SlotForum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen and ladies, you see before you the beginning of another project. This project will create a (resonable) small scale facsimile of a 1:1 car I used to own. GRN 307W, a 1981 Rover SD1 3500 SE automatic. Long since gone to the great scrapyard in the sky, bless her steel & alloy heart.

Speaking of her heart, it may still beat, 8 to the bar, under the bonnet of some Land Rover. Yes, she stayed in the local area through two further owners. It was an unfortunate twist of different amounts of money which prevented her from ever returning to me. I had arranged to obtain the paltry asking price of £150. I had spotted her driving to and from Bae Warton where I used to work and soon tracked down the owner (he used to have Capris !). However, the weekend came up and all hopes were dashed - a neighbour of his came up and offered £300 cash because he wanted the V8. Enthusiasm & sympathy have no place in the world of cold, hard cash.
The guy never even had chance to get one of her chrome V8 badges or even her registration plate. It was a case of engine out, scrapyard truck punches grabs through her windows and off she went

Oh well, sweet memories...... anyway...the project's called Flying Pig for obvious reasons.

My SD1 ended up being jet black with black alloy wheels. I believe that black wheels are quite fashionable these days, but I pre-dated that idea by about 14 years!!

Mark.

·
Registered
325 Posts
SD1, wish I was old enough to have seen them driving around in their prime.
Those Rover V8s...

Speaking of SD1's, I found one the other day. A car dealership near my school, behind a Mondeo estate, sat a dust sheet covered silhouette of a mighty rover. I lifted the sheets, a mint browny SD1. Didnt get much of a chance to look though.
Glad to see some are still very much alive.

James

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
Mine was called Mr Rumbly. Monza red - the high lead content one that was banned even in the 70's - with Dave Price Racing wide arch kit and high lift cam, 245/55s on Compomotive split rims.

I was working at Austin Rover at the time and mildy obsessed by the TWR ETC cars, especially the Bastos sponsored ones. Fortunately I got private mileage to use the car for work outings - a whole 50p per mile which at the time more than paid for the running cost, even if it was the most unreliable car I have ever had.

And for no other reason that it was the next picture in the folder here's my most expensive accident. A then new BMW 850i after a meeting with a tree. £17,500 to fix.

·
John Roche
4,157 Posts
My first car was a 3.5 SD1. It was an automatic and made quite a contrast to my bikes. I don't bother with owning a car now though.

John

·
Registered
303 Posts
Ah look at the young scott there!!!

Good effort on bending the beemer though
, glad your ok after it!!!!

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
Oddly, there aren't many. I wasn't into taking pics then. Those that I have are in the shoeboxes under the stairs. In other words a bit like America or Australia - I'm sure they are there, but not easy to get to.

·
Phil Kalbfell
3,373 Posts
Good to see I am not the only one building a 1/32 scale SD1.

We are running a Group A series in about 7 weeks time so I started with a Scalex body narrowed it to 55mm and have fitted a shortened Ninco M3 chassis. the Scalex body also needed some sills added and front dam and rear spoiler. It is ready for undercoat so I will post some pics ASAP.

Phil

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sweet Phil

Mine's just going to have some decent tyres fitted and another motor rather than be an all out competition beast. Don't get me wrong its speed will be rather good, but its handling may not be in the Slot It category

Hmm.. then again...

Mark.

Inte - at least the out of shape SD1 has a quick steering rack (standard fit) to help it get back in shape

·
Registered
356 Posts
I remeber a few years ago whilst driving home from then girlfriends finding mysely in close company with a SD1, I was driving my Turbo'd Manta (as mentioned in a previouse post) Anyhow the driving got shall we say spirited
coming of a roundabout on a dual carriage way near M'BRO the SD1 driver lost got on a huge powerslide caught it the car slid out the other way (fishtail) by which time i am standing on the brakes anyhow he never caught the second slide the car hit the curb collected a lamp post cought some air spinning around. Needless to say the car was distroyed though the driver was relativly unhurt
. that was the end of another V8 beast the driver was gutted

Anyhow thats my Rover V8 story. I tend to believe that every petrol head has at least one rover V8 story bit like the Mini in that respect

Wayne

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sorry, Bill, to see a real flying pig, visit our local constabulary and look for their helicopter!

...as long as the Amry don't sell them some secondhand AH-64D Apache Longbows....

Mark.

·
Phil Kalbfell
3,373 Posts
I have finally finished my Flying pig!

Based on the TWR SDI that ran at Bathurst in '84

It is a Scalex body narrowed to scale,vac formed interior,styrene roll cage,resin drivers head. Wheels are Team slot Alfa. Chassis is a shorteded Ninco BMW angle winder fitted with a Rabbit.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Phil!

Must get some bumpers for mine too - not done a thing with it yet apart from starting to clean it.

Mark.

·
Anthony Bartlett
3,255 Posts
Phil
- nice one - u have any pics of the work in progress - would like to see how you narrowed the car................

·
Phil Kalbfell
3,373 Posts
abie321: sorry don't have any working pics. The car was narrowed down the centre from rear to windscreen. Then cut along the bonnet moulding lines section so that the head lights were the correct dimensions.

When doing jobs like this the perspective has to be maintained.

Phil

1 - 18 of 18 Posts