SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
LMP Round 1 - 23rd January 2018

The opening round of LMPs was a continuation of last years smash fest. Low slung prototypes bounced off each other and the barriers all night.

results.png

Highlights:

Leon had a car that was missing laps in an early race costing him some valuable points and a potential nights win.

Jason begins his first full season of racing and won a heat convincingly with a difficult car to drive.

Clive suffered guide wire problems on a few occasions, preventing him from picking up some points.

Both Gareth and RichP struggled with their Truspeed controllers, as their cars surged forward in the braking zones.

The nights final race had RichP leading with a minute to go. Then a massive pit lane pile up to knocked him back a lap or two and handed the race win to Leon, who was surprised to see the win managed to bring his total points into line with RichP as they both share the first step on the podium.

The outright win for RichP was cruelly taken away by some bad luck.

standings.png

It's as close as you can get at the top of the table after the first round. This class is a battle of attrition, who can keep their car in one piece the longest!

fastest.png

The fastest lap markers have been laid down and we should see some new faces moving their way up as they gain more experience with wrestling the faster cars around Fflatout Ffynnon. Last year saw two racers with sub seven second laps and this class boasts the club track record as Rick Dastardly hit a 6.860. Can anyone topple that this year?

reliability.png

RichP and Leon are even tied on the total laps covered, it could be another long year and a championship that is decided as much by luck as it is speed.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,521 Posts
I’m a happy bunny, that’s my first excursion into the heady world of sub 8 second laps!

·
Circuit Owner
5,905 Posts
Can't believe Leon and I had the same number of laps - given we both had issues - what are the odds of that?!?

Well I'm fast with borrowed cars and controllers - I'm very grateful to Leon, Jason and James after my Truspeeds once again let me down and my motor chewed up yet another contrate gear. This class is very hard on our most fragile cars.

I need to load up with spare gears, extra axle stoppers and some feeler gauges I think.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Great 'ClubTronics' lastnight Thanks Guys.
Leon & Mr'Modifiers repairing a broken wire on my Digi-Chip for me, quite a bit of Car-Share going on & I was able to give Kmor an axle stop!

😀👍🤙

·
Circuit Owner
5,905 Posts
Last year I posted a 6.993 and was the first to ever go under 7 seconds magless.

You followed it up at the next LMP round with a 6.860 and we were the only 2 under 7 seconds.

Not sure who was fastest of you two last night but you both got under your old record I think.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
6.860 - Don't think Leon quite hit that lastnight.
I was nowhere near it or nowhere near Leon lastnight!
Noticed that Leon is a bit thirstier this season 😀👍👍

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LMP Round 2 - 20th February 2018

IMG_0022.JPG

On a night where the flipper before the last corner caused many problems the result was still a surprise turn of luck.

results.png

Highlights:

The lane changer before the last corner had a flipper that would not stay straight for long and liked to drift to the change position, this caused many a collision going into the final bend. Flipper will need to be replaced or at least repaired.

The guide blade on Clive's Avant Slot Peugeot catastrophically failed so he borrowed Mike's Ninco Audi... and promptly went on to drive it faster than Mike! He even set his fastest lap to date and this proved crucial as Clive took the bonus point.

Leon and Rick were shaping up to be the main protagonists and in their first race together Rick stole the advantage by finishing the race three laps ahead.

Keith was running well right up to the point his crown gear started slipping on the axle, costing him some valuable points.

RichP was not enjoying himself, lack of sleep and back problems were keeping his spirits low and having to fight his car around the track was not helping him to unwind. This kept him off the pace early on but he managed to dig deep and find some performance before the end.

The final race was one last chance for Leon to beat Rick and at least tie for first place overall. A change of strategy to save fuel saw Leon just one lap ahead going into the final two minutes. Rick put it all out there to reel Leon back in but a few spectacular crashes saw him drop further back and no chance to take the win.

As they all rounded the last corner to begin their final laps, Rick had one more excursion into the gravel trap which allowed RichP into second place who surprised everyone by creeping up to be right behind Rick at the end. Rick chased him down hard but couldn't catch him with RichP taking second and crucially another point off Rick. All this excitement gifted Leon the nights win.

standings.png

Leon has a small lead after two rounds, but the better fuel performance of Rick's car showed he should still be a contender by the end of the year. RichP is close behind in second whilst there is a large gap to both Mike and Keith who are tied for third.

fastest.png

Leon finally joins the ranks of a sub seven lap and gets very close to taking the track record, but it's still not enough. Everyone, with the exception of Keith, set their fastest laps tonight. Clive putting in his best performance, in Mike's car, to tie RichP for third on a literal 2-for-1 time!

reliability.png

Not much difference at the top of total laps covered, proving that no one is really out of it in this class. A lot is still going to be dependent on reliability.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,521 Posts
Another good night's racing guys! Yes, Clive put me in the shade by lapping 2/10s quicker than me......... Mind you, having loaned Clive my Ninco Audi for the evening after his car destroyed it's guide, during Clive's last race of the night, he was involved in an altercation which resulted in the guide post holder snapping clean off the chassis! Some kind of pattern emerging here I think!

My Avant Pescarolo spare car decided to go into "fuel tank empty" mode so a big "thank you" to Keith for loaning me his car to enable me to compete in the last race of the evening.

·
Circuit Owner
5,905 Posts
Mike - persist with the Pescarolo - mine managed under 7 seconds last season before it suffered some damage. You need a Slot.it gear though because the Avant Slot gears are not up to big motors.

I have another Avant Slot in the pipeline, my Ninco is a few tenths off the pace.

·
Premium Member
2,521 Posts
Thanks Rich, my Pescarolo was quicker for me than my Audi, (but still not as quick as Clive driving my Audi, grrrr!), but I think the potential is definitely there.

·
Premium Member
2,521 Posts
Mike - You could try not braking so early before the end of The Main Drag!
I can assure you that its A, not intentional and B, inconsistent....... A bit like your lane changing ;)

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Phahaha!
Touché Longdog Sir 😀👍.
As for my lane-changing =
I'll donate a Brand New straight lane-changer to the club, to replace the changer that's just before the start of the Main Drag.
A few 'drop ins' I did on you there were absolutely nowt to do with me & my lane-changing button on my controller 👍

Good comeback Longdog 😀👍✌

·
ParrotGod
7,899 Posts
It seems like you guys are having a lot of fun with these LMPs.

And that picture is really cool with the cars looking mean.

As for the unwanted lane changing into the other: did this happen while the two cars were head to head with each other when crossing the lane change sensor?

We had a similar issue here where car with ID 1 was next to car with ID 2 when crossing the XLC: when they cross the sensors at the same time car with ID 1 lane changes and crashes on ID 2.

THis has happened more than once actually and in both cases we were using Slot.it ssd chips using the truspeed controllers.

·
Circuit Owner
5,905 Posts
Not many slot.it chips in our LMPs. No Slot.it cars allowed so its easier to fit a GregK chip than butcher the chassis - although one guy has done this but he wasnt in any LC incidents.

Not allowing Slot.It or NSR of Scaleauto LMPs has really opened up the class to an interesting range of cars. Spirit, Avant Slot and Ninco all seem to do well and Sloter isnt far behind.

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The lane changer problem needs further investigation Grunz, I have a feeling the fault is mechanical.

What I think was happening was the flipper was moving to the change position under vibration, or was bouncing back when it was being straightened.

Or it could just have been too much tail sliding going on!

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
LMP Round 3 - 20th March 2018

Relatively quiet turnout for us lately left us with only three racers on track at the same time. This allowed everyone a bit more room and a chance to stretch their legs. Would we see the lap times tumbling?

Leon took things easy at first, protecting the car and saving the tyres. In contrast both Mike and Clive struggled from the start. Mike's Avant Slot Pescarolo would suddenly stall on track for no reason and Clive's tyres on his Avant Slot Peugeot finally gave up any grip they had left to give.

Both switched to backup cars but Keith had already taken full advantage and had stretched out a few laps gap. It was Mike who took the fight to Keith, outpacing him but struggling to stay in the slot to make any headway. In the end Keith was able to maintain his advantage for the remaining ten minutes.

Mike solved his issues with the Pescarolo, it was a loose top hat on his guide wire. The car was completely transformed but it still lacked pace when compared with his backup car, a Ninco Audi R18.

Jason was rocking a new Avant Slot Mirage GR8 which had great straight line pace, but as everyone else finds, the faster motors also provide too much braking strength around the hairpins, causing them to loose any time they gain from the straight. At least Jason was able to match the pace of the front runners, if he can tame the car in the tricky sections he should be able to stay there.

A few errors crept into Keith's driving during his final race and he gave up the lead to Clive after five minutes. Clive settled down and rolled off some quick laps without any mistakes consistently. This gave no one a chance to catch him giving Clive his first heat victory in LMPs. Clive is starting to make a bit of a habit of setting faster laps in a loan car, as he promptly set the fastest lap of the night with an impressive 7.035. Leon didn't like this and gave up on looking after his car and started hunting for fastest lap glory.

In the races final heat, in the final minute, Mike had crept up on Leon as both sat on the lead lap, Mike holding a small fuel advantage. Leon had to increase the gap to give himself enough time for a splash and dash. He just about managed it as he exited the pits with Mike coming down the main straight close behind.

With enough time left just for two more laps both racers couldn't afford to make any mistakes, and they didn't. Leon just about edging the win from Mike as he was pushed hard all the way to the flag.

results.png

Leon takes the win but he did have to work a lot harder for it than anyone thought. Keith and Mike share second place as both made the most of their issues and picked up the points where the could. Clive just pips Jason into fourth place, courtesy of his heat victory.

fastest.png

With the extra space on track everyone manages to set their personal best fastest laps. Some great improvement from Mike and Jason but Clive storms up the leaderboard with his 7.035. Leon using that as motivation coupled with a quiet track to break the current track record held by Rick which was a 6.860 and now stands as 6.769.

standings.png

Not much change to the overall standings, only RichP falls a number of places due to missing this round and both Mike and Keith continue to be tied for points. Sooner or later one of them is going to break the deadlock!

reliability.png

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
LMP Round 4 - 1st May 2018

Another fiesty night of LMPs as the quicker lap times lead to more spectacular collisions on the newly painted track. The racing was very competitive and both RichP and Mike were putting some serious pressure on Leon.

Leon just about kept his neck above water, so it was down to RichP and Mike to fight over second place, Mike edging RichP by finishing ahead in two races.

RichP had third place to himself as both Clive and Jason took points of each other to finish tied for fourth. Clive loosing out on his first race as a motor pinion lost a tooth.

results.png

Keith props up the table but he was no slouch and indeed takes the bonus point for having the fastest lap of non podium finishers.

fastest.png

Just Keith and RichP improve on their fastest laps, allowing both to jump a few places up the leaderboard.

standings.png

Leon has quite a bit of daylight between him and second place but there is still a lot of racing to go yet. At the moment there are five people looking strong for a podium finish. As soon as dropped round scores come into effect the gaps will really tighten up.

reliability.png

Attachments

1 - 20 of 26 Posts