SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the progress so far on our new track, seems like it's taking forever! Still lots of work to go.

We've got grass, and some foot paths, a lake, and garage buildings in place. At the moment, the grandstands are sitting on the back straight, waiting for the area they belong in to dry.

Here's our lake and what will be a pedestrian area around it.

One of our three elevated areas on the track. We'll have more detail on it later.

Hill #2. Again, needs detailing. This is our corkscrew turn around this hill.

And here's the full view of the track so far. Still a lot to go!

Tom

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (Mb. @ 19 Mar 2008, 19:32) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Looks good!
You keep up with the latest things happening on the earth on that Newspaper track!

Better the News gets the dropped plaster and paint than the track. Anyway most of the news deserves to get dumped on !

Tom

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's some photos of our latest progress! We now have the basics done, now on to all the detail work. You know, like shrubbery, people, and all the other things that bring a track to life...

Here's a 3/4 view of the track, with the work to this point.

Here's our small lake. There will be a lot of detailing to do around this area.

The corkscrew.

Another decreasing radius and descending turn.

There is so much work left to be done in this area, it hurts to think about it.

Here's looking down the full length of the layout table.

At least it's now recognizable as a racetrack.

Tom

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Brilliant!
What a transformation in such a short time, well done!

·
Registered
53 Posts
QUOTE Wingless Wonder Posted Today, 11:21 AM
It looks so much better without all that paper and with barriers added on!

I agree.I saw it the other day and thought um um um yep hmmmm

But now i think it looks excellent.Love the worn path look in the grass.
Also love the white track outline. Is that staying or is it masking tape for painting etc

Well done Ragnar

THC

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (THC @ 23 Mar 2008, 06:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I agree.I saw it the other day and thought um um um yep hmmmm

But now i think it looks excellent.Love the worn path look in the grass.
Also love the white track outline. Is that staying or is it masking tape for painting etc

Well done Ragnar

THC

Thank you.
The white curbs are staying, I like the retro look it gives the track.

Tom

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (athrlyth @ 24 Mar 2008, 19:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Really good looking track, I also like the grand stand buildings can i ask where did you get them from please. i am looking to buy at least one more maybe two.

Athrlyth

Thank you.
The Grandstands are Artins that I painted to look more realistic. At $11.50 each from Fantasy World Hobbies they are a great deal, they come with some unpainted figures.
We now have our driver stations built, and our sensor track made, we hope to finish our wiring tonight, and run our first race next week.
We will get more images posted soon. We still have a lot of work to do to get it looking the way I want it.

Tom

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, we took our first laps on the track! Of course, we found some slight problems to iron out, but we're getting there.

Here you can kind of see what we've done.

Here's two cars coming down the straight from the start!

Tom

·
Registered
70 Posts
Great looking stuff, could you just give a quick description of how you laid the flock/grass please, as I'm looking to move from just painted green boards to a more natural more life like look.

Thanks

Great space you have there aswell, makes the table look smaller than it probally is, lucky boy

·
Registered
449 Posts
QUOTE (VTS_16v_Boy @ 26 Mar 2008, 06:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Great looking stuff, could you just give a quick description of how you laid the flock/grass please, as I'm looking to move from just painted green boards to a more natural more life like look.

Thanks

Great space you have there aswell, makes the table look smaller than it probally is, lucky boy

Thank You!

I use ground foam for ground cover. For grass I use medium green, burnt grass, and yellow grass. You want to vary the colors, because only a golf green is one perfect shade of grass. The best advice I can give you is to go out and look at how grass looks in nature. For bare earth use a mixture of colors of earth textures. You should also use a variety of coarseness in both your grass and you earth cover.
I paint the area a base earth color, which will vary depending on the area you are modeling. After the paint dries I use a 50-50 mix of white glue and distilled water painted on the area I want to cover with scenic texture,work in small enough areas that you can get the textures(ground foam) sprinkled on before the glue dries. After you have your scene the way you want it, spray the area with the same glue mix using a spritzer bottle that you can buy at Home Depot, or any other DIY Store. It is a good idea to cover your track when doing any terrain work so that you don't get plaster, paint or glue on it.

I hope this will help you.

Tom

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, we did a little bit of running to get some times, and the track seems to be very smooth and quick! Erik took my NINCO Mosler Club Car around at 4.25s. Our Scaley 911 Porsches all seem to be running around the 4.9's, NASCARs just over 5, Scaley GTs are running in the 4.8's, and the NINCO GTs all seem to be running in the low 4's, between 4.25 and 4.35. Not bad for a new track!

This little car, with no magnets, turns a little over 6 seconds, which is about right for these cars on our 63-ft track. I'm afraid the Scaley classics are a little too fast for them.

Here's the track's first big wreck! The Team Sebah Porsche decided to run into the stands. Luckily there were no fatailities!

Tom

·
Registered
107 Posts
LOOKS FLIPIN GREAT

from world news to real eye opener the track config is basic but im sure it runs well

How did you go with painting your track i have noticed some guys getting in too trouble with bubbles peeling and dust etc
{did you use heat to seal the track b4 you painted it}

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
QUOTE (GarageRacer @ 27 Mar 2008, 19:31) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>LOOKS FLIPIN GREAT
How did you go with painting your track i have noticed some guys getting in too trouble with bubbles peeling and dust etc
{did you use heat to seal the track b4 you painted it}

Thank you!

The problem with Scaley Sport is the mold release agent they use. You must get it completely removed before painting.
To remove it use a small scrub brush like the type used to scrub veggies in the kitchen(but not the same one unless you want to sleep in the dog house
). Use a mix of 91% Isopropyl, distilled water and dish detergent to scrub the track. Make sure you get all of the mold release agent removed (The track will no longer feel greasy).
After the track has completely dried, paint the track with light coats of Krylon Primer for soft plastic, this should also include the borders and curbs if you plan to paint them. I used Krylon Grey Primer as my final coat on the track surface, Krylon Camo Khaki for the borders, and Krylon white primer for the curbs.

Tom

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We've started laying out and setting up our pit walls, and a few hedges around the track. We still have to get the pit walls painted and the lines painted on the pit entry and exit and the pits themselves. Of course the hedges still need some ground foam foliage.

Tom

·
Registered
326 Posts
QUOTE (Ragnar @ 6 Apr 2008, 05:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>We still have a lot to do!

I reckon that the beauty of this hobby - enjoy!

Looking great, looking forward to the progress.

Regards OTFS

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.