SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been messing with the track planner again. Thanks to GRAH1 upgrading to Carrera, I've taken over his old Polistil track, which works out at about 4 sets of figure 8's but with some banked curves included too. Here's 3 ideas for the attic space I have, approx. 3.6m x 1.7m. It's all standard curves and straights - the banked curves are the smaller section ones (6 to make a 180 deg turn)

What do you guys reckon. Which one should I go for?

Mark.

·
Graham Windle
4,442 Posts
Think I prefer the middle one but I would take the esses out f the front straight and put it on the other side and make the front a long straight.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Where would I park the bus then?

When you say the other side do you mean the straight immediately behind that front straight? I've got to have a "Bus Stop" in my layout haven't I?

BTW both lane lengths are equal

Hope I'm using Photobucket.com correctly

Mark.

·
Alan Tadd
4,030 Posts
Mark

I think the bottom one is easier to marshall and there is less chance of coming off under the bridge.
I would also take the esses out of the bottom straight for variety.
Nice looking options.

Regards

Alan

·
Registered
75 Posts
QUOTE (BEEJAY7 @ 27 Mar 2004, 22:33)Mark

I think the bottom one is easier to marshall and there is less chance of coming off under the bridge.
I would also take the esses out of the bottom straight for variety.
Nice looking options.

Regards

Alan
I second that

And as Alan already said: keep the marshalling in mind when you make the track....

And Very Nice work on the layputs there.

·
Brian Ferguson
3,652 Posts
I'm with Beejay too. The bottom one and move those lower esses, perhaps to the top right.

And you don't need a bus stop - it won't be parked - it'll be racing!

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (Fergy @ 27 Mar 2004, 22:43)I'm with Beejay too. The bottom one and move those lower esses, perhaps to the top right.

And you don't need a bus stop - it won't be parked - it'll be racing!

Aye! I'll make sure the bus fits under any bridgework
You say maybe move the esses to top right? Well the top right 180 degree bend on these plans is made from Polistil's banked curves (more gentle than Scalextric's). I suppose I could eliminate the banking.

great stuff

Mark.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok. One main straight going in at the front of the layout. Erm...hang on...bus wont go round banking anyway will it? D'OH!!

I forgot to mention that the track will have appropriate borders and railings around it together with some form of scenery. In addition I'll take up GRAH1's idea of using copper tape over the track rails and having the power fed directly to that so hopefully no continuity problems, but still got magnatraction as and when I choose.

Mark.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alfa, the magnets are being ditched (but not on my Indy car..yet!) however, the layout will still have the option of running mags thanks to the metal rails, especially as and when Lewis has a go

Sorry, Inte it's going to have a regulated supply so no caps blowing in my loft and scaring the pets!

Here's a plan with the main straight:-

Mark.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lap length on Carrera track is 16.11m equal on both lanes. Polistil is slightly smaller so slighlty less length, but lanes should still be equal

Mark.

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Mark

Can a track ever be designed by committee!! If you don't mind a comment from me the last design is much better but I would take out the little wiggle after the first corner and keep that part of the track as a faster section - you would have your straight followed by a couple of quicker corners before the return straight leading into the crossover/flyover section.

Good luck with the track.

David

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Not quite sure I understand David, but here goes. Assume the big straight at the bottom of the plan is the start/finish straight and that the cars run anti clockwise. You're suggesting taking out the kink on the straight after the first 180 degree corner, so that I'd have 2 almost equal long straights, is that it?

I'm not too sure about taking some kinks out. Maybe its a "value for money" thing i.e. wanting to use as much track as possible without going too stupid
and still having space for some buildings.

All this "committee" input is interesting though and appreciated.

As an aside, the flyover arrangement could of course be reversed to make coming out of the infield towards the top right of the plan somewhat easier, especially in construction

Mark.

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
What I tried to say but it's difficult to explain is;

Like you I assume the bottom straight is the start/finish and going anti clockwise you have a single standard right curve then a single straight then 3 standard curves making a wiggle before the track turns right onto the back straight.

What I suggested was that you go standard curve, single straight then half standard curve with a straight to the right hander onto the back straight... does that make any more sense?

Don't touch the rest of it though as I totally agree with you about the value for money bit.

David

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have a problem with 1/2 curves David. I haven't got any
What you see on the right hand side of the plan - those 2 180 degree corners which look like they are made from 6 half curves each, is just my way of representing banked curves within the planner software.

Because the track I inherited from GRAH1 was made up from 4 figure 8 sets of Polistil, there's only standard curves and straights included.

You're right, I could get rid of the wiggle over on the left of the plan, but I'd have to get out the hacksaw etc. I was just going to try layouts in a similar fashion to those on SF's resource page made from the Carrera figure 8 sets.

I suppose that the layout is more of a test track than a race track, but hey if I could, I'd have an industrial unit setup like Thomas does! (Wouldn't we all?)

The committee idea is working though, thanks

Mark.

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Mark

Whatever, it is a nice circuit and the main thing is that you enjoy driving on it. I hope you have fun with it.

David

1 - 20 of 25 Posts