SlotForum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Finally got a bottle of klear after reading the thread last week but ran into some trouble. I tried to coat the rear spoiler on my Toyota GT1 but the layer of klear kept "shrinking". What I meant is that the layer of liquid covers the whole surface for maybe about 20 seconds, then some of it disappers and leaving dry non glossy patches. I had to keep touching them up. Have I done something wrong here? I've been using a dry small paint brush to apply the klear. Please help...

·
Premium Member
5,679 Posts
Sounds to me like you put your greasy mits all over the thing first!

Maybe try washing it in warm soapy water.

Hmmm, since you might be bringing it down to the track tomorrow and threaten to win with it, why not keep the motor in place as you soap it up and super clean the whole lot? I'm sure that would improve the performance no end!

Better yet, give it a go in the washing machine, on a wool wash. Daz is excellent for cleaning the commutator. No, seriously, I read it on the web somewhere.

[For the avoidance of doubt, putting your slot cars in the washing machine is very silly and liable to disappoint at least one member of your household]

·
Allan Wakefield
5,857 Posts
Body not clean - thats the problem!

Mild toothpaste applied with a brush (NOT YOUR WIFES! - Its fine until she finds out
) and then rinsed in warm water.

Nico posted earlier also that it has been said that coating the car with a very thin coating first off, using a cotton bud), then letting it set for 15 mins or so will allow a fuller coat or two after, without problem.
I haven't tried this though so blame Nico if it does not work either

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't touch it with me greasy mits, I promise!
Though I've not really cleaned it neither......Wouldn't I damage the paint by washing it with soap?

ok Mr Wankel, I'll give it a go in the washing machine...... Is Bold alright instead of Daz?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts