SlotForum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Coming soon, the mighty Porsche 917LH from Proto Slot Kit. The first release will be the magnificent "psychédélique" liveried version from the 1970 Le Mans 24-Hours, which finished in 2nd place, driven by Gérard Larrousse/Willy Kauhsen.

Picture courtesy of Proto Slot Kit.

Kind regards

Russell

·
MG Brown
559 Posts
I hope they sell out before Fly's similar 1970 LH hits the streets.

Note to those who don't read French well- the kit uses the Fly 917 running gear. It is in effect a "body conversion kit" for the Fly 917.

RE: long tail and pendulum effect. A possible solution could be to use the lower portion to vac-form a lighter weight duplicate part?

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
I know which one I would prefer out of Protoslot and Fly.....

The Protslot will require less work too I bet

·
Registered
168 Posts
"That's a lot of resin to have hanging out behind the rear axle."

What Scott said. Although I am intriqued by the long-tailed LeMans cars of this period, and the hippy porsche is an icon, long cars just don't handle well on my twisty track (routed, no magnets). They also tend to wipe adjacent lanes clean when they swing out their tails. Maybe on plastic track relative performance disparities may not be such an issue, but on my track stubbies like the 908/3 and short-tailed 512 are definitely quicker. But then, I suspect most buyers of this car won't be racing them.

mp

·
René 'Vialli' Christensen
4,861 Posts
Thank you God!! My prayer is heard!
Yesterday I had my TopSlot kit of the 917LH in my hands and wondered if I should make the no. 3 og the no 25 from Le Mans 1970. I got decals for both, but thought I would start with the no. 25.
This Proto Slot kit I gotta have!

·
Premium Member
5,148 Posts
Thanks Russell for posting the pics.
For US customers: Chris at Proto Slot Kits told us that we should have the 917LH in both versions as well as the Ferrari 500 F2/F1 in mid-January.

****, pre-orders show serious interest, so I do not think that the yet to be introduced FLY 917LH will be much of a factor as the Proto Slot Kits customers appear to have different motivations and like to assemble the cars.
The 917LH can also be assembled over the GB-Track 917PA chassis as well as FLY 908 chassis with minor modifications.

I am looking forward to tose tail-heavy cars, able to sweep 4 lanes across from a Scalextric Curve #1.

In fact, I have a Top Slot LH in Gulf colors buit over a TSRF chassis fitted with Ortmanns, no mags and added weight and it behaves just fine. Long-tail cars can be made to behave even against short cars. They may never be as fast but are fun. For fast, see Koford and wing cars, not 908/3s.

So far the several hundreds of Proto Slot Kits we have received and shipped caused exactly ZERO complaints from customers, so either they have not assembled them or they are satisfied. The ones I built for myself look and run great and have taken some racing abuse without damage.

One last bit of news: D&G Ostorero (Slot Indy) are going to produce the Lotus-Ford 38 driven by Jimmy Clark, Bobby Johns and others in the 6 different color schemes run at Indy in 1965 to 1967. Chris Wright of Beardog made the patterns with his usual talent, and Electric Dreams purchased the finished model and Slot Indy will manufacture it in Italy for world distribution.

Dok Pea

·
MG Brown
559 Posts
MrP; I concur with what you are saying that ProtoSlot is pandering to an entirely different market.

That having been said, I am concerned when a small company such as ProtoSlot, invests the time and capital to bring a product such as this to market and simultaneously, a major manufacturer such as Fly (notorious for production delays!) announces the same subject.

I have seen this repeatedly in the die cast hobby where virtually identical products are announced by separate manufacturers within weeks of each other.

If I was omnipotent I would wish that the ProtoSlot kit be of the #25 Salzburg car that if I recall, still holds the outright lap speed record for LeMans (admittedly on a less emasculated course than in the present day!).

With the wealth of subjects that have not been realised "in the modern era" in 1/32, my fond wish is that there be less duplication of this sort.... allowing more variety of subjects for all.

Please also note that I have some of ProtoSlot's products and can testify that they, if anything, are under priced for what you get.

Side note to SlotraceDK regarding the TopSlot 917LH: Isn't their conversion of the 1971 917LH?

·
Premium Member
5,148 Posts
I agree on all points. Chris got started without knowing the impending FLY LH onslaught. However I do not believe that he will have much trouble selling allhis production, since there are genuine "FLY haters" out there...
Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Dok Pea

·
René 'Vialli' Christensen
4,861 Posts
To MG Brown: Yes, you are right, but I bought the decals for the two 1970's cars.
Now I can sell the TopSlot kit and buy Proto Slot kit instead!

·
MG Brown
559 Posts
DK: Just checking on the Top Slot conversion. I personally like the look of the 1970 LH although the SERA nose on the 1971 supposedly was more efficient.

·
Premium Member
5,148 Posts
QUOTE (MG Brown @ 15 Dec 2004, 18:57)DK: Just checking on the Top Slot conversion. I personally like the look of the 1970 LH although the SERA nose on the 1971 supposedly was more efficient.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

****, the 1970 Elford-Ahrens car will be modeled by Proto Slot in a later version, so to make everyone happy. The "Pink Pig" has also been commandited by Electric Dreams and will be produced.
Regards,

Dok Pea

·
René &#39;Vialli&#39; Christensen
4,861 Posts
Brut:
48,60Euros
Prépeint:
57,60 Euros

What is "Brut" and what is "Prépeint"?
"Not painted" and "prepainted"??

1 - 17 of 17 Posts