SlotForum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hopefully Aaron can take a look at this post when he returns next week

I've gone retro! I fancied something different, something harking back to earlier slot cars. Well, I found them so hopefully I may kick start some sort of retro race, eh GRAH1?

Right. I bought Pink Kar's Auto Union Type C Hillclimb version and their Ferrari 250 GTO power plus 1 from my "local" (Pendleslot). Both have (had! I tinkered) their little problems. I don't usually go for cars of the 1930's but the A.U with it's double wheels at the rear looks pretty wild. As for the GTO, well I finally got around to buying one of the most beautiful looking cars on the planet.

I decided to get the Green GTO No. 35 because no one in their right mind has a GREEN Ferrari
As is the case at Pendleslot, the guys are pretty good about letting you handle the cars (especially when you've turned up to buy something
). They also have a nice little sport track set up in the shop for impromptu road tests. Well, the GTO didn't get that far! The rear wheels had a really bad tight spot. Turns out that the crown wheel was buckled - it was an abysmal mesh! Soon got that sorted thanks to Nick who swapped another GTO chassis into the car - mesh sorted
Ferrari ran ok on track, but I bought some Ninco rear tyres for it.

Now to the Auto Union. It ran fine on the track in fact Nick said that it was one of the smoothest he'd seen
However, the poor little HO motor wasn't going to cut it for me, so I opted for an SCX Rx motor (not a known powerhouse, but more in keeping with the car) and its appropriate adapter.

It was only when I got the wee beasties home and started putiing the new parts in the Auto Union that a rather damning fault reared it's head. Again it was a transmission problem. The crownwheel was buckled similar to the GTO's. However, the pinion is stuck on the end of an adapter on these motors. In my case the pinion wasn't fitted straight, so the mesh worked
Obviously this wasn't to be when I offered up the SCX motor. Fortunately I had a spare plastic crownwheel. Everything seems to be fine with the two cars now. I can only wait until Tuesday to give them a test on Pendles proper track.

My predicament ended happily for now on two counts. Firstly, there was the excellent service from Pendleslot. Secondly was the fact that one of the first things I do with a new slot car once it's at home is unscrew it
Now I'm into the hobby, tinkering is part of the fun.

However, picture Joe Soap. Knows nothing about slot cars, but wants a nice, historical car to run. Takes it home, and Oh Bugger! Now obviously the faulty car(s) can be returned, but surely the quality of mesh on the transmission should be checked at source when the manufacturer has assembled the cars.

I've had this conversation with Sean at Pendleslot and he quite rightly said that Pink Kar Kars (cars!) are usually bought by enthusiasts who know what they're getting into most of the time, but it still highlights a basic problem.

Mark.

·
Registered
89 Posts
There has been a recent thread over on SCI RE: Pink Kar Ferrari 250.
I do see a problem, if you live in the USA and order one and it comes defective. What then? You just can't take back down to the corner shop. It's a pain sending cars back across the country (domestic) retailers as it is.

Of course, this problem is not just Pink Kar, it's all those slot cars not generally available in the U.S.

So many slot cars, so little time and money.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I also recently purchased an Auto Union and would like to give it an RX engine. Can I just swap for a scalextric contrate and use the Pink Kar axle and wheels. How did Pink Kar attach the rear wheels. Were they glued on. They don't seem to pull off easily and I don't want to destoy them in the process.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
for the exhorbitant price you pay for a pink car you,ve got every right to expect a car to run right, straight out of the box. its such a simple basic design, that you dont expect cheapo parts to be thrown into it. they must be making 95% profit on every car they flog. john

·
Nobby Berkshire
2,015 Posts
Pendleslotracing sold you cars that did not work and you were happy with the service?

Pink Kar made very cheap and cheerful models when they were in business, and were famed for a few duffers coming through. You used to be able to buy them for next to nothing in some outlets. But what you've probably done is buy them at inflated prices as they are considered by some to be collector items now that the company has gone bust.

Taking into account how old they are ( the green Ferrari must be about 12 years old?) then parts will break and degrade and deform with time and storage conditions.

Just replace the parts and wonder whether they were worth more than £15 when you bought them. That's how much people were paying in some outlets a couple of years before they went out of business.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
so glad they,ve gone out of business, they still made a hefty profit even at the prices you quoted, incidentally i never saw them at those prices[i dont disbelieve you] and i bet difflock didn,t pay £15 a car. they,re going for silly money on ebay now. i retract the first statement, its a shame to lose any manufacturer that makes unusual slot cars. john

·
Jim Moyes
5,074 Posts
QUOTE (Screwneck @ 22 May 2012, 07:23) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Taking into account how old they are ( the green Ferrari must be about 12 years old?)

But not when this thread was started 8 years ago.

To answer (partly) Whitworthnut's enquiry that revived this thread, the Pink Kar wheels are just a (tight) push fit and the usual slight rotating action will free them up.

·
provider of comestables
833 Posts
For what ever reason they put that gud awfull little box motor in however I have had loads of fun with a Auto Union with a hot revving Mabuchi stuck in. Much of the rest of it was the same but altered the guide from twin pins to a guide blade if i remember. even raced it for a while, never won, but I had a big smile with tail out corners and wheelspin any where. just needed to remember to brake very early.
Dave

1 - 9 of 9 Posts