SlotForum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I know this might sound a bit stupid but just wonder if anyone could help me. You see I am new to scalextric and I just bought a new set of tracks and cars. I realise from the instructions that 2 transformers could be used simultaneously. What are the advantages? Also could you tell me if the old "Classic" tracks are just as good as the new "Sport" tracks? Many thanks..

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
The short and simple version: When you use only one transformer, both lanes consume from the same power supply. As the ones provided with the sets aren't too strong, they're quite at their limit with two cars. So if you deslot for example, the other car gets more power and may deslot, too, because of the sudden power overdose.

With independent lanes the two cars can't influence each other powerwise. And every car has its own source, so it may go a little bit faster.

·
DT
5,195 Posts
Hi FZR1000Exup, welcome to the Forum

Biberle has summed up the transformer question. For more information, use the search faclility (top right) and search for "transformer" or "power supply".

Regarding the difference between the Scalextric Sport track and Scalextric Classic track:

QUOTE (Found on the web)The new Scalextric Sport is flexible and as durable as the old Scalextric Classic Track. The Sport track has a smoother surface track similar to the Carrera track. Each piece of Scalextric Classic Track snaps together with the next track using a Snap Button whole on an extended tab that "snaps" on to the Eye node of the adjoining piece. Sport's new designed connections are similar to the Carrera track, where the track tabs insert into the adjoining track. The difference between the connections of the Sport and Carrera is that the Sport track snaps in place, once the tabs are inserted into the adjoining piece. (No lock pins or lock brackets are needed. The new Sport track is not compatible with the Scalextric Classic track. However, Scalextric has made adapter track to connect Classic track to Sport track. The Classic track seems to be held together a little tighter, but the Sport connections, when locked, do a fine job. Disassembly of each track (Sport or Classic) is about the same, maybe a little easier with the new Sport Track.

·
Premium Member
5,398 Posts
QUOTE Gah......

Me too!

[sing-a-long]
Transformers. Robots in disguise.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I never did find the one that transformed into a 6ft 22yo blonde swedish woman who was heiress to a beer fortune.......

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
aaron I'm in the library... and who said librariens were old and ugly.. you wanna see the newest member of staff
ahem!

biberle got it right and nuro seems to have summed up the track great

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
QUOTE (Gaugemaster Controls @ 18 Mar 2004, 15:06)I never did find the one that transformed into a 6ft 22yo blonde swedish woman who was heiress to a beer fortune.......

Neither did I Aaron!

I reckon the cars running in Slot Tech's F1 championship are transformers - during every race at least one of them changes into a model kit

Using two supplies is a good, quick fix for a home layout, but if finances will allow then the purchase of a regulated supply of adequate amperage is by far the best option

Mark.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Gaugemaster Controls have been manufacturing controllers and transformers to customers specifications for years. If you have a specific request, email Greg at [email protected] and he may be able to come up with something.

Cheers,
Aaron

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks a lot for advice guys! I might go get another transformer to see if the performance would be enhanced. Now come to think about it, I also read something about a "booster cable"?? Anyone know what it's about?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to make the cars go any faster since I can just about manage them (I was so amazed at their top speed when I first bought them, I couldn't even make it last a single lap!!). What I am trying to do is to make the throttle response better, crisper, hopefully in turn making the acceleration more progressive (it seems a bit on and off at the moment). Am I not being realistic here?

Cheers guys.

P.S. I knew someone would start on the "Transformers" thing. D'oh!!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Hi

I'm only a newbie myself, but I think what you want is best achieved with an aftermarket controller. The standard controllers have a resistor with 60 Ohm, and this gives a sort of on/off feeling.
Personally I got myself some 25 Ohm controllers, and this gives a much more even power band with my cars.
The best thing is probably to test some different controllers, and find out what you prefer.

From what I understand the booster cables are used to ensure your track gets power on parts that are far away from your power base. Unless you have a long track you should be able to get along without them.

·
Registered
420 Posts
booster cable.

Sometimes people connect electrical cables from their 'power-section' to sections that are further away from the transformers (for example for every five meter track). The reason is that it then helps to even the distribution of power over the track. Since for every section you add to your track you have one more connection and there is a risk that you over each connection loose a bit of contact and so if you connect a cable in parallel to your track to sections further away you 'bypass' a number of connections. This could give you a better and more reliable power all over the track, should be more noticable the larger track you have. You could use normal 'household' electrical cable. But whatever you use as a cable just be careful with the polarities because you do not wish to fry anything by mixing the plus and minus poles by mistake...

//peter

·
Premium Member
5,398 Posts
FZR, yep, sounds like you need better control of the power you have there. I started with a Parma 45ohm and quickly moved down to a 25ohm which was too much like a light switch for my ability/style/luck and I've finally ended up with a 35ohm.

Never understood how one guy at Hurley could get around the track with his 15ohm thing.

A good controller is a sound investment.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alright guys, cheers for the advice................ But which one should I get and where do I get them? Would it just plug straight into my scalextric tracks? Also, is it gonna cost a bomb??

Apology for so many questions!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts