SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These pictures were on my last reel of film. The whole thing is inspired by EM and David Lawson's F1 projects, but I also wanted to try Al Penrose's idea about castor steering. The whole thing's going to be a bit of a handful with the Scaleauto power, but the useful thing was that I was able to safely grind away the shell interior to fit it, since every time I offered up the motor to the body, it left some of it's red can paint where it touched the resin. So just by repeatedly grinding the red marks away, I've now got a nice snug fit and a suitably low slung shell, although the motor is still quite far forward and needed a long pinion to reach the Slot-it contrate.
The front wheel carriers are old brass bearings, the Maxi-models wheels held on with countersunk screws. The whole thing is drilled through to stop the screws unwinding, and slides up and down on the piano wire suspension so that the front wheels stay in contact with the track and steer properly. I plan to use the anti-roll bar as a light spring to stop them bouncing too much. I havn't put the steering arm on in these photos. The body helps keep the suspension securely in place- other bits will be fixed to the shell itself.
I've got some nice Maxi-models engine detailing to go on the back end, so a lot of that moulded stuff will be cut away next. Another Classic shell, by the way, and I already have the Patto decals waiting!
Methinks a whole load of lead will appear on the chassis when I get round to track testing.
Now- wings?

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
That is looking very nice Howmet and superbly engineered. I await the wings with bated breath.

My Lotus 49B is progressing slowly.

David

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Very nice, as usual, Howmet!

I sincerely hope that you will be making the Team Lawson M7A -- just to get David going!

The car was chassis number M7A/1, which Bruce McLaren drove in the 1968 World Championship, and acquired by Team Lawson at the end of 1968 for Basil Van Rooyen to campaign in the 1969 South African Formula One Championship.

Van Rooyen won the opening race, the Cape South Easter Trophy at Killarney (Cape Town), in January 1969, beating John Love's Team Gunston Lotus 49B. He also won the Coronation 100 at Roy Hesketh on the 7th of April, and finished 2nd to Love at the Rand Autumn Trophy at Kyalami on the 26th of April 1969.

In the South African Grand Prix, Van Rooyen qualified 9th, just behind the works car of Bruce McLaren and ahead of Beltoise (Matra MS10), Siffert (Lotus 49B), Ickx (Brabham BT26) and the works BRM's of Oliver, Rodriguez and Surtees. He retired early in the race with brake problems.

Kind regards

Russell

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, JP- havn't had it running yet- pesky Xylon needs finishing.
And I'm afraid I have me little pot of official McLaren orange all ready and waiting, Russell. Bruce was my hero. I saw him punt the the car off into the bank at Brands right beneath my feet.....

·
Dennis Samson
807 Posts
Russell,

Thanks for reviving old memories - I can remember "Snazz Bas" running that car at the old Kyalami - where do get all the pictures?

Do you have a copy of the old Prototype Parade drawings of the M7A? I'm pretty sure they did one.

Dennis

·
Alan Tadd
4,039 Posts
Very impressive Howmet. I would like to see the steering system in a little more detail if you can drag the Digicam from Mrs. H's hot little hands.

Regards

Alan

·
Registered
153 Posts
hi

eu... Howmet tx, is it possible to have here a picture of the front tire, where we can see the articulation of the turning front tyre

thanks a lot

·
Al Schwartz
3,396 Posts
QUOTE The front wheel carriers are old brass bearings, the Maxi-models wheels held on with countersunk screws. The whole thing is drilled through to stop the screws unwinding, and slides up and down on the piano wire suspension so that the front wheels stay in contact with the track and steer properly.

Aha! - sliding pillar front suspension - this is really the first Morgan F 1 car!

Very nice work, indeed and I am awaiting more details on the front end as well.

EM

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
QUOTE (howmet tx @ 19 May 2004, 19:31)I have me little pot of official McLaren orange all ready and waiting
What paint are you using Howmet, I can never find the right shade of McLaren Orange.

David

·
Registered
153 Posts
QUOTE (Ecurie Martini @ 21 May 2004, 05:35)QUOTE The front wheel carriers are old brass bearings, the Maxi-models wheels held on with countersunk screws. The whole thing is drilled through to stop the screws unwinding, and slides up and down on the piano wire suspension so that the front wheels stay in contact with the track and steer properly.

oups... i'm afraid that i didn't understand everything

a picture will help me with this explaination

elicend

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got some laps in today, JP! Mighty twitchy little beast, but the steering works a treat! Looks just the ticket. Although one of the dummy suspension links fell off already. Colin Chapman would be proud of me. Needs lots of sorting, but very encouraging so far. The main problem is threading the lead wires through the suspension without fouling the movement- it needs to be very free and loose to work. I need some bright ideas...

I got some 'touch-up' paint from Max Winter of Maxi-models- he sells it as a spare part in a thin mix ready for air-brushing. He did mention what colour it is exactly, but I've forgotten. Give him a call, David.

More photos soon if anyone wants to have a go at making one- without all the mistakes...

1 - 20 of 121 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.