SlotForum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Alan Tadd
4,034 Posts
These are great kits Sean, but the way I understand it you have to buy the recommended donor car as well to get things like light pods and interiors.
If you add that to the cost of a decent chassis,and not the Fly thing, you are more or less into Racer territory.

As much as I would like one I think I'll have to look at alternatives.

Regards

Alan.

·
Registered
119 Posts
To add to Beejay7's comments, you also need a significant amount of time and patience with these kits. The Proto kits are not shake-the-box kits and voila! a car is born. Here you are required to trim to shape and fit pieces such as the interior glass. On the 908, fitting the glass snugly into the rear deck has taken me hours. The instructions are woefully brief and there is another thread in the forum about the extra steps you need to get the 908 finished. And when I find where the engine parts go, I'll update the thread

The 1st two kits require the donor car for its running gear, interior and some detail parts such as headlight covers and engine detail which are not available as spare parts, so there's no avoiding the cost of the donor. The latest Ferrari seems to come with more (a chassis I think) but it still requires running gear.

Given the cost and the significant effort required, I would still recommend the kits in a heartbeat provided that they fall within your budget. The 908 is my first attempt at a resin kit and its been a really enjoyable experience, although somewhat like a rite of passage into a new aspect (for me) of slot cars. As for donor cars, there are another couple of threads where suitable donors are available somewhat more cheaply than RRP.

Would I buy another one? Sure.

Edit: to the original post, I still haven't found the proper helmet colours either. I'm hoping Fly researched the helmets in their other models and I'll just match names to those helmets. e.g. Larrousse is solo in their C41 Flunder and shares in some 917's, Herrmann (or Elford?) in C65 and C69 etc.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Larrousse's helmet is dark blue with a dark red stripe. Several Fly models have this helmet.

I'm not sure of Hermann's helmet, but I think it's a plain red one.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've got an RTR Protoslot 908 and the driver's helmet is red with a black peak. It also has a couple of longitudinal white lines running fore and aft - not unlike Siffert's helmet actually, but without the white cross on the forehead. Can't vouch for the accuracy though as my Porsche 917 book shows Hermann with a plain coloured helmet in the b&w photos.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Hi Syd,

As far as I know, Protoslot don't sell RTR version of their kits. It probably means that the shop where you bought your model asked someone to build the kits for them.

Regarding Hermann's helmet I think it should be plain red but it would be great if someone could confirm this.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Your dead right Fast Lucky but I asked Gary at MRE some months ago whether he could get one and eventually they supplied it. I'm told not to expect it to happen again (although there's never any harm in asking)! When I get a moment I'll post some photos.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to all who replied to my origional question.
We now have a step by step guide to building the Porsche 908 kit available on the pendle website downloadable in pdf format. Thanks to Yves Lambert for the time he spent producing such an in depth instruction manual.
For those who don't have the time or skill required to build such a kit, we commisioned Protoslot to produce a Limited number of RTR cars which he has completed to a very good standard. We also expect a similar small quantity of their latest release the Ferrari 275 in RTR form along with pre painted kits in red & yellow very soon. His latest kit is supplied with its own resin chassis, photo etch parts, decals and vac form screen & interior. Parts required to complete the kit are Ninco motor, mount, guide and screws plus choice of axles, we have used Ninco's classic spoked wheels & tyres to good effect.
Sean

·
Administrator
4,887 Posts
Hans Hermann's crash helmet was silver with a white peak.

Hope this helps

David

1 - 11 of 11 Posts