SlotForum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I bought today a Professor Motor controller, the PMTR2044, the one for Scalex and Ninco. I am very happy with it and it's really a pleasure according the regular scalex 60ohms controller I used to use before.
Nevertheless there is something I canno't figure out myself so you may help me. My controller does have 18 semiconductors but on the web site of the Professor Motor, I see this controller should have 24 semiconductors and I have seen that as well on other web sites and pictures.
I guess 24 semiconductor should be better for less sensitivity when you power your track with high voltage such 18-20V. With lower voltage such 14-15V it shouldn't be an issue.
So how many semiconductors do you have on yours 18 or 24? Did I buy an older version of this controller with only 18 semiconductors?
As well something very surprising: I have found with the controller (inside the plastic bag) the optional variable sensitivity kit PMTR2071 the one with screws & nuts in order to short out the semiconductors and so change the sensitivity. I believed this kit was optional and not included. Did you find this kit as well when you got yours?
As well your best configuration with the sensitivity kit are welcomed.

Thanks for your help.

Maverick.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hi Maverick,
All things electronic are a black art to me so all I can tell you is my PM2044 has 24 black things that could be diodes, arranged in 8 banks of 3. Its about 6 months old, bought from HRW. The bag just had the controller, no optional kits.

Have you tried emailing the Professor's website? I haven't needed to but I have heard he's VERY responsive.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, indeed the black things are diods and are semiconductors and mine have 2 rows of 8 and 1 row of 2 (total of 18). I guess I will drop a message into the mailbox of this dear Professor Motor!

Regards,
Maverick.

·
Rich Dumas
3,675 Posts
PM controllers use diodes to drop the voltage, unlike resistor controllers for the same amount of trigger pull you will get the same voltage, no matter what kind of car you have on the track. With resistor controllers the car's motor is also a factor and you have to use a low ohm rating controller for hot motors and higher ohm rating controllers for stock motors. The difference in the number of diodes is due to the different voltages that the different scales use. The nominal voltage for 1/24th racing is 12 volts. 1/32nd tracks tend to be slightly higher at maybe 14 volts and the standard for HO racing is 18 volts. The diodes each drop 0.7 volts, that is 12.6 volts for 18 of them in series and 16.8 volts for 24 diodes. The 24 diode controller is usually recommended for both HO and 1/32nd cars.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks very much for your interest & nice feedback on our products.

The normal specs for the PMTR2044 would be 18 diodes & that tuning is
notably for the 17 volt Ninco power supply that kicks out around 20 volts.
The Scalextric system actually delivers a somewhat lower voltage.

If the 18 diodes perform well for your situation on the Scalextric track with
the power you are using & the controller is not too sensitive, then we would
say you are OK ... if you experience a feeling that the controller has too high
a sensitivity (too much power to the car on the first band) .. then we would
be happy to exchange it for you for a controller with more semiconductors.

The variable sensitivity kit in your package was apparently a bonus & is not
normally included in the 2044 model, but in included in the 2043 model.
That sensitivity tuning kit can be used with any of our newer "Silver Series"
controllers to tune the sensitivity (you can only make the controller MORE
sensitive).

Please get back to us if any problems & Happy Holidays !

Professor Motor

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Professor for your reply and I have to say that your controller is really a hit and I can recommend it to everyone who wants a excellent upgrade for their track and just for the price of car! (it's a little bit more expensive of course if you live in Europe, I did buy mine at 70€ and the regualr price in the US is around 50$)

I am using a variable output voltage power supply for my Sport Scalex track and I have found that the controller fits me without using the sensitivity kit around 17V. I have tried with 20V and it's true the controller may be a little bit sensitive but anyway I won't be driving my car at 20V all the time I want to save the engines a little bit! So I would say the controller fits me.
By the way I am the same person who mailed you today about the resistor issue, one more time thanks for your help and support.

Regards,
Maverick.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts