SlotForum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, many times this year I've been asked to put on a display for slot cars, mainly using a Scalextric type layout. Oil companies, Race car teams, school events etc ; I used to do it and it was great fun, but a personal business interests means time constraints for these extra activities.

This latest one has me thinking however. Largest model railway show in Southern Hemi-sphere, first time in twenty years they are letting any other hobby in. For three days of the Queens birthday long weekend 1800 kids per day will file past the train layouts, a Scalextric track without a doubt would be the most interactive for the crowd.

At the moment, I'm inclined to decline.

Quite simply, I think a certain percentage of this effort will reap rewards for someone else and besides, its technically not my job to promote slot cars as a hobby. Great fun for my family yes, but boosting sales in any way, again,..

whose job is it..?

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
I would say anyone with the desire/time and enthusiasm but they SHOULD get support from the local outlets and more importantly the COuntry or Regional Distributor IF that Distributor knows what they are about and the show is serious.

If you are into the slot hobby then it is in your (and everyone elses) interests to promote it locally, with help financial or material is even better.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
If you PM me the details, I know of someone who might be interested in putting the time in to produce a layout.

McLaren

·
Registered
289 Posts
"Largest model railway show in Southern Hemisphere, first time in twenty years they are letting any other hobby in."

Just for jollies, what organization is putting on the referenced model railway show?

Second question: why do we have model railway shows for the public but no model racing shows?

·
Premium Member
5,559 Posts
Answering the question, or not, I don't think it is the 'job' of anyone to promote the hobby (Moped was self-appointed and I'd say it was a 50/50 split as to whether he helped or hindered his brand). The hobby is serviced by numerous businesses who understandably might want to promote their brand but not the hobby in general.

If you have a club and are so inclined, then promote it by whatever means and fingers crossed you'll get a benefit; but don't expect anyone else to have anything other than a vested interest in their brand.

·
Matt Tucker
3,550 Posts
I thinks it is all of our responsibility and that can either by doing events, supporting your hobby shops, partaking in on-line forums, writing articles, having racing with mates at your home, supporting newbies in car set-up, etc., etc.

Doing one or many of these or many other things I deam as promoting this hobby and we all do it.

I'm putting up a small layout at my son's school (5-11 yr olds) winter fayre this Saturday with all proceeds going to the school. I'm expecting mayhem and aniliated cars but it will be worth it to see the big grins. I'm sure it will result in a few more kids pesterings their parents for a slot car set for Chrimbo - good for the local hobby sotre and maybe get their Dads hooked to join our racing fraternity and maybe give the kids a long term hobby. We all win and all I give up is some time and a few £'s for tubes of superglue that will be required to put the cars together again!
Matt

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just for jollies, what organization is putting on the referenced model railway show?

Its a group of quite a few different organizations who have a representitives form a single train show committee and they just manage it from there year after year. Its apparently all paid for, all exhibitors are paid to attend.

I liked Wank's comment about the helping or hindering concept. Just imagine a Hornby rep casually strolling up and witnessing the whole thing at its worst. (Actually, thats never happened yet)

I hope not to put anyone off who is thinking of doing this. We used to have a great time, I'm sure you will too. Its been my experience to quickly nab a few Train(carnival) weekend orphans and get them to operate your display for you. Basically they just come up and keep hanging around. I used to let them use the track for free in return for them timing and organizing the other children. Usually works a treat. You can just burn them out all weekend and conserve your own energy and there are always fresh kids abandoned on a regular basis. ..and before I forget, for all you single slot car racers.. two words..
Single Mums
!

·
Gregory Petrolati
1,022 Posts
Y'know, I think I come down on both sides of this question...

I'd love to have all the manufacturers a bit more public over here. I think the market potential is huge (despite our economy and the weak dollar). If they don't go public (TV adverts) and give retailers incentives to carry their product who's gonna know it's there? Who's gonna care? Just us... the hard core slotters.

OTOH, if we aren't going to be public about our hobby how will it grow?

greenman62

·
Registered
289 Posts
UKS, I was just curious how the train shows were organized on your side of the lake.

Here in the States, big train shows are commercial endeavors put on by promoters as for-profit entities. In Atlanta, we get two or three a year. One is a traveling train show promoted by the Greenberg folks (a name which should be familiar to you).

http://www.greenbergshows.com/

Then there are the "Great American Train Shows"; in fact, their latest event in Atlanta was this past weekend.

http://www.greatamericantrainshow.com/

Another show was promoted by a local guy, Jack Martin, was passed away last year but his organization is continuing to produce the show.

Most of the exhibitors at these shows are vendors selling stuff, who pay for their spaces. The local train clubs are (I think) invited to display layouts and the like at no charge. The promoter charges admission and then pays for the hall out of the space and gate proceeds. These shows must generate a profit for the promoters, as they keep on producing them.

Greenman, the cost of advertising on television (except for regional cable ads) is too great for just about anyone in the slot racing industry. What could be (and should be) done is a repeating series on the various types of slot racing, to be shown on public TV channels, like the model railroading series "Tracks Ahead" funded by primarily by Kalmbach, Walthers, et al.

http://mptv.org/Trax_main.htm
http://mptv.org/Trax_support.htm

(The comments from series sponsors in the second link immediately above are particularly interesting.)

With the availability of PC-based video editing systems, the cost of production of TV shows has dropped. Such a project would require funding support from a consortium of slot racing companies who see the benefits of promoting the hobby as opposed to their own interests, and perhaps the technical support of a local public broadcasting station.

Unfortunately the history of cooperation in the slot racing industry suggests this is very unlikely ever to occur.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts