SlotForum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I've been asked to run a track at the junior school my lad goes to. What i was thinking was a bit of analogue with an Audi TT, a lap counter/timer, and to get the little blighters to run 5 laps for 50p. At the end, the quickest 5 laps would get a prize. Now space is not a big issue as i have been given a classroom to set up in. The dilema is, how technical to have the track? I want there to be quite a wide range of times, with a lap time of about 8-10 seconds, and also how to time them all. Would a stopwatch be ok? My phone has a stopwatch on it down to .1'000s so i guess that would be ok. What i don't want is to have kids going full throttle and spinning the car off the table and breaking them.When in talks with said PTA, they seemed to think i might get upwards of a hundred people wanting a go. We are open for three hours.
So, does anyone have some experiance of doing something like this, i would be grateful for any tips or advice you can think of
Cheers Nick

·
Premium Member
702 Posts
It's not the easiest way to raise funds but it can be fun!

Don't make the track too technical!
Make sure you have lots of borders & barriers.
You'll need helpers!
Probably need power taps - at very least crimp rails before setting up.
Only use resistant cars that you don't mind being trashed and have a few spares.
Be prepared to be absolutley kn*****ed by the end!

Good luck!

·
Alfie Noakes
2,655 Posts
Hi Nick,
Have a look at this thread, it's about a track I set up for the 'kids' at my son's party. I didn't charge, and I didn't organise anything, but the 'fastest lap' challenge kept them coming back! You might find some of the comments by others useful.

Party Track

Cheers,
Richard

·
Horlicks Hero
1,941 Posts
I used to do this at my kids' school. We charged €1 for 2mins. Fastest lap of the day won a prize. Prizes were slot related such as cars or a small set. The old Start set with a pair of Audi TTs in it can be had quite cheaply. If you talk sweetly enough to your local hobby shop, they may even chip in a prize for you if you're willing to put up a sign or something thanking them for their generous donation. Hey, it never hurts to ask.

Stuart.

·
Greg Gaub
15,387 Posts
I've done digital tracks for school fetes a couple ways: full throttle without coming off just for fun, and skill based with a prize at the end. The kids loved it just as much either way. Now, I wasn't charging for the play time, so I don't know if there would be a difference, but my gut says there wouldn't be. Either they'd want to pay for a play, or not.

So, if you want to give out prizes, then there needs to be some skill involved, which means cars WILL be coming off. Set up nets or fencing of some kind to help keep cars on the table when they come flying off, and get helpers. You can get kids in line to help, or parent/teacher helpers. Whomever helps, you can't do it on your own.

If you want long lap times, then you need a large and/or complex track. However you decide to go, you need accurate timing. If you're doing analog, then get a cheap sport lap timer. If digital, hopefully you have a 6 car base.

For mine, which was digital with a prize, I gave the winner of each race a ticket and hand stamp (to ensure non-transferable). Near the end, everyone with a ticket/stamp lined up and competed. The winners of those then competed again for the final prize, which was a Scalextric car donated by local hobby store 132slotcar.us. The track was large and complex, 4 cars at a time with lane changers, and power was set just high enough for them to crash if they didn't let up for turns. The winners usually found the speed where they could hold it and not come off. Few actually learned to speed up for straights and slow down for turns. The entire time, however, was full of crashing cars, and I enlisted the help of kids waiting in line to put them on, and reminded the drivers every time to start slow and go around the turns slow, and that if they came off, it's their own fault, and they'll just have to wait for me to put their car back on.

I hope that helps you develop a plan that works best for you.
Let us know what you decide to do, and especially how it went after you're done.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
To add to the comments already made, be prepared for a hard day and have cold beers in fridge ready. We based ours on fastest lap competition and offered selection of cars. Naturally everyone wanted to know which would be the fastest car, and all assumed it was the F1 Ferrari even though the tyres were ****. Few cars did get wrecked, don't put your treasured cars out. Hardest £50-00 you will ever earn but massive kudos as coolest Dad.
Good luck

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
I took our Digtal club track to my son's summer fete

A few things first off we were inside and everthing else was outside

We ran 6 cars on a 4-5 second lap time
1 minuet practice then 10 lap race
Each race winner won a plastic trophy 4 for a £1. we paid
In about 2 1/2 hours we raised £130 aprox
Everyone loved the track and even a simple oval kept them comming back
We was the most successfull stall

This was our little effort of a track

Michael

·
Premium Member
11,082 Posts
This my main money spinning track:

View attachment 9167

It is based on Mr May's scalextric track on the telly. Only one car on the inside lane at a time and five laps for a pound. It's analogue and the PB give the timing accuracy to 1 thou seconds and a RichG tower displays the five laps in ascending order.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replies. It seems that i might have bitten off more than i can chew.

@GregK. I like it, how much to rent it?
With all this scaley talk amongst the dads i might be organising an adult race night!
The fair is on the last weekend in November, so i have a little time to plan everything. Now i'm thinking i might go digital and have 4 racing each other and just the winner getting a prize. Oh no, decisions, decisions!

Cheers Nick

·
Premium Member
11,082 Posts
Nick ........ PM

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Evening all. A bit of bad news today. I was called into a meeting with the Head of my lad's school. Turns out the PTA had drawn up a poster for me, he found out about, it and decided he would like all the glory. So i was told "thank you for all your hard work, but we don't need you now!" B*****d! A real Cheek. And i've had to apologise to gregk as he was going to drive all the way up to me and help me with the fair! I'm gutted i can tell you. That's the last time i help them out! Time for a beer i think!

Cheers Nick

·
Premium Member
11,082 Posts
C'est la vie ......

·
Greg Gaub
15,387 Posts
So... waitaminnit... the headmaster/principal nixed it because he doesn't want anything to outshine him, or he's going to set up h is own track?
Either way, what a douche.

·
Circuit Owner
5,925 Posts
Useful thread - I am doing the same thing with my digital setup in 3 weeks time.

Welnik - it would have been fun - the head is an idiot.

My PTA was very enthusiastic and the Head wanted to know if he was allowed to have a go!

I'm going to run 6 transits in a grand prix race - £1 per driver, prize for the winner, 5 laps practice and 20 laps actual race. I'm using SSDC so I will have 2 sets of transits configured - one set on full power and one set on 75% power if things get a little rough or really small kids want to have a go.

I'm running a 22" monitor as well as my laptop and using an extended desktop so the race info display is on the large monitor and I can run the admin on the laptop

I convert the transits myself so if they get trashed it's very cheap for me to replace the body at wholesale prices

I will have a couple of volunteers to re-slot but I take the view that if you ignore the advice and drive too fast you just have to wait to be put back on whilst watching your classmates overtake you!

Beer advice taken on board - local supermarket have a good offer on at the moment!!!

·
Premium Member
11,082 Posts
I have stopped using digital cars for "Crash & Burn" events .......... analogues are much more robust. Then again my track is suited to just one car at a time. You do get a lot of broken wires and dislodged sensors. Watch out for the rear axle getting dislodged from it's chassis. Tyres also have a big effect on a sustained event; you do need to keep them clean and the track regularly dusted to keep it fair for everyone.

The best customers are the two mates where one is obviously better than the other. I have seen guys empty their pockets to try and beat their mate

·
Circuit Owner
5,925 Posts
Useful advice Greg - thanks.

There are plenty of spare tyres - I make my own urethanes.

I will dust the track but it won't matter too much because we are only doing winner of that particular 6 van race and they get a prize.

I will have tape ready to clean tyres from time to time.

The event is only 2 hours so I'm hoping the vans last that long! They are based on super resistant chassis after all. However, I am taking 3 spare transits, lots of spares AND 9 super resistant F430's/GT-R's and 997's.

As I am standing on the opposite side of the board I am also taking a spare hand controller so I can quickly unplug a driver (the APB is my side and so is the starting grid), plug in my controller and ID a car.

I have very occasionally had a situation where car ID's are lost in which case I will just have to restart the race. With SSDC I upgraded the APB to the latest software fix so I'm hoping the loss of IDs is a thing of the past.

If we get popped out axles I will dial the power right down. Dislodged LEDs won't happen as the transits are DPR. I also have a 5" perimeter fence as well as barriers close to the tightest curves (the barriers are repositionable further out for serious racing).

If I get persistent offenders who ignore friendly advice to take it easy I am not afraid to black flag somebody and hand them a 3 race ban!!!

·
Premium Member
11,082 Posts
Loosing IDs usually happens after a big shunt or sometimes following a runaway car. The Incar-PRO firmware v3.3 mod for the scaley chips has had the analogue mode removed as MIH was certain that this was causing the lost IDs and runaways.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts