SlotForum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Circuit Owner
5,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you have seen the general SlotForum thread I started a while back on the modular digital track design.

I have decided to pin the summary designs on our club forum and give you all a chance to comment before we start the serious CAD drawings for the CNC machine.

The original thread is HERE - but please comment in this thread

The squares on these drawings are 400mm. There is a scale along the left side and bottom edge.

It's all 3 lanes (single lane pit entry and exit but 2 lanes in the actual pits). Tightest curve is not quite as tight as R1 and widest curve is wider than R4 - probably R5 or even R6.

3 lane start/finish straight.

And yes - they will all fit in the club room.

Let me know what you think

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
JESUS!

Haven't been on here in almost a week and wow this design has really come along since the first draft.

All of those track layouts look awesome, the only comment I have is that I can't wait to try them out!

·
Registered
495 Posts
With the GT Raceway you'll need to get the drivers to stand back from the track so they don't block one another's view of the top right corners (E D)

Will you be running with or without marshals?

Apart from the above, they layouts look OK for running without marshals

A marshal will have difficulty getting to cars that deslot going into corner C without interfering with one of the drivers.
With 3 of the tracks moving the driver stations a little to the right will help, but that idea won't work with the GT Raceway layout. There is a similar difficulty with the right hand driver and section D on the GT Raceway layout.

·
Circuit Owner
5,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good points.

I can solve the GT raceway thing by substituting 2 part "F's" for the part "D's".

Driver stations are not finalised - long fly leads are the order of the day I think, until we can settle on positions.

·
Circuit Owner
5,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The lane changers are the rectangles with crosses inside - for example a section G has three lane changers (this configuration is necessary because it is a 3 lane track and lane changers only switch between adjacent tracks).

·
Circuit Owner
5,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AAAARRRGGHHHH!!! SECOND THOUGHTS!!!!!

Having read quite a lot about 2 lane vs 3 and even 4 lane digital tracks I am beginning to think we should keep the principles of my modular track design but limit it to 2 lanes and have more lane changers instead.

It seems that 3 lanes run on a long track and using fuel simulation can result in cars getting very strung out and not actually interacting with each other. Less cut-and-thrust and exhilarating overtaking manouevres.

I want a big track with long straights whne we race NASCAR and long tricky technical sections when we run Rallycross but I want close racing. So - do we keep the design but scale it down to 2 lanes and up the frequency of lane changers?

I wondered also if we should take a lead from SS67's track - he runs 2 lanes but a 3 lane start/finish straight with his grid set 3 on lane 1 and 3 on lane 3 with the middle lane unoccupied and a few straight lane changers peppering the straight. You can imagine the fun deciding whether to blast straight ahead or dive up the inside. I don't know where he merges - probably after the first corner.

The pits could still be 2 lanes with lane changers and quite long so we can avoid pushing people out of the pits (it would become a black flag offence).

It also means the track pieces would be lighter and easier to make (I wouldn't need a CNC machine to rout a 2 lane track with embedded lane changers).

Comment please club members - and anybody with relevant experience

·
WRP World Champ 2015/2016
4,279 Posts
I'd stick with 3 lanes predominantly throughout. We all find the theoretical fastest line and religiously do it lap after lap.
You could then introduce some two lane sections later.

The NASCAR track in Essex does a really nifty job of putting long racing squeezes in and that looks from their vids to make for good tight racing.

Don't over analyse it and don't try and incorporAte absolutely everyone's ideas, we could be talking about it in 12 months time, else! Get the rough idea in your head and get cracking.

Is there any particular order you were thinking building in? The reason I ask is that you may be better off going for the NASCAR first, then using scaley track on boards to work out the variants. Try a few club nights and sees what happens.

·
Circuit Owner
5,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Snurfen,

Yes - NASCAR first - if only because of the wow factor.

If I went 2 lane I could make the track far more easily and cheaply (AND quickly) - every lane change point would only require one SLC and not three. Also I would make a jig and rout two parallel slots myself (on three lanes the middle lane would be too much of a stretch for my routing skills and my cheap router!)

We could open it out to 3 lanes for the rallycross sections - that would make overtaking easy for the braver drivers.

Just thinking out loud.

·
WRP World Champ 2015/2016
4,279 Posts
That's a fair point justifying two lanes. It would also get it up and functioning far sooner.

As for the rallycross, you could put all manner of devious bits in there, cars crossing from out to in etc etc (not on the flipper, hard routed, so to speak). Hmmmm, there's an idea!

In two weeks, I'll bring that little rally board down I made as a proof of concept, along with a little warm-up track I'm knocking together on the weekend.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
It's still hanging in there!

And it's still a really fun track to run on

Sub 10'scnds is O.K depending on the class

Sub 9'scnds is a respectable time / Sub 8.5'scnds & you're getting there ~
Sub 8'scnds = You're flying / Sub 7.5'scnds & you're close to the lap record

1 - 12 of 12 Posts