Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Can somebody tell me what I am doing wrong. I am currently modifying a Scalextric Renault F1 to a BAR F1. I have modified the rear to a shape I feel more accurately represents the BAR using filler and an old credit card!

The problems started when I added the first coat of Primer. Where the original plastic of the Scalextric model is exposed the primer is reacting badly and not covering at all. I am using standard Halfords primer. I have made a lot of plastic models in the past without this problem but have never used an existing Scalextric car before.

 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
985 Posts
I think the problem lies in the fact that plastic kits are Styrene based, and paint will stick to it, and mass produced slot cars are Ethylene or something similar and paint will not. Styrene is too brittle for the demands of home racers. I have overcome the problem in the past with spraying it first with Letracote Matt Spray normally used for protecting Letraset. Whether it is still available I don`t know. I have also used a thin layer of PVA glue sprayed on the shell first. That also works. Its a good idea to key the surface with a very fine paper or Cif bathroom cleaner first. Hope this helps steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will check this evening to see if it is bear plastic or printed areas I am having problems with. I think it is both!

I tried sealing it under some hand painted enamel paint but it still seemed to react through that! I was thinking of using some Klear to seal it and then spray the primer. I am getting fed up with sanding it down!
 

·
Alan Tadd
Joined
·
4,029 Posts
I always rub down any existing paintwork with fine finishing paper, (available from Halfords or their equivilent), and have never had a problem. Even with the horrible old plastic used in the Scalextric Ferrari P3 days.

Regards

Alan
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top