SlotForum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am having loads of trouble with my Carrera Digital 132 Ferrari 458 (Black Bull Racing). The car has less than 2 hrs track time and I absolutely love the livery.

The first 100 laps or so the car was great. Shortly after, however, the car kept losing power. After every few curve sections the guide would slightly wiggle loose in its housing. The braids would stop making a good connection to the rail and the car would no longer move. I had a few extra stock Carrera guides. I thought maybe it was a bad part. Replacing it did not help as the same problem occurred.

I tried adjusting the braids so they were as smooth and flat as possible. The car continued to have problems.

I read somewhere that the Frankslot aftermarket guide might help to fix the problem with the guide popping out. They arrived and I installed one. The car was good for another hundred laps or so. Even with the Frankenslot guide it keeps failing to make a good connection and will even stall out on a straight section now.

I am quite new to 132 scale slot cars. Is there something specific I should be trying to get the car to keep power?

I noticed the guide plate no longer returns to its centre postion after a corner. The springs are not strong enough to push it back. The guide no longer moves freely and feels sticky. It was pretty free moving previously (or at least I think it was). After most corners I have to physically pick up the car to recentre the guide and then push down the nose of the car to click things back in place to restore power.

Is it a simple matter to remove everything and try to sand the housing a bit? Is there another common trick with this kind of problem?

Or should I skip the dishes and move straight to an aftermarket guide plate setup? Again, I have no idea if anyone even makes such a thing.

Thanks,

Michael

·
Registered
526 Posts
I'm not a great fan of the Carrera guide blade setup but I've not had this problem that you're experiencing. If the digital arrangement is the same as the analogue, it is fairly simple to open up the car and remove the whole assembly after removing two screws. The assembly can now be opened and examined to see if there is anything amiss. If you want to change the whole setup, there are adapters available. I have converted two of my Carrera cars to Sloting Plus guide blades after fitting the adapter. I can't remember what the brand was but you should be able to find one at the major reputable slotcar parts suppliers.

·
Registered
361 Posts
i dont think the guides on that car can be completely flat. i think they need to have a light increase to make a proper connection. i had a similar issue with that exact car, and pulling the guides down slightly gave it better connection to the track

as far as the guide feeling sticky, do you have any of the braids under the guide? i had a similar issue and just pulling the guides to the side helped. Also there is a spring on the carrera cars guide, is the tip of the guide in between the 2 spring sides?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rekim - how would I pull the guides down as you suggested and keep them in place (ie closer to the rails)? The braids do sometimes sneak under the guide flag (using stock and the Frankenslot) but they are off to the side at the moment. This is not the reason for the stickiness.

Steveaca - If you recall which adapter you used in conjunction with the Sloting Plus guide blade please let me know. The guide would be identical to that of the analog version.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Rekim - how would I pull the guides down as you suggested and keep them in place (ie closer to the rails)? The braids do sometimes sneak under the guide flag (using stock and the Frankenslot) but they are off to the side at the moment. This is not the reason for the stickiness.

Steveaca - If you recall which adapter you used in conjunction with the Sloting Plus guide blade please let me know. The guide would be identical to that of the analog version.
sorry, its still early here. I meant pull the braids down a tiny bit. also, have you verified there arent any wires tangled up in the spring on the inside of the car.

Can you try to disconnect the digital chip and connect it as if it was analog and see if it makes a difference. maybe the chip is overheating or something?

can you take a picture and post it here of the bottom of the car

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'd try gently tugging the wires connecting to your brushes to make sure you didn't over extend the guide blade. The wires might have gotten loose and that could be what's causing your power issue.

·
Registered
361 Posts
if the car is newish, carrera has a very good customer service department. i had a silly issue with a car wheel that wobbled and they replied back to me the same day, and even told me if i wanted to bring the car in person to their office they could take care of it for me. (or i could mail it if i couldnt get to their office). It seems their office is only like 15 minutes from my house.

I was able to get my figured out on my own before it getting that far, but i would contact carrera since it isnt obvious. it would stink to spend more money trying to fix something they might cover under warranty

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The wires are solidly connected so that is not the issue, unfortunately.

Steveaca if you find any info on the aftermarket guide and assembly I am still interested.

I called the Carrera US/Canada support line and they mentioned I should contact the store where I purchased the car from. I just made a call into Playvalue Toys (Canada) and they will be getting their Carrera guy to call me either today or tomorrow. I am hoping we can figure something out; shipping is very expensive these days.

Michael

·
Registered
361 Posts
The wires are solidly connected so that is not the issue, unfortunately.

Steveaca if you find any info on the aftermarket guide and assembly I am still interested.

I called the Carrera US/Canada support line and they mentioned I should contact the store where I purchased the car from. I just made a call into Playvalue Toys (Canada) and they will be getting their Carrera guy to call me either today or tomorrow. I am hoping we can figure something out; shipping is very expensive these days.

Michael
i hope this gets sorted out for you. however, i am disappointed to see that carrera wouldnt help you directly.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Carrera would have helped me but I would have had to ship the parcel to them directly. Shipping a piece of paper from Canada to the US seems to start at $10.00 these days so I was kind of unsure of things. The rep at Carrera wanted me to contact the retailer first so I did.

I called Playvalue Toys earlier today and was told someone would get back. A few hours later they called me and, to be honest, they absolutely exceeded my expectations. I explained the situation, told them my order number, etc.

They are going to stand behind the warranty and help me out 100%. I am more than pleased with the outcome of this conversation and looking forward to a working car.

Cheers,

Michael

·
Registered
526 Posts
Hi celticgriffon, the adapter that I used (I found the actual plastic bag it came in !) is made by Devis Designs. Not sure where I bought it from though. I however found a similar item available at Slot Car Corner in the US. The brand is actually Slot Car Corner and the description is 'Carrera Guide Blade Adapter Combo'.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts