SlotForum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As many know, Ross Brawn developed his competitive nature and his technical skills designing, building and racing 1/32nd scale slot cars.

As a member of the Reading slot car club, Ross pursued the hobby with passion into his early working career, contributing technical articles to Model Cars magazine and at the same time developing his business skills, when in 1970 he partnered with Tony Hough, a colleague at the Atomic Energy Authority in Harwell, Oxfordshire, to manufacture and sell slot car racing components. Their part-time cottage industry business was called HB Products - Hough and Brawn.

No doubt entirely due to a lack of spare time rather than loss of interest, Ross left slot racing behind him when he got into full-size motor sport in 1976, when he joined March Engineering. He left March in 1978 and went to Williams, followed by stints with FORCE/Beatrice and Arrows. TWR Jaguar hired him in 1989, where he designed the 1991 World Sports Car Championship winning Jaguar XJR-14, which Ross considers the best car he has ever designed.

Whenever I meet Ross, we talk about slot cars so I thought that it was about time I gave him a modern one. It had to be a 1/32nd scale Jaguar XJR-14. SCX made a nice one and LMM make a gorgeous resin version, but Ross was a scratchbuilder and raced 'real' slot cars, with vac-formed bodies! Being an engineer at the very pinnacle of motor sport - Formula One - which employs all the latest technologies, I thought that a carbon fibre chassis would be a nice touch. Who better to engage for the job than Milan Tomasek of MTR32 in the Czech Republic.

Milan didn't have a Jaguar XJR14 mould to make the body, but he did have a Mazda MXR 01. The MXR 01 was based on resurrected XJR-14 chassis #691 and had competed in IMSA Camel GTP in 1992. By making a few changes to the body, Milan converted it back to a XJR-14!

Milan decided to make the #3 Brundle / Warwick car with a carbon fibre chassis for Ross; and the #4 Fabi / Brabham car with a PCB chassis for himself, which he has asked me to get Ross to autograph.

Here is the result - the Purple Haze Big Cats:-

Milan's craftsmanship is absolutely astounding and I have no doubt that Ross will be very pleased when he receives the car at the Abu Dhabi F1 GP next month.

With kind regards,

Russell

·
Registered
149 Posts
Those are amazing! Love the carbon fibre chassis

Always had a soft spot for the Jaguar XJRs. They were just...spectacular

Cheers,
Chris

·
Premium Member
5,398 Posts
Very nice, Russell. Very nice.

One of the racers at Oxford occasionally name drops and mentions racing slots with Ross. We kinda just nod and indulge him in his fantasies. Seems you're proving him right but I think we'll still play the game with him! You can let Ross know where he can come and play with his new toy and meet an old rival when you see him. And if he wanted to show us his bigger current toy cars, well, that would be nice.

·
Digital "Tea Boy"
777 Posts
Holy
!!! Those are superb.

·
Premium Member
2,699 Posts
Great stuff. Please give us a review on how it runs. Especially with the 35,000RPM motor...

·
Registered
826 Posts
Those are amazing, I gotta check the MTR-32 site, see if he's making them available. The CF chassis is really nice too. I have only two of Milan's cars, bought them when I still had some disposable income. They are works of art, very fast and certainly unusual. I have also used his chassis' in a few of my DIY cars.

I will buy more of his cars 'though. I'm at a stage now where I'd rather have two unusual cars instead of four commonly-available cars.

Randy

·
Premium Member
5,147 Posts
Milan is the very best there is, and I am very fortunate to own a few of the truly fantastic models he has been making.
Ross will be very happy to get these beauties...

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Used used good motors too, Philippe!

Kind regards,

Russell

·
David Farrow
1,225 Posts
Hi
Please notify Mr Brawn that the Wellingborough Club in Northamptonshire would accommodate some testing he may wish to carry out with his new car. We have two tracks, Sandtex and a BSCRA raceway to try. After all they are slot cars and it would be a shame indeed if they became static shelf queens.
All the best
David Farrow

·
Russell Sheldon
2,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I met Ross at Dubai International Airport this morning and presented him with the beautiful MTR32 Jaguar XJR-14.

As you can see, he was really pleased, exclaiming: "Gosh, this is the real thing!"

He also signed Milan's #4 car for him.

Looking forward to a great weekend in Abi Dhabi for the F1 Grand Prix!

With kind regards,

Russell

1 - 13 of 13 Posts