SlotForum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
I've just taken a bunch of shots of some QuattroX cars from my collection. So I thought I'd open this thread and load a few up.

ENJOY

Photo Shoot : I set-up a little 2 foot wide studio on top of the narrow boat I live aboard... so one can imagine, not much room to get good angles.
I guess that's the beauty when working in 1/32

I stood with toes gripping a 2" skirting edge that wraps around the outside of the narrow boat.... resting my upper torso on the roof to get down nice and low for some half decent shots.
One false move and I'd have slipped into the canal... camera & all. At first I thought nothing of it.. as I was concentrating so hard on getting good shots.. then it dawned on me I really was paying no attention to my footing....

A few hikers walking along the toe path paused and looked on with interest.

complete set of photos will be displayed on my website found at www.comslot.com where all these cars & more will be available for sale in the near future.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
One of the hardest aspects of shooting a scene with characters is getting good focus on the head area while still controlling how much depth of field I want. It's natural for humans to be attracted to facial features. So if the eyes are out of focus a shot is lost.... and working on such a small scale amplifies things so much... just a slight adjustment with the focus ring can destroy what could have been a great shot.
Tip: to counter this, I use a rubber eye piece that surrounds the entire led screen. The eye piece has a magnification glass attached. When setting a shot, I zoom in (not with the lens) but using the led screen. This allows me to inspect the shot at pixel depth. Once I close in on an area of interest I then make fine adjustments by adjusting the focus ring. The eye piece also cuts out any external light (especially sun light) from dimming the led screen. I guess most slotcar shots won't be taken in direct sun light as these shots were... but still an eye piece or hood makes a huge difference with all shooting environments...unless of course time is a factor ie.. Sports shots where you don't have the luxury of taking time to setup each shot.

·
Administrator
10,136 Posts
Don't knock Quattrox Bleep
, without their innovation we would still be hand wiring all our digital chips...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.