Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I am seeking advise i've purchased second hand classic track, i've temp. set it up to test the track, some part of the track is not working you have to physically nudge the car then it moves and then it stops.
I've swapped and changes the tracks pieces and is causing the same issues any suggestions will be highly appreciated.

·
slotfreak
320 Posts
Im no expert but I would probably put copper tape over it ,or you could use that enoxa stuff lots of people talks about . another way is with jumpers under the track to help power flow or finally you can switch to routed wood.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've had this problem before and it's very frustrating, especially when you replace sections of the track and you're still getting the same results. I would suggest looking at two specific areas of your track to pinpoint the problem: The section where the cars initially slow down and exact point where they pick up speed again. Perhaps a good cleaning or sanding of the rails is in order. You don't say what type of track it is, but sometimes oxidation builds up on the tips of the rails where the sections actually connect to each other.

·
Prof I T
Ting Tong
11,085 Posts
Hi
first off make sure the braids are in good condition.Then lift the rear of the car up and apply power and move the car from side to side,it should maintain power throughout the arc,if there is any drop off in power this indicates a break in the wires.

If the above all checks out then it is track based problem.Give it a wipe over with a rag damped in WD40 and see how you go.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Power leads off these track sections to a MAIN BUS Line is something you will eventually want to do anyways, Might as well do it now.

Run jumoers from each track section and SOLDER to MAIN BUS..You will NEVER worry about connections again. Just keep the Contact Clean ....The thing about using a BUS Line is you wont experience POWER Drops the further you get from your Main Source.
If you use a LOT of track, run more than 1 Bus line making the Shortest route possible to your Main Source....( In other words, rather thn running all the way Around under the track, perhaps make a second BUS that goes ACROSS to the Back section then Over to left and right...A T..... This gives you a Shorter Power run than circling the entire course.....Very large layouts may utilize 3 or even 4 Main Bus lines...These are brought to a BLOCK then main leads run into the Block from your power source....Your Block needs will be dependent on your number of Bus's......

While this may Sound complicated, its actually Very easy as wiring goes........remember, A NEAT job makes it easier to find problems down the road...Keep your Wiring Neat and LABELED!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts