SlotForum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
1,560 Posts
I am afraid I cannot post pictures. I have recently bought the Prepainted Proto 1/32nd 1967 STP Paxton Turbine Indy kit. The colour of the car looks too red to me. I thought the correct colour would be more orangy? Has anyone bought the prepainted kit and what do you think of the colour?
Regards Allan

· Registered
1,156 Posts
Allan - i don't have the kit - nor had i ever seen the car in person - but i recall from a lot of color photos that the car seemed pretty red in all of them - don't recall seeing any where it fell more in orange-ish range??

Will see if i have any handy to post -

By the way - how is the quality of the kit? - i always wanted the aston db 3 but missed it at the time - it looked to be very well done - i picked up an aston db2 which is pretty nice, but a bmw 507 shell from them left me sadly disappointed comparitively!

cheers, Ron

· Alan Tadd
4,042 Posts
Hi Allan, I've got the kit as well.

The body colour does look a little too red to me, photographs I've seen seem to show a much more "orangy" colour.

I've never seen the real car, and I understand it's been restored anyway, so may not now be finished in it's original colour.

I think I'll use the shell as it comes.

Regards

Alan

· Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mike that's the car OK. Thanks

I foolishly thought it would be the same colour as the STP stickers but I do not think it was.

Tex is right when he thinks its fluorescent red

Two of my slotracing friends agree the red is not right.

Ron since I am relying on one of my club mates to build the car for me and possibily respray it. I will try and give you feedback after he completes it.

Thanks for your help

Regards Allan

· Premium Member
981 Posts
I came across this problem when doing the Lotus 56, the colour looks different in every photo I found. I think the problem is that photographic emulsions cant read flourescent colours properly and depending on the light conditions can appear anything from orange to a muddy red. Also at 32nd and 24th scales flourescents paint doesn`t look right to me, probably because we race under artificial light. The best compromise I found is Rover Vermillion(which is a bright orangy red) over a white base coat. cheers steve

· Phil Smith
4,487 Posts
Although people seem to think these STP turbine cars were finished in a flourescent red I am not so sure they were, all the pictures seem to show the cars as the same colour as the STP red on the logos and although this a a very bright red it is not florescent.
Here is a photo that cleary shows the colours are the same

I have got some good results by mixing a little orange into VW Mars red.

and here is the car I built for the 2003 Bordeaux meeting

· Registered
12 Posts
Hi Every one.
I can say that I never saw the 67 Turbine but did see the Lotus 56 a few times and quite a few STP cars after that. It was a color called Dayglow Red. And yes it was flourescent. You could see it anywhere on the track. I can say that I have never seen a photo that could come close to the real color. It almost always looks just plain old red.
The paint I use is Tamiya TS-36. I got this info from the gentleman that makes Indycals. It looks pretty good.
Hopes this helps...

David aka Lotus 56

· Nobby Berkshire
1,987 Posts
Quote "nor had i ever seen the car in person"

Evolution has passed me by. I saw a frog buying kippers at Tesco last week.

As reds never come out perfect in photography (especially digital photography) is this thread barking up the wrong telegraph pole?

· Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's news to me I never knew there were digital cameras in 1967? The thread was about the prepainted kit being the wrong colour. And I asked wheither anyone had the same kit? And could give me an opinion as to wheither it was the right colour?? By your reply there should not be any photos at all because they cannot be right??? And no I do not think your comments help in anyway!! Having halucinations does not help either? Perhaps you are on the wrong thread???
Regards Allan

· Gary Skipp
6,770 Posts
Screwneck is correct. This information will probably useless but if you go back to the Marlboro McLaren era you'll find most of the cars with a dayglo/orangey colour to them when on screen and in film they mostly appeared red.

· Phil Kalbfell
3,395 Posts
Any photo or printed colour can vary a lot depending on how it was processed or what mood the printer was in on the day. All that anyone can do is to try and find as many referances as possible and copy that.

Only "acurate" way is if you are luck enought to be able to find the colour formula for the paint.

Phil

· Registered
479 Posts
Gosh you guys like to slug it out in this section dont you, I've just been reading the Revell Fireball debate? Wow! Regarding this thread I cant realy help MKII but IMHO the model does look a little dark but as I imagine none of us have never seen the real thing who knows? Regarding the 1968 STP Lotus 56, which I have seen, this was dayglo and I believe it was the first time that this paint, developed by Dupont, was used on a racecar.

As a keen photographer over the years I have taken 1000's of race car photo's and yes this paint always comes out as a shade of reddish orange, however this year while snapping in the paddock at the F of S, my latest 'snapshot' digi camera a Kodak Z650, finally picked out the dayglow effect on anything there with a Marlboro livery on it!

· MG Brown
557 Posts
Photo technology "in the day" was unable to properly record florescent colours.

Recently I visited the Indianapolis Motor Speedway "Hall of Fame" museum and can share these photos:

I understand that this is the "restored" car following its practice accident in 1968, but the other STP sponsored cars in the museum were painted the same colour.

Note that the STP stickers have a darker background red than the car itself. Possibly the brighter colour of the car was to allow the sponsor stickers to stand out? A slightly less bright red (but still florescent in nature) was also used on the STP Novi Racers of the late 1950's and 1960's IIRC.

"Granatelli Green" is a colour that modlelers argue about like "McLaren Orange". It seems that everyone has their opinion of what is "right" so paint it to please yourself and move on to the next project!

· Mike Zimmerman
1,127 Posts
QUOTE (MG Brown @ 28 Jul 2007, 16:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I understand that this is the "restored" car following its practice accident in 1968, but the other STP sponsored cars in the museum were painted the same colour.

Just a slight correction, the practice accident WAS indeed in '68 involving Joe Leonard but, that was a totally different car. This is the '67 car you show in the museum, driven by Parnelli Jones which was deemed illegal for the '68 race.

deuce

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.