SlotForum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to build a mobile 1:24 or 1:32 track. I have a trailer with a removable top. The trailer size would limit the track to be 6' x 18'. Is this large enough for a multi lane (6 or 8 lane) track? Or is the 6' limitation too narrow? Thanks for your help in advance.

·
Rich Dumas
4,213 Posts
A 6X18 track would be difficult to handle, I have helped to move a number of tracks that large. You would probably have to limit yourself to 4 lanes, 6 or 8 lanes would be difficult to do in that area. A possibility would be a modular track, the individual sections would be easy to handle, the downside being that the sections would have to be assembled and disassembled at the race location.
Here is an article on a modular track: Gypsy 2.pdf

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Hi desherburne
What sort of track do you want?
If a simple oval is what you want then 6 lane 1/24 or 8 lane 1/32 will fit in a 6x18 footprint. If you want a more complex track then , as others have said, you'd do better to go to fewer lanes or a larger footprint.(or both)
Are you planning to run the track fitted to the trailer or is the trailer just for track transport and you'll set it up out of the trailer when you arrive?
A 18x6 track rigid enough to move in one piece is going to be heavy enough to need quite a few pairs of hands to move it. Unless you're sure you'll have enough manpower when you need it, making it in smaller pieces is advisable. If you are going to have smaller pieces anyway, then a larger footprint modular track (as suggested above) might be attractive.
Unless you are aiming to set it up on the floor (which has practical disadvantages) you'll need to bring your own track legs or arrange to have tables you can use where you set it up.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I once built a 4 x 12 foot track that was very portable. It was designed as three 4 x 4 foot modules, each of which I could lift and carry by myself. Each module had a handle fastened to the underside, which helped a lot. I took that track to many slot shows, setting it up and taking it down by myself in about a half hour. I still have that track. It is set up in my basement. It has needed some maintenance over the years, but otherwise has been very successful.

I also once was able to manhandle a 4 x 8 track onto a roof rack on my car for transport to and from a slot show. At the limit of what I could life and carry myself, but I was young and stupid then.

You might be able to build a portable 6 x 18 track in three 6 x 6 modules, or perhaps in four modules. Very difficult for one person to handle, but workable with two people.

The trick will be assembling the modules with smooth track joints. What worked for my 4 x 12 track was bridging the module joints with removable sections of track. That made the alignment of the modules much less critical. It only took a few minutes to line up and screw down the bridge sections, and their transitions were square and level.

Ed Bianchi

·
Premium Member
2,773 Posts
I'd say the first question you would need to ask yourself is...what sort of cars do you intend to run on the track?
Keeping it 4 lane would give you enough space for a track width suited too both 1/24 and 1/32..but also depends on type of cars.

With kind regards
Tamar

·
Registered
561 Posts
I'd say the first question you would need to ask yourself is...what sort of cars do you intend to run on the track?
I also think... what type of racing do you intend to do on the track... as posted above as you increase the number of lanes you (greatly) decrease the complexity possibilities. I have roughly 6' x 20" and found it very difficult to go to 4 lanes (admittedly Carrera track which is rather large) with anything beyond sweeping curves and a much reduced track length. Which might be just right for some people and uses (more commercial track "like" racing) but I found it a bit boring on my first layout which had the same features.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts