SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
OK, thought I'd start a new thread (so it's easier to ignore if you wish lol), with the project, aka 'The project'

Seriously though, the mission is to recycle as much as is possible from a 60 x 40 inch Sundeala railway baseboard and thus find a permanent (storable) layout using the Street Mayhem Scalextric set.

Ok, so an inspection of the board tells me I may not be able to salvage as much as I'd hoped (really hoping that at least some of the lake can be salvaged and the 'sea' at the right end). However, to also fulfill the main criteria, I've discovered that the resulting layout is by necessity a little dull too. Originally I'd envisaged an Angelsey or Pembrey kind of feel -but space-wise this project just doesn't seem to offer the chance at 'realism' I was hoping for. I have discovered that elevation adds interest -so maybe that seaward side will become a tiny slice of Monaco with a tunnel to the back edge (detachable). The 'loop' will allow for a detachable hillock (housing the majority of the scenic elements) placed opposite the main straight, and I've decided there must be some hard standing (pit area) on the left infield for spare cars. This moves away from the realism feel I"d pictured all along -but does offer the possibility of a distant town/harbour village too. I need to build some sturdy Silverstone style catch fences. I've not got to grips with the the available track lengths yet -the power startline length straight seems too long (aesthetically speaking) for the back section of the board - but not sure whether I can purchase the right combination of short straights (the start straight, chicane etc all seem rather odd lengths -and of course if a lap counter is added it could get even more complicated). I could extend the front of the loop with a couple of short straights if need be.

First project though is to sort out the out of scale MINI (although I can't do anything about that awful front overhang!) -which I think will happen in the next fortnight -purely paint work changes -useless at the more mechanical/technical side of scratch-building and modifying!

Proposed (very rough) track layout (although it was necessary to move the chicane to to the right had side (between the bends) and extend the track that end front and back.

Thanks for reading, hope this is of interest. And with any luck it won't be a repeat of the railway layout without a home which has been 'under construction' for the last decade

·
Premium Member
2,574 Posts
Hi opposite lock, good to see that you have made a start, well done

Tony

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (slowracer @ 17 Jan 2010, 07:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi opposite lock, good to see that you have made a start, well done

Tony

Thanks Tony. I've had a look -doesn't quite constitute a start yet lol, lots of mundane stuff to sort and distract in the meantime.

QUOTE (Julian_Boolean @ 17 Jan 2010, 08:13) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You can use a Micro hairpin and two 45 degree bends to replace one of the 90 degree bends.

I like that idea a lot Julian -thanks! Although I shudder at the idea of getting balsa surrounds/scenic bits cut for that shape

Got some beautiful metal double lamp standards off ebay -I can see this project rapidly becoming a harbour setting at this rate!

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Good stuff.

There are lots of options for lap timing if you go that route, so pick our brains (although not to much, we need some to walk upright and pull a trigger
)

You might want to investigate kill switches too.

·
Registered
319 Posts
QUOTE (montoya1 @ 17 Jan 2010, 10:04) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Good stuff.

There are lots of options for lap timing if you go that route, so pick our brains (although not to much, we need some to walk upright and pull a trigger
)

Haha, you read my mind (admittedly it doesn't take long)! I'm not a fan of Scaley counters -usually each lap is accompanied by the sickening thud of slot guide on plastic. Just wondering if there are any cheap infrared ones, pressure strips or similar out there? I'm sure Tandy/Radioshack would have made something has they still been in business lol.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
The cheapest way I ever saw was using one of the Micro RC timers, Tomica or Tomy made them I think. Only good for one lane though.

If you have spare PC or laptop there are cheap options there. Depends if you want to time laps, or merely count them.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't think there's an awful lot point in timing a sub 2 second lap really for my needs - so it's just to rack up the laps. Sadly I don't have a laptop (I'm Mac anyway, which always causes problems somewhere down the line).

I will investigate your suggestions thanks -although I've just seen seen the old Aurora vertically mounted lap counter 'bridge' on eBay - that brought back some memories -especially those odd occasions where it doesn't 'count' but just obstructs a rapidly moving vehicle
Probably still have mine somewhere.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
What is the Micro Scalex unit like? Looks impressive, if a little too colourful
- but I have never used one.

You might enjoy kill switch racing.

I think we already covered using 2 power packs and 2 terminal straights, right?

·
Registered
319 Posts
I don't know how the micro counter actually 'feels' in practice -never had one, but looks a bit cumbersome for my needs really.

No, not investigated kill switch racing or multiple powerpacks yet - this project is really just about getting the best i can from the set I was given -otherwise I'd be starting from scratch no doubt - and probably wouldn't be using Scalextric in the first instance.

We used to work on the 'lapping' principle - if someone was lapped a certain number of times per timed session they were disqualified. And racing halted to clear crashes too.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
A kill switch keeps things closer, and you limit the number of kills allowed per race. I did this for years when I had my home tracks and before I know about club racing and the internet, I would say without such switches I probably would have drifted away from slot cars.

Of course for club races, with more than two lanes and a heats/finals structure, to say nothing of marshalls, you don't need switches, but back then they kept races close that would have been over early otherwise. Coupled with a winner stays on but changes lane rule, we had a format that worked for our tiny group of loft racers.

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
The Micro lap timer is okay but it does have the hefty clack as the car goes through it.
I use a Carrera lap timer which is battery powered and goes ove the track, it's intended for 1/24 and 1/32 cars but works with 1/64 if you lift the track by about 6mm, mine cost around £30 from Pendles (I think), there are only two downsides to it, it doesn't like Tomy cars, I've no idea why but they set it off at random places round the track, it's fine with Aurora, LifeLike, Marchon and Micro Scalextric though. The other problem with it is that the first lap always gives a falsley fast lap time, again I've no idea why but all I do to get round it is start the race half a lap from the finishing line, this might sound odd, but if you race at Cadwell Park short circuit the start line is in a different place to the finish and every motorcross race is also like this.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE (Julian_Boolean @ 17 Jan 2010, 15:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The Micro lap timer is okay but it does have the hefty clack as the car goes through it.
I use a Carrera lap timer which is battery powered and goes ove the track, it's intended for 1/24 and 1/32 cars but works with 1/64 if you lift the track by about 6mm, mine cost around £30 from Pendles (I think), there are only two downsides to it, it doesn't like Tomy cars, I've no idea why but they set it off at random places round the track, it's fine with Aurora, LifeLike, Marchon and Micro Scalextric though. The other problem with it is that the first lap always gives a falsley fast lap time, again I've no idea why but all I do to get round it is start the race half a lap from the finishing line, this might sound odd, but if you race at Cadwell Park short circuit the start line is in a different place to the finish and every motorcross race is also like this.

Thanks Julian. Yeah, the hefty clack alarms me somewhat lol. Overhead sounds good, and differing start and finish lines is fine by me -I'm used to odd circuits. Probably a bit pricey for me but sounds worth investigating (I only plan to run Scaley and Aurora anyway).

·
Registered
730 Posts
The CHEAPEST way I can think of to count laps is this:

Have you ever noticed that if you press + then 1 on a calculator then every time you press = the display counts up one each time?

Buy two Tesco value calculators for less than a pound each, take them apart and you will find a membrane with two conductive areas for each key that gets shorted by a carbon disk on the back of the key, if you can fix a single core of alarm wire or similar to each conductor, OK this aint easy but try holding wire down with very fine nose pliers and a blob of hot melt glue on top, then make hole in = key and reassemble with wires sticking out of hole. Press + then 1 and each time you short the wires it should count up one. Repeat with second calculator.

Buy two of these reed switches from Maplins and use these glued under the track on the outside of each lane slot, attach wires from calculator to each end and traction magnets from passing cars will activate them and make calculators count laps.

Lap counters for less than a fiver, but oh my is the attaching wires to membrane frustrating

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wow Marc,

that is a truly evil scheme
I had trouble with carbon drum pads on Yamaha keyboards so can only imagine calculator ones

I've put out a few feelers to see if anyone I know is daft enough to attempt such a task (I don't have any tools, or a table here lol), then I'd take all the glory by gluing the reed switches to the track!!!

Thanks for the idea

·
Registered
319 Posts
Sorry, I appear to have lost the big momentum for a while (self promotion and lots of art work overtook proceedings) but with a consignment of bits and pieces delivered courtesy S Racer esq I have March 1st pencilled in as the week for the scenic conversion (as I'm home all week). Although as I'm letting a group of heavy metal loving newbies loose on the circuit next week I have to hope everything survives! Thanks for the suggestions re lap counters Marc and Julian -but I had to bite the bullet and go Scaley for now (hey I have a birthday coming up....wonder what I'm going to ask for?!), and the hairpin suggestion will be implemented too!

One downer is that I've had my eye on some fleabay runners, and someone has been going around these last few weeks putting no less that 45 bids on various stock -and I'm not prepared to pay £6+ for something that's been in someone's airing cupboard for three years -yeah, call me picky!
Although the Gotham City police car (with flashing lights) does look very tempting for use as a course car.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts