ProNoMag 2018

Tags
pronomag
6K views 50 replies 9 participants last post by  Gareth 
#1 ·
ProNoMag 2018 - proxy race on a wood track

Date: February 24, 2018

number of cars per entrant: max. 3
The track: app. 78ft. 3 lane wood track, latex paint, copper tape for the rails - magnets have no effect
the race: race will be run in lane 1 and 3, 25 laps practice, 25 laps race, the slowest 5 times will be deleted
the power supply: each lane has a seperate adjustable powersupply, 1.25 to 19V @ 3 Amp available
the timing: IR light bridge and laptimer 2000
the controllers: available controllers: 90/75/60 ohm parma eco, 45/35/25 Parma eco, 25/18/13 parma eco, 15/11/8 parma eco, i will choose the controller where the car is driveable as its best during the practice laps.
entry fee: 15 Euro (is used for return shipping of car)

Rules:
1) car must be approximately 1/43rd
2) max. width 50.8mm
3) no fluid may leak out, no grease, oil or braid juice may pollute the track, no tire glue or similar
4) teams may ask for a special voltage where the car should be run.
the standard racing voltage depends on the motor. I will run all cars @ 12V, SCX and Carrera motors @15V, G9330 & Fyrebox@9V, Kyosho@16V, KyoshoX@13V.
5) car must have a body that looks like a car, race look prefered, but not necessary
6) no silicone tires, rubber and PU are fine
7) no pin guides (like carrera or artin)
8) all tires have to touch the track
9) cars must run 20 qualitfication laps on lane 1 prior to the race. Cars must get a fastest lap in this heat under 13 seconds to qualify for the race. Please don´t worry about this rules, stock SCX or Kyosho cars can do it easily. Only the fastest 20 cars from the qualifying will run the race. qualifying times will be posted with the race times.

concours de elegance: the best looking car will be voted by the host and get a special price.

wide open rules again, ladies and gentleman, so build your fastest, smoothest 1/43rd car for this race. just tune your stock SCX car a little and maybe blow the doors off all others, built something that was not seen before, it´s up to you.
Who will have the fastest car?

list of prizes by now:
tbd

have fun, Peter

See less See more
#2 ·
pnm18001.jpg

pnm18002.jpg

pnm18003.jpg

pnm18004.jpg

pnm18005.jpg

pnm18006.jpg

The BARC Team arrived some time ago already, the first on the track for the race!
Nice lineup, forward to see how they will run!

The PRT decided on the entries for this race, as it became clear that no new car will be ready for the race. The 962 is quite an old car, which already ran in some races. But it is still very, very fast. Will have to check gear clearance, it seems to have a little too much side-to-side-play in the rear axles.
The Mini JCW should have run last year, but wasn´t finished in time. So it will run this year. Looking forward to see the lights around the track.
And last but not least the remotored Exige which already ran in a ProNoMag. New tires and new motor, a mild one this time. Maybe will change to clear glass windows before the race if i can finish it.

So, whose car will be next on the track?

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
also arrived are some prizes for this race:

a very nice Lotus Exige - Kit from DC in Hamburg:

pnm18_015.jpg

Aki sent a big bag of sanding drums

pnm18_016.jpg

Aki - 4 pcs of tires from Slotcartyres.com

pnm18_017.jpg

from the puddle race team: 10 pcs constant light circuit boards

pnm18_018.jpg

from the puddle race team: 3 pcs G9330 Goldmine motors (38.000 U/min @ 12V

pnm18_019.jpg

from the puddle race team: Dots and start grid markers

pnm18_020.jpg

from the puddle race team: 1/35 garage kit

pnm18_021.jpg

#20 ·
Qualifying session!

This post will be about all the cars that failed the qualifying due to the rules and the reasons described above. All other cars are in the race!

pnm18_152.jpg

pnm18_153.jpg

Dan - Ferrari #3

12V 45ohm

10.9s

wobbly guide stem, wobbly front tires, unsealed

not a bad car to drive, but jumpy and rattling a little down the straights. very nice to look at.

back end seems to work great, all the problems seem to caused by the front end.

pnm18_150.jpg

pnm18_151.jpg

Lloyd - Imp #19

12V 45ohm

13.6s

DNQ

a nice littel car, but with a big problem. in left hand corners, the guide blocks and doesn´t return to the middle position. this means going around every left hand corner very, very slow and this was the desaster for the lap times.
If the guide moves free in every directin, this car could be in the middle of the field.

tires are offering medium grip only, not good grip.

pnm18_154.jpg

pnm18_155.jpg

Aki - Audi #5

11V 45 ohm

10.3s

motor came loose in training lap #7

glued back in, opened body screws and motorpod screws. realised that the screws will drag on the track when opened, i put them back in. back end stays jumpy in this setting, but the car will go around the track. even bigger rear tires or filing down the screw heads could be a solution. with a different setup this car could be seriously fast!

it runs really smooth on the straights, even in the corners, but under load it gets jumpy.

pnm18_162.jpg

pnm18_163.jpg

Boro - yellow Exige

10V 45ohm

10.7s

DNF

car runs nice and smooth, but the crown came loose in lap 2 of the training. Push it back, when going very carefull and slow, i can get 2 laps until the crown is not in contact with the pinion. What pushing the little car with all the power of the bigf FF050 motor, the crown is loose in half a lap.

sorry, DNF

what a great looking car, i look forward to race it ...

pnm18_160.jpg

pnm18_161.jpg

Holger - green Exige

10V 45ohm

11.1s

DNF

a loose pinion did not allow faster times. it spun out of the corners, it spun on the straight, you could the motor revving up with the car not getting any faster.

sad to see, as this car handled good as far as i could see, but as the speed were quite slow due to the pinion, who knows.

but it runs smooth, very smooth.

Holger - orange Exige

14V 90ohm

12.1s

left front up in the air

way too stiff guide cables, make the car hopeless in the slightest bends. did not run in the Essess, but blocked in the slot every seconds.

run smooth on the straights, would be a nice runner with softer cables.

but with these cables it´s no fun at all.

pnm18_156.jpg

pnm18_157.jpg

DC-Käfer

9V 45ohm

9,7s

smooth running car, very weak brakes, a little too much weight maybe. on-off-lights.

likes to run deep into the corners.

pnm18_158.jpg

pnm18_159.jpg

Daniel - Porsche #11

10V 45 ohm

10.2s

great running car, good balance

but man this is loud!

pnm18_164.jpg

pnm18_165.jpg

Tilo - Porsche #6

9,5V 45 ohm

10.7s

long gearing

you can actually feel the heavy engine block pushing out the car in the corners. low CoG, but limited cornering speed.

pnm18_166.jpg

pnm18_167.jpg

Peter - Porsche 962

15V 90V

9.3s

the Porsche is still a very fast and very smooth car. This years changes to the side to side play in the rear axle and also in the front axle made it even smoother. At this speed you have to concentrate hard, but you will be awarded with really fast lap times.

I wanted to have the Mini and the Lotus in the race, so the Porsche stayed in the garage for the race.

#22 ·
The Race!

Welcome to the ProNoMag 2018!

After a hard qualifying session, we are ready for the race. There are some really intersting and good looking cars this year! Would you like a guess who will win? I think competition at the top will be close, really close!
And if you ´re not into SPEED! than simple take a look at these astonishing cars!

pnm18_101.jpg

pnm18_102.jpg

pnm18_104.jpg

Lloyd - #28

12V 45ohm

nice and smooth running car, good handling, tires could use a little more grip to be faster.

nice to drive! guide is on the shallow side.

pnm18_103.jpg

pnm18_105.jpg

pnm18_106.jpg

Ingo - Alfa #0

14V 90ohm

long gearing, CoG a little high, weak brakes.

awesome gearing sound which I never heard before. on-off-lights

opened the body screws helped handling a lot

nearly got DQ for rule #3 - too much oil on the braids!

had to solder the braids to the motor wires in lap 1 on lane 2. easy fix, could use softer motor wires with a little bigger cross section.

pnm18_107.jpg

pnm18_108.jpg

pnm18_109.jpg

Ingo - Alfa 156

14V 90ohm

nearly the same as #0

grippy front wheels make the car tricky in the corners.

left front wheel is barely touching the track

opened the body screws helped handling a lot

near DQ for #3

pnm18_110.jpg

pnm18_111.jpg

pnm18_112.jpg

pnm18_113.jpg

Holger - Gulf Exige

14V 90ohms

what are motorpods for? to move. it doesn´t make any sense to fastened the motorpod screws to the very end on the Desmo. it needs to move just a little, to be able to help handling. With a blocked motorpod, it´s running like a one-part-chassis. Not bad, but not as good as it could.

the big fronts are giving the Exige a higher CoG than on my Exige, making a bit trickier in the corner as it will roll before it slides.

Also the guide cables are way too stiff and the not working fog lights are blocking the way of the guide. Why use a braig guide when there is a clear space problem? Use wire guides! More reliable anyway!

pnm18_114.jpg

pnm18_115.jpg

pnm18_116.jpg

Dan - Lexus #4

13V 45ohm

sealing the front tires could help handling in this car.

during training lap 7 the left rear wheel came loose and hit the bystanders. no problem so far
wink.png

nice running car, but the guide is a tad on the short side, causing deslots. good handling.

fixed the right front wheel before it came loose, already was on the way out of the wheel arch by 2mm. gearing could be a very small tad shorter.

pnm18_117.jpg

pnm18_118.jpg

pnm18_119.jpg

Dan - Porsche 917 #2

6.5V 15ohm

this car took some time to get used to it. it´s like artin driving - much, much motor and weak, weak brakes! but it makes a really nice, smooth drive once you get used to it. needs a way shorter gearing to master the Desmo in a shorter time, but it can be done for sure and easy.

Gulf color scheme is always great and the modelling on this car is really nice.

Very few deslots due to a nice guide rotation angle.

pnm18_120.jpg

pnm18_121.jpg

pnm18_122.jpg

Aki - Tuner #9

14,5V 45ohm

fast and smooth

very limited guide travel caused more than one deslot!

guide a little shallow

#23 ·
Aki - Tuner #9

14,5V 45ohm

fast and smooth

very limited guide travel caused more than one deslot!

guide a little shallow

pnm18_123.jpg

pnm18_124.jpg

pnm18_125.jpg

Aki - Tuner #8

15V 45ohm

smooth and fast running car.

weak brakes due to long gearing. limited guide travel blocks the sliding when slightly overdoing it in a corner.

looks great, i like the flat blue and the clear windows with the inlay in the tuner body.

but this car is seriously fast, when you got accustomed to early braking points, it runs very good!

pnm18_126.jpg

pnm18_127.jpg

pnm18_128.jpg

DC - red Exige

15V 90 ohm

open up the body screw s helped a little, but opening the screws of the motor pod shaved off 0.5s of the lap on the little Exige with the on-off-lights. nice drive.

too stiff guide wires!

the back end keeps trampling in the corners, otherwise this is a very nice car to drive!

pnm18_129.jpg

pnm18_130.jpg

pnm18_131.jpg

DC - Fiat

15v 90ohm

smooth and fast, on-off-lights

runs great and fast. a little snappy maybe.

i´ve seen cars that are easier to drive fast, but this little Fiat is fast. But you have to be on your toes all the time!

pnm18_132.jpg

pnm18_133.jpg

pnm18_134.jpg

Daniel - Gulf Benz

14V 90 ohm

oh yes, that´s what i´m talking about! light body, great working chassis with good guide travel, motor not too hot, but with great controll. optimum gearing. you can position it perfectly for every corner. fun to drive.

really, really fast! great controll, just a gear noise coming from the rear end.

pnm18_135.jpg

pnm18_136.jpg

pnm18_137.jpg

Daniel - Ford GT40 #6

14,5V 90ohm

for sure one of the smoothest cars i ever had on my track!

and man it runs! everything working as intended, just fine.

what a great drive!

do i have to send it back?

a really smooth car, fast to drive. awesome to look at!

pnm18_138.jpg

pnm18_139.jpg

pnm18_140.jpg

#24 · (Edited by Moderator)
pnm18_141.jpg

pnm18_142.jpg

pnm18_143.jpg

Tilo - Porsche #3

11V 45ohm

the twin engined beast! very nice gear sound, 2 motors driving the common rear axle.

guide movement a little limited.

fast with good brakes

man, this is a great looking car! I really like it! so great too look at standing still and flying around the track!

this little car is the driver always, all the time, telling to go just a little faster, come on, there is a little left, go faster!

gear sound changed during the race more than once, not really reassuring, but the car ran great till the end of the race!

pnm18_144.jpg

pnm18_145.jpg

pnm18_146.jpg

pfuetze - Mini JCW #7

11V 45ohm

running loud, CoG on the high side, but the lights look great
smile.png

good balance, good acceleration and brakes, seems that the driver lacks the skill to tame it
wink.png

pnm18_147.jpg

pnm18_148.jpg

pnm18_149.jpg

pfuetze - Lotus #43

13V 90 ohm

the little Lotus is a little snappy in the corner, but a fast runner.

loud when going, it gets smoother the faster you go.

and it gets fast under pressure. the snappiness is going and it bites the track. very nice to drive fast and fast it goes. and smooth, too.

#26 · (Edited by Moderator)
Thank you for all of your effort putting on this and all the previous Pronomags Peter, you put in a lot of time and effort!

Driving the Desmo looks like a lot of fun, but not for 10 hours at a time in what must be a cool room as you had a coat on!

Best regards, Lloyd.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.