SlotForum banner

Proper use of dipped headlights...??

2K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  Difflock 
#1 ·
See less See more
#5 ·
Diff.... excellent!

Not sure what the first clown was thinking though.... outrigger on edge of shoring and already listing to a 20 degree angle.... no, wait, I can identify... we have had more than one crane go on its nose because the twit at the controls wasn't reading the situation properly!

Great laugh, though!!

#7 ·
QUOTE Would 'OOPS' cover that, d'you think?

Not where I work! But "You're fired, you're toast, you're outta here!" usually does!

I keep trying to picture the car owner, who obviously was a brick short of a full load anyway, watching the crane topple over to join his car in the water! And then I picture the operator of the second crane... chuckling away to himself when he sees the mess for the first time!

Sorry.... if I sound too jovial, I do similar rescues on a regular basis within the confines of a very large railway yard.... I'm never surprised to see the extremes to which some people manage to advance an otherwise basic situation!

#8 ·

That's a Corolla which reminds me of another strange but true incident. About nine years ago we hired a photographer to take some shots of the Starlet, we are constantly taking shots of the cars and use the same few photographers, but ask them to try something new.

Yup, you guessed it, our man put a car on a cliff edge and the car fell off into the sea. Fortunately he was unharmed and we got more coverage for the accident than we'd ever have got from the picture he was trying to take.

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
Fergy can visit here anytime!

It's interesting to ruminate on how the first crane's dive actually happened.
Apart from the crane not being lined up straight on the quay side and thus reducing the affect of the rather small outrigger, it looks as though the straw that broke the camel's back was due to the placement of the sling, roughly centre of the Corolla's window frame. He has th Corolla well out of the water and then I think the car must have swung just enough to cause it to tilt and slither the sling to the back corner of the window frame, where it would have stopped with a jolt - just nicely enough to topple the crane . . . it probably wouldn't have happened if the sling had been placed in the window's corner in the first place and might not have happened if the crane had been in line with the quay side.

What do you reckon, Fergy?

AFTERTHOUGHT
With reference to Difflock's original post, still vainly trying to figure out how 'dipped headlights' might have saved the day! Maybe if the Corolla's lights had remained on, the diver could have positioned the sling better under the murky waters?

Come to think of it, this is Ireland and they were probably all pissed out of their minds anyway and NOTHING could have prevented any of it!

#17 ·
Wankel, you should see the whole list!

Tropi, you may be right about the sling placement. It certainly looks like a bad location to me and sudden slippage would have placed an enormous, and sudden, load on the crane when the sling caught the rear of the door opening. But the stage was already set when the crane operator attempted to continue the lift with the crane on such a wild tilt - I would guess about 15 degrees, if not more. Warning bells should have gone off in someone's head long before the crane got deep-sixed. They were already in trouble even if the sling didn't slip. Even a sudden stop/start of the lift hydraulics may have pitched it over.

And I resent your reference to Irishmen drinking!
Now.... where did I leave my beer?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.