SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
LMPs - Round 1

Plenty of anticipation and trepidation in the air tonight as we run LMP cars for the first time. Early testing got everyone worried as they discovered that 25,000 rpm motors with 300gm of torque were too much to handle on the Fflatout Ffynnon plexi. Everyone resorted to nursing their monsters around instead of pushing them to the limits. It was RichP who set the pace early in his Avant Slot Mazda-Pescarolo. Creating a comfortable gap for himself he let everyone know that Avant Slot cars have a reputation for chewing their crown gears...

Oh yes he did, he said that out loud. So what happened next? Yep his car set about chewing up its crown gear costing him the race win. He wouldn't be alone however as Gareth's motor was so powerful it was popping itself out of the chassis. Keith had the surprise car of the night with his Spirit Dallara, striking the perfect balance of grip and not too much power, he was able to threaten the front runners on a few occasions right up until he thought he'd stripped a crown gear too. Fortunately it was just a case of the plastic hubs spinning on the axles.

By the last race of the night Leon had managed to put himself in prime position for the nights win, he just needed to finish no lower than one place behind Rick. Barely four laps into the race and disaster struck. Leon's car stopped counting laps and would no longer change lanes. The surface mount LED on his Slot.it chip had blown. This put him fourth for the race and three places behind Rick who had done enough to pounce into first place overall.

Results:

results.gif

Despite all the troubles Rick, Leon and RichP all managed to get on the podium. Keith grabs the bonus point to bag himself eight in total. Gareth's backup car, Fly Panoz, was lacking rear end grip but he hung in there to finish fifth. Adrian grabs sixth after sorting his rear axle issues in his Scalextric Peugeot 908 and quietly going about his business.

fastest.gif

Rick sets the early pace with an incredible 7.382 lap time, what is for now at least the track record. Leon tried hard to get close but could only manage a 7.620. RichP isn't too far off but I'm sure will show great improvement once he has replaced the chewed up crown.

Standings:

standings.gif

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
Sounds like an eventful evening! Good to see the Rickster back on form too
thumbsup2.gif

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
~ Baptism Of Fire Last-night Or What! ~​
~ Great Write'up Thanks Leon ~​
~ I'm Defo Taking The Avant Slot Hurricane Motor Out For Probably A 21.5'k *Big-Block* Slot.it Yellow Motor ~​
Print09_zps96atvdlj.jpg
~ The Car Was Fast, But Not *Pleasant* To Drive / Was All A Bit To Freakin' Hectic! ~​
~ We Have A Target To Aim For & Beat Now Though - 7.382'scnds ~​
~ A Well Set'Up Lesser Powered Car MAY Get Sub 7'scnds ~​
~ Cheers ~​

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Third / 3'rd / Turd !

Can't Believe I Only Came 3'rd = Mortified !

The stock Ninco *Blue* Boxer Motor that the car came with is coming OUT.

It was Way Way To SLOW & Way Way Way To THIRSTY !

The Avant Slot Hurricane is going Back IN !

Now that we have our chassis sorted & running at 11.5'Vlts too = I Need More POWER !

Blinding Good Fun Though !

Nice One *Slot-Dudes* ,............

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
~ I think i bettered my lap-time, but i had ZERO Top-End-Speed down the main drag ~​
~ Mcewan had a more *Punchy* Ninco Motor & Whacked an Excellent New Track Lap Record ! ~​
Print01_zpsrzqfqovw.jpg
~ Very Well Done Mcewan ~​
( F,Y,I - I'm Coming After You )​
thumbsup2.gif

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
I was hoping to join you all for this round, I've been prepping an LMP car but I haven't got around to putting a digital chip
in it yet and Mrs LD and myself had something on last night anyway, so hopefully, I'll try it out next time!

·
Circuit Owner
5,905 Posts
Hello Longdog - it will be good if you can join us.

We turned down the track voltage last night from 12 to 11.5 - doesn't sound a lot but it did tame the hotter motors and made my Avant Slot with NSR King motor much more driveable.

We debated what motor would be best and we concluded that too much torque and revs are bad given the technical nature and grip levels of the track. So the consensus is that something that churns out 22k at 12v and 250-300 gcm torque would be close to ideal.

·
Circuit Owner
5,905 Posts
McEwan - are you going to do the reliability table again this year - it would be good on all of our endurance format races - it gives everybody something to beat (their previous round lap tally). It's also a decent indicator of how effective various tuning efforts have been (when you compare how your tally stacks up against others each week).

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
LMPs - Round 2

We decided to lower the track voltage for the second round of LMPs. We wanted to take the edge off the higher RPM and high torque motors that proved to be a handful when running at the usual 12v. We did some testing practice, starting with 10v, this proved to be too low as it was too easy to drive around without coming off. We eventually settled on 11.5v as this was the most challenging whilst reducing the sharpness from the motor enough.

A great looking class, with a nice varied selection of slot car manufacturers on the grid. Ninco Audi R18's, Avant Slot Pescarolo and a Peugeot. A Carrera Bentley, Fly Panoz, Scalextric Peugeot and a Slotter Zytek.

Round 1 winner, Rick, dropped his motor back down to the stock Ninco Speeder in an attempt to improve the handling. Unfortunately this reduced it too far as he struggled to stay on the pace and burned up too much fuel. Both Leon and RichP suffered reliability issues last time out but were easily the quickest with those issues now ironed out. They just needed to keep their cars running till the end.

Gareth gave his Carrera Bentley it's first proper run out. It was surely a handful with a 30,000 RPM motor, but it did help to offset it's heavy weight. On the laps he could tame it he was able to produce some competitive times. Clive also ran his Avant Slot Peugeot for the first time and was able to put in some great laps. At one stage he was a serious threat to catching Rick for third place, but a broken guide wire lost him 10 laps in one race and ended any hopes.

RichP and Leon ended up meeting for the first and only time in the last heat of the night. Both having unbeaten records up to now, the first to the flag would be the winner on the night. Deja vu struck RichP at the first corner as he got punted into the foam crash mat, the resulting re-slot taking long enough for Leon to put in a full lap. This would repeat itself three more times in the first few minutes as Leon ended up with a 4 lap advantage before things settled down. For the remaining laps they matched each other on pace but the excitement was all but removed as those 4 laps proved impossible to get back.

The good news for Leon and RichP was that their cars lasted the whole night, even if RichP took his home in four separate compartments.

results.gif

Leon takes the win and RichP a comfortable second despite his troubles, had Rick not gone too low on his motor it would have been a struggle for RichP with all the bad luck he faced. Clive grabbed fourth and the bonus point to boot with Gareth also looking strong in fifth. Wagner drove well on his first every visit to the club, finishing at the bottom but he drove very sensibly and didn't get in anyones way. I'm sure he'll be on the pace once hes had a few more races under his belt.

fastest.gif

Once again every racer beats their personal best lap times tonight, track is still cleaning up nicely. Leon beats Ricks previous track record to set a new one, even tho Rick managed to improve on his personal best, with a slower motor. Even more impressive is that six racers all managed to nip under the 8 second mark.

standings.gif

reliability.gif

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
~ Flip i have some work to do, to stay with Mcewan & MrModifier! ~​
~ I Gotta Lighten My Car & Change The Pinion - See How It Runs Then! ~​
Print01_zps3xgz9unb.jpg
~
thumbsup2.gif
~​

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
I think Leon had a few practice laps last weekend............!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
LMPs - Round 3

With Leon fresh off his DiSCA Le Mans 24 Hours experience everyone was going to have to be at the top of their game. Even tho we have been a digital slot car club for a few years, we still complain about the poor marshaling and constant collisions on track each club night. Well Leon took great pleasure in letting everyone know that Pantyffynnon actually has it pretty darn good! Lets just say we can now describe any sub par marshals as "European" and any sub par driving as "Analogue".
smile.png

results.jpg

With the weekends racing sharpening Leon's skills he took the lead from the first race and was never caught, although RichP gave a good chase, not enough to catch Leon but enough to see him well clear of the chasing pack.

Rick was trying out a faster motor but found the extra torque too much to handle and actually saw his lap times slide from the previous round. By the end of the night he was seriously under threat from Keith who managed to put his Spirit Dallara right into the mix with some smooth consistent driving. Tied for points at the final showdown race it was all to play for. As you'd expect Rick took the early lead with a faster pace, but pretty soon he found himself visiting the weeds too often as he fought with the higher motor revs. This allowed Keith to take the lead from Rick rarely putting a foot wrong. However the pressure at the front would turn the tides and Keith enjoyed some off track excursions of his own. The lead changed hands like this all through the first two thirds of the race until Rick regained the lead and managed to stay there to the end.

Gareth fiddled with his controller and exorcised some demons because he immediately began setting some incredible lap times. Unfortunately this also meant he crashed more and harder! But there was no doubt, he was quick but not consistent but took the bonus point quite convincingly!

RichF had his first taste of LMPs in a borrowed Scalextric Lola. Even tho the car was running faster than you'd expect from a Scalextric it was still lacking the ooomphh of the rest of the field. We were all happy to see Wagner again and he skillfully piloted an SCX Cadillac around the track managing to improve massively on his previous best lap time.

fastest.jpg

Just four racers improved on their personal bests, Leon getting the lap record a little lower, then three racers in the 7.3 band. Gareth deserving some applause for getting there, just two thousandths of a second off RichP. Wagner manages to shave a whole second off his previous best of a 10.057.

standings.jpg

reliability.jpg

·
Circuit Owner
5,905 Posts
The MG Lola is actually running an NSR Shark 25k motor and a SureChange RACING guide and it is pretty quick.

In RichF's defence it was borrowed from me and I think he was mindful of the fact it wasn't his to trash. So thanks for looking after my car Rich
cheers.gif

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
~ Hear's the *In'house* LMP that Wagner was running ~​
Print02_zpsqbcxzknm.jpg
~ Noticed this morning that one side of the front axle had popped out, so Wagners last race must have been tricky! ~​
~
thumbsup2.gif
~​

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
LMPs - Round 4

A sexy looking grid of five cars arrived for the high performance shenanigans. We decided to run with three racers and two marshals so as not to over tax any one marshal. This meant three stints of 20 minutes each... proper endurance.

IMG_2516.jpg

It was a first for RichP tonight as he actually got to compete in the first race and promptly put in a strong performance to hit 137 laps in twenty minutes. leaving Keith and Clive in his wake. Clive's Peugeot was looking strong, at one stage holding the race lead, but Clive couldn't match the consistency of RichP to stay out in front, he did manage eight laps more than Keith to secure second.

Second race saw Leon having trouble driving his car. Driving Scalextric Minis last week and now upgraded LMP cars is quite a challenge, Leon was taking longer than the rest to settle in. This gave both Keith and Gareth turns in the lead until Leon recovered and got back out in front. Keith put in a strong performance mind and pushed Leon right to the finish eventually ending up just 6 laps down on Leon who managed 136, one fewer than RichPs achieved in his first race. Gareth ended up third but managed a personal best of 125 laps, his Carrera Bentley showing some good pace this time out.

Race three saw Leon face RichP for their one and only meeting this evening, the nights overall win was on the line. RichP took the lead early and held it for a while then Leon began to get into the rhythm of his car to regain the lead and hold it for a 140 lap race. RichP had less luck and could only hit 131. But it was Clive with the worst of the luck, despite being on the pace of the others, car troubles saw him spend time in the pits with just 80 laps completed. Rear tyre rubbing the bodywork being the culprit.

Race four and RichP pulled out all the stops to complete 139 laps, coming just half a lap short of hitting 140. Keith beat Gareth to second as the early promise of the Bentley began to fade.

The final race again had Gareth bringing up the rear with Leon in front and Clive the filling in a sh... sandwich. Plenty of opportunity for everyone to go for fastest lap...

results.gif

Podium was busy with Leon followed by RichP and then both Clive and Keith sharing 3rd. Gareth being the only person off the podium and therefore not eligible for the fastest lap bonus point, which incidentally he wouldn't have gotten had Keith finished fourth because Keith managed a great timed lap that went unnoticed on the night.

fastest.gif

Just the three veterans, Leon, RichP and Keith who managed to improve on their personal bests. Leon getting into the 7.0s and teasing his way into the sub 7s. RichP jumps ahead of Rick in the 7.2s whilst Keith shaves two tenths off his time but doesn't move up any places.

standings.gif

Leon has a four point gap at the front, courtesy of Rick not being well enough to race, consequently both RichP and Keith overtake Rick on the standings. Clive is hanging back having already dropped two rounds, but his car is on the pace so if he can make all the remaining rounds he should be a threat for a podium finish.

reliability.gif

RichP still leads the way in the total number of laps covered, an impressive 1,412 laps run in this performance class.

IMG_2517.jpg

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
7.036! Well done Leon. There's Defo a sub 7'scnd lap available from the track. I've only dropped 1 race, so I'm still in with a podium position shout, but it sounds like you & Mr'M are on Fire! See you All really, really Soon :)

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Oy! The 20'min race format means it's gonna be nigh impossible to catch up on the Max-Laps leader board now though - Bummer! Ce la vie - No'Prob :-/

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Na it was only 20mins because we had three races instead of four.

Reliability leaderboard is just an exercise in seeing who can do what, it's not a contest, so we don't drop rounds. Your main problem will be the rounds you miss.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts