SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newb to Scalextric Digital so I'm thinking of getting the QOS Digital Set and see it comes with a 4 car power base. I've read that some people have had issues with this power base. I only plan on racing 4 max, but will it give me problems? I'm also looking to get the extension track C8514, but will I need another power base if I'm adding more track?

·
Greg Gaub
14,648 Posts
You won't want to run more than 3 cars with the 4 car base, at least not with magnets. The power delivery on the 4 car base is pretty bad. The same power supply powering the new 6 car base will do better. If you go magless, you'll need to add borders all over the place, but power interaction won't be nearly as noticeable. You can NOT simply add another power supply or power base. For Digital, you have to replace the base itself with more that is more capable. In this case, the C7042 6 car base.

Now, if you're electrically gifted, you can perform a Master/Slave mod with two 4 car bases. This basically makes one base control the output of another as well as itself, doubling the available power. But, it's a complex mod, and not something to take lightly, or think that you can just plug them up and have them work. Even then, you don't really add anything for all that work, just more power to go around.

Personally, I say, buy that set. Play with it. If you REALLY like digital slot car racing, the next purchase should be the C7042 base. You'll already have everything you need to make it work, but it will add so much more to the game of slot racing, even without more track and cars and such, that it's worth every penny. After that, you'll be expanding your track and buying cars with the best of us. ;-)

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Although you want to ony race 4 cars with the New APB you can run 2 pace cars as Traffic for you to race against

Plus the 4 car base would come in handy for IDing your 4 racing cars

The thing to remember is you alway get the best value for your Money on a SET the only down side being is you will only have R2 bends normally

Michael

·
Alfie Noakes
2,655 Posts
Hi Jawsfan,
I 'upgraded' to digital using a 4 car powerbase, and to be honest I was disappointed and got bored with it very quickly.
I couldn't really see why everyone was raving about digital. I swapped back to analogue until the 6 car APB came out.
Wow what a difference! Suddenly I got what digital was about...
So definitely get the set, but accept that with the 4 car PB you're not getting anything like the full SSD experience.
As above, if you like digital, get the APB next and keep the 4 car powerbase as a handy doorstop/flyswat.
Cheers,
Richard

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tips freinds. I had a great read of your blog Mr Flippant for more knowledge of Scalextric Digital. I guess the QOS set will be a good start to get me up and running, then I'll save for the 6 car power base. This time I'll be limited on space, compared to my SCX Digital I used to have in my garage (it was just way too hot to race out there). I'll have to come up with some layouts/designs in a 9 x 3.5 area, which I know will be a challenge. At least this time though I'm in my house with air conditioning.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK so I took the plunge and ordered the QOS digital set online. Soon the building fun will begin, just have to tell the wife......again!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well the wife found out today about my slot car plan with a little help from my son spilling the secret too! She walked in and saw me watching one of Mr Flippants videos on the digital power base. She told me she had suspected I was up to something as I had been tidying/making room in the spare bedroom. Oh well......

·
Greg Gaub
14,648 Posts
No, not literally. By "all over the place" I meant on the outside of every turn. Even NSR ultragrips let a car drift out on a turn. Your own videos show that.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hey Jawsfan,

what about your wife´s reaction? Did you have to move in the spare bedroom too?

I hope you´re doing fine with your project and have some ideas about your layout. I´m facing the same problem - building a fun-to-drive track in a limited space. But support from the guys on the forum was brilliant.

Cheers!

Markus

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
MARS:
I'm already in the spare room for other projects! Lol. She was kind of mad at first as I had previously sold all my SCX Digital which I had spent around $800 on. But she calmed down when I told her it was 007.....she knows I'm a fan. My QOS set should arrive in work tomorrow, then the fun will begin. I may repaint the walls in the room to keep her happy a bit before I begin.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Jawsfan,
If you are in a limited space of 4' x 12' or less, check out Minardi's layouts.
He has done Catalunya (which can be adjusted for a long narrow layout) as well as his current on an even narrower space.

Cheers!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the tip Sealevel, my QOS set just arrived in work.......I can't believe how big the box is! Time to start creating tonight!

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Take a look at MARK GREEN's layout he is posting... long and narrow.
Cheers!

·
Registered
244 Posts
I went out lunchtime looking for track but both my hobby stores only carry SCX track now. I did get lucky though and picked up a Scalextric digital lap counter from one of the stores. The clerk said it was not showing up in hist system and would let me have it for $50 out the door, so I got a good buy there. Will there be any problems using this with the 4 car PB or will it only work with the 6 car PB?

I guess I'll have to go online for the track I will need.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts