SlotForum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!,

I am new to SSDC and I find it super fun.

HOWEVER! I have found it to be a wee bit temperamental and I am trying to get it all up and running sweet.

I am having a similar problem to andreasm but I see that he has now overcome this, I have not.

I am trying to update firmware on the APB for SSDC, and I am following the instructions from the SSDC website to the letter.
The first thing is that it doesn't say how long you hold down the UP button for on the PB, do you keep it pressed down through the whole procedure.

Either way the message I get from the Bootloader is opening port, reading ID, closing port.

Somebody posted the bit rate needed to be 115200, I tried that and it did not make a difference, so I changed it back to 9600.
I should also mention that it is an old laptop I am using with XP, but I can't see this causing a problem because it runs everything else ok.

If anyone can help I would appreciate it very much.

Glenn

·
Administrator
10,131 Posts
I'm confused, you say APB then you talk about baud rates, the tool for updating the APB does not have an adjustment for baud rate.

Are you using a C7030 upgraded to PB-Pro with TinyBldWin?

If it is an APB C7042 did you download the updater tool from the SSDC website?

·
Prof I T
11,162 Posts
hi
also make sure that you connect with the same com port as when you are connected to ssdc.

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
Hi Glenn,
Try following this thread.

Just post right back on here if you still get stuck

All the best - Greg

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Glen,

In late 2010 I was absolutely stumped as to updating firmware. I'd tried all the advice on the threads, and tried five different computers and 3 versions of Windows. Finally I gave up and sent my APB to one of the great vendors here on SFI that offers free updating. I then watched several updates pass me by because I didn't want to send off the APB again, and then when the Throttle PRO functionality became available I HAD to update. I tried again with no success, then on a lark I purchased a new cable from RikoRocket. When it got here: instant success! I could not believe that I'd spent all those hours trying in vain, and with the new cable it took all of a minute!!! My older cable was not bad or burned out. It still works perfectly with SSDC, but apparently the data transmission rates are just deficient enough as to render it useless for firmware updates. I think Riko may have posted about this somewhere. So, if all the other advice fails, figure out if you have the most recent cable. If you don't, upgrade and you may enter update heaven like me!
Ray

·
Prof I T
11,162 Posts
hi
some of the very early cables were a 2 piece affair from memory.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Yes, my older cable that could not do the updating was a 2 piece job. I still use it for SSDC sometimes, as it allows me to free a USB port on the laptop if I take it apart and use the serial plug end.
Ray

·
Greg Gaub
14,984 Posts
That's the kind I have, also from Riko. I use it serially, and it updates firmware just fine that way. I could not get firmware updates to work on that cable using the serial to USB converter. Unfortunately, so few computers have serial ports any more.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK ANORAKS! I have sorted it out!

The problem was, when I was switching on the the PB I pushed the UP button and all the red LED lights started flashing, then when releasing the UP button all the lights extinguished, I then attempted to update the PB, which did not work.

Rikko told me that only five lights should light up and then a sixth when the UP button is released. NOW, the PowerBase is ready to accept new firmware.

The SSDC website needs to be more specific with this as it took me a while to figure out.

I hope this helps anyone else with this problem.

Thanks for the help,

Glenn

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Hi guys
I found it easy to do after 6hrs struggling .
But it was me being blonde I had put com port of pitpro not PB .
When I noticed that it worked fine and easy to do .
thanks SSDC guys great work.
ade

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
I think the text could be better and should mention that you will initially get 5 lights on and that you should then release the UP button and the 6th light will then come on.

However it is quite clear that you should switch on the Powerbase with the UP button pressed. If you had done that everything would have been fine.

As an aside the reason why you get 5 lights on is that as well as being the way to get into the Bootloader it is also a button test. If you try pressing the other buttons when in this mode you will see that each button extinguishes a different LED.

Rich

1 - 13 of 13 Posts