SlotForum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something to ponder on a Friday afternoon:

I need both a pinion puller and press. (I can't imagine needing one without the other but then who am I to judge?) Anyway, the choices at hand seems to be the gorgeous Sloting Plus unit at $80, Slot.It's nearly-as-nice unit at $60, or Parma's utilitarian, separate puller and press units at a combined cost of about $38.

I don't expect to be using this more than several times a year but I don't want to be buying junk that only lasts a few rounds.

Any recommendations or experiences?

·
Slot Car Racer and Builder
1,845 Posts
I guess it depends on how often you are changing pinions - I bought a Parma pinion puller for and a slick 7 press for $16 they aren't as fancy as the slot.it or MB slot sloting plus ones - but then I have only pressed on maybe 3 brass pinions. I have been using plafit pinions a little bit lately - they are plastic and easy to press on.

cheers
David

·
Registered
226 Posts
Considering the price asked for the poor quality and reliability of many pullers/presses, I decided long ago to make my own from old draughting instruments and miniature c-clamps. They've served me well on to 30-some years without failure.

·
Tel
4,090 Posts
I bought the ninco one several years ago, not in the same league as those mentioned, but it still serves me well.
For the low cost, its more than earned its keep

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
i bought the ninco one as well, i did make one mod to it. i drilled a 2.3mm hole 5mm deep in the pinion pusher, to allow me to put the pinion further on the motor shaft if needed. its given sterling service for years now. john

·
re member
4,193 Posts
I used a Parma puller for years but being a tool snob I bought a Hudy...this is a much more refined tool.
I'm still saving for the hudy press.

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What does anyone think about the blue Scaley unit?

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
Don't waste your money on the blue plastic Scaley jobby. For the same price you can get a Ninco one which will actually work more than once.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
are the scaley ones really that bad. pendles are doing them for £6 which i thought would have been ideal for the occasional user. its got the pinion press the pinion puller and the wheel press all rolled into one. although i,ve got a ninco one i cant see scaley flogging some thing thats not fit for purpose. by the way i,m also a tool freak the best of every thing facom, snap on, ect. john

·
One petunia in a field of onions
6,455 Posts
I bought one very early in my slotting addiction because I wanted to experience the affects of changing gear ratios. At the time, like many, I had only Scalex cars. Seemed to make sense to get Scaley parts to tinker with. So, in my innocence, I outlaid money on the Scaley Sport upgrades... gear set, ball race bearings, pinion set and ordered the puller/press. The shop that I purchased the items from made no mention of them not fitting the standard axle, but then they probably didn't know. So, while waiting for the press to come in I tinkered around a bit and, of course, discovered that the crowns and bearings didn't fit. The pinions could at least be used, and were loose enough not to require a press. Of course this has no bearing on the usefulness of the Scaley press. It just feels good to have a beef about it.

Overall the design of the puller/press leaves it with a bit of a weak point due to the length of the shafts. They bend very easily if not carefully aligned.

·
Registered
32 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks all. I will look around for the Ninco although I admit to having a streak of the tool snob in me too!

·
Greg Gaub
15,413 Posts
I use a Tire Razor pinion puller/press. Hand made in the USA by the same guy who makes the Tire Razor truing machine, it is extra long for long or double-shafted motors (4WD), and has large knurled knobs for effortless pinion pressing or pulling. I think he still has a few and they sell for about $30 US. You can contact Jon on SlotCarIllustrated or HomeRacingWorld for more information. If anyone would like a pic of it, I'll be happy to post one up.

·
Nobby Berkshire
2,015 Posts
There's a load of versions out there that are ridiculously too much for what could be such an incredibly simple piece of kit. These are only to be bought if you are the sort of person who thinks you need 12 blades in your razor to get a good shave.

The Ninco one is superb. All I've ever needed to do to mine is slip a tiny length of brass tubing over the motor press point to stop it sliding off. 2mm of tubing and a drop of superglue and it's worked fine for years.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts