ID, or replacing a car too soon, then I don't think the issue is coming from the CU.

The only other suggestion I might have: try changing the lighting on and around the track. Artificial and even natural lighting sometimes interferes with the LED sensors in the track.

If all else fails, you are correct: the only way to perform a firmware change is to buy a Carrera App Connect device and use a phone or tablet to perform the 'update'.
Well...

it was easy. Of course. I called Carrera in Germany and with my best high school German explained the problem. They were EXTREAMLY HELPFUL and it turned out the lab counter is in the pitstop lane. Therefore when you have two pitstops on your a track - as we do - the lab counter on one of the pitstops must be disabled. There were some easy to follow instructions in the manual and now everything works fine.

Thank you all for helping out solving this problem :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts