SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Jim Moyes
5,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently my Proslot Alfa 156 has been showing signs of pinion failure- noisy running and notchy when turning the rear wheels by hand- and last night at the club it actually sat on the line and went whizz-whizz.
Rolling it forward by hand got it going again and as it was the last heat of the class I didn't lose out, but i think it's on borrowed time.

According to my usual supplier, Proslot spares are not available at the moment, so I was wondering if anybody knows if there is a suitable replacement from another manufacturer. I want to keep it as close to how it is now gearing-wise as I really like it's performance.

Cheers,

Mr.M

·
Graham Windle
4,445 Posts
use a slot it .I use a 13 tooth meshed with the proslot 37 on mine which is powered by an evo 2 Its very smooth and goes well

·
Registered
238 Posts
yeah, slo.it part fit nicely. I have a few proslot's and some have had bent crown wheels and split pinions on arrival! I jusr swap em out for slot.it stuff and they run v nice indeed.

·
Graham Windle
4,445 Posts
slot it spurs and wheels make the alfa a bit wide due to the bosses I find it best to run the standard proslot spurs and wheels or slot it plastic hubs

·
Jim Moyes
5,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers chaps!

So do I just need to count the teeth and order a Slot-it gear or is it not as simple as that? I want to keep it as standard as I can, not just for the rules, but because I like the way it goes anyway. Strangely I never really got on with Proslot at Liphook or Farnham but at Bolwextric they really are the mutt's nuts!

Mr.M

·
Registered
69 Posts
So many of these came with split pinions that I replaced mine with Fly ones from my spares box. The sidewinder ones fit all the Proslot sindwinders and likewise with the inlines, and I didnt have to change the original spur or crownwheel, worked for me

·
Jim Moyes
5,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks GT40! I did wonder about that! Just easier to post here than pull two cars apart on the off chance. Now I better go and pull two cars apart.

Cheers all,

Mr.M

·
Registered
166 Posts
Mr M will next be appearing in The SlotForum 'Swap Shop'

For sale: 2 extremely rare Fly kit cars !

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
WARNING:

Proslot and Fly gearing is not identical.

Seperate pinions and spurs must be purchased from slot.it for each. They are not interchangable. Proslot stuff is smaller, and using the wrong ones will involve penty of metal chewing.

Just thought I'd let you know.

McLaren

·
Jim Moyes
5,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Gor Blimey Guvnor ! Think I'll just go buy another car

Sean shows 2 10 tooth pinions in his Proslot spares listing with a pop-up warning to check stock before ordering. Did Proslot do a modified pinion, like Hornby had to, or is it likely to have the same problem down the line?

McLaren, what sort of metal will I have to chew to use Fly parts? Seriously for a second, are you speaking from experience or is it from Slot-it's catalogue showing different part no.s? Are Fly gears metal?

Mr.M

·
Mark R-E
2,471 Posts
Hi

The Proslot crownwheel is 18mm and the pinion 6.5mm.

The Hornby 11T sidewinder does fit on the standard spur.

The normal slot.it sidewinder pinion fit to the Proslot (18mm) slot.it crown.

The ones to avoid are the 19mm crown to sidewinder pinion - not enough space.

And the 18mm crown with the 5.5mm pinion (inline).

Anorak back on now...

Mr C

·
Jim Moyes
5,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Right ! Since last post have managed to get up out of chair and walk four feet to cabinet with Fly Classics in. Metal pinions (spur)!

So, Mr.C, you seem to speak with some authority here, Hornby sidewinders have plastic gears and re-inforcing collars, no? (they're upstairs-too far to go check). Also Hornby cars don't tend to be required at the club too often, so removing the pinion from one isn't going to affect it's shelf-sitting abilities too badly! Plus they actually might be available easyish!

Hmmmm! What to do? I feel a poll coming on!

Mr.M

·
Mark R-E
2,471 Posts
The hornby (blue or black) 11t do fit but they are little noisy compared to the slot.it gear.

Authority ??? Nope just had to sort a Proslot 911 once!!

MrC

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Sorry, I was talking about the slot.it replacement parts.

Basically, in a Proslot sidewinder the motor is about 1mm closer to the back axel than on a Fly sidewinder.

This means that spur gears (the ones on the axel) are 1mm smaller than those for Fly cars.

Therefore, if you put a Fly replacement spur into a Proslot, it will be too tight and not rotate properly and will burn out the motor. And if you put a Proslot replacement spur into a Fly car, the mesh will be too loose and you will strip the gears.

Hope this helps.

McLaren

PS. Ask if you need further assistance.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Right now I am confused.
I've got a Proslot Porker 911 GT3 and the Pinion is knackered.
I've counted it and its 10 teeth , I was just going to put on a Slot.it 10 teeth
pinion and was expecting it to work - or am I mistaken ?

Chris

·
Jan Groosmuller
834 Posts
Chris,

Important is the diameter of the pinion. Fly have 6.5 mm pinions, ProSlot (if I recall correctly) are 5.5 mm.

Spurs are also different, Fly take 19 mm dia, ProSlot 18 mm.... You will need the 5.5 mm pinion 10 teeth, and possibly the 18 mm 34 teeth spur.

Spurs that will fit your porker are the SIGS04, 05 and 06 (32, 34 or 36 teeth). Pinions are SIPI08, 09, 10 and 11 for 8, 9, 10 or 11 teeth respectively.

HTH

·
Registered
300 Posts
QUOTE (Race-Jan @ 12 Aug 2004, 09:51)Chris,

Important is the diameter of the pinion. Fly have 6.5 mm pinions, ProSlot (if I recall correctly) are 5.5 mm.

Spurs are also different, Fly take 19 mm dia, ProSlot 18 mm.... You will need the 5.5 mm pinion 10 teeth, and possibly the 18 mm 34 teeth spur.

Spurs that will fit your porker are the SIGS04, 05 and 06 (32, 34 or 36 teeth). Pinions are SIPI08, 09, 10 and 11 for 8, 9, 10 or 11 teeth respectively.

HTH
Ok , thanks for that.

So if I change the damaged pinion , I am also going need to change the Spur ??
Does that mean I need a whole new rear axel then ?? or will the Slot.it spurs
fit ok on the Proslot one ?

I am wanting to do this with minimum change & spending you see.

Chris

·
Vendor
2,940 Posts
Hi folks.

Unfortunately I do not have a Proslot crown to try here with me, I only have a chassis without crown, here, but I think that you can change the Proslot's pinion with a Slot.it pinion provided it has one of these codes: SIPS10, SIPS11, SIPS12, SIPS13 (PS is for 'pinion sidewinder).

As a rule of thumb: if you can use a Scalextric sidewinder or Fly sidewinder pinion, then you can use any of the above.

If, as Mr. Croker says, the Proslot pinion is 6.5mm, you can use Slot.it pinions above. Anyway, I will check it tonight for you.

Best regards

Maurizio

1 - 20 of 37 Posts