SlotForum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Reader,

I am new to this forum and I always played with Fleischmann Auto-Rallye slotrace system as a child and now we have nice big space where the idea is that we will realize a big wooden track with Oxigen control system. Father and son are looking for a nice hobby. My son also had the idea to set up a local club. Well every now and then you have to do something crazy and we have the space. So let's build a large wooden slot racetrack and who knows, a club will emerge.

After a lot of reading on the internet I naturally came across slot.it. For 99% I'm going for the great slot.it solution. Or someone should share good reasons for not doing this and give feedback on a better plan.

Anyway, below you will find an image of the available space. I could use the light gray area entirety. But one requirement is to place a desk in this room. The plan I have now I use the green areas a slot race area, but as written this is just an idea.

Click for large image:
syjqAOTNvrByujglG8dyOtyL.jpg?f=fotoalbum

I think the J-Trak system is brilliant because it is so beautifully portable (modular system).
· http://phantomdrum.co.uk/scalexracer/j-trak/
· https://slotracer.online/plan/j-trak/

Not that I want to take the track modules outside the room. But I would love if and could change the track every now and then because it's modular. I would like to drive 1/32 but also every now and then with 1/24 cars. The slot track width like Scalextric Sport and Digital tracks are not suitable for this. That's why I'm thinking of a 10 cm slot to slot width. I could realize this (if I go for plastic parts) with ScaleAuto. I did some testing to see if I can somehow scale/translate the track dimensions and bend radius of corners from ScaleAuto to J-Trak approach which is based on Scalextric Sport and Digital tracks. Unfortunately, this was not as easy as I secretly hoped, but it was expected given the different sizes.

Now I am curious if anyone has tips for realizing a wooden track that is also built according to the principles of the J-track modular system? Maybe samples are available? I am open to any feedback.

Thank you very much for your response.

With kind regards,

Neptunus

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know if there is a ready-designed templated system for you to use with wood tracks, but it is certainly possible. A number of German companies offer this commercially - see the Slotfire system for example.
Thank you for sharing. I have sufficient solidworks knowledge to draw something myself. I also thought it would be fun to make this open-source so that others can use it too.

·
ParrotGod
11,089 Posts
I am not a big fan of track systems that fix how the track is laid on the tables/modules. It adds more constraints than anything else.

I assume you want to go digital: have you consider going for carrera? Its digital lane changers can be easily converted to oxigen.

This can give you some time to play around with your layout. If you get something that you like and still want to go for a routed track then you can easily replicate it.

Plus you can reuse the oxigen lane drivers for your lane changers in the wood track.

By the way, have you tried oXigen before?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not a big fan of track systems that fix how the track is laid on the tables/modules. It adds more constraints than anything else.

I assume you want to go digital: have you consider going for carrera? Its digital lane changers can be easily converted to oxigen.

This can give you some time to play around with your layout. If you get something that you like and still want to go for a routed track then you can easily replicate it.

Plus you can reuse the oxigen lane drivers for your lane changers in the wood track.

By the way, have you tried oXigen before?
No I did not considered carrera track parts jet. I will think about. The original idea was to go for a modular wooden track.
I have read that lane changers of different brands can be easily converted to oXigen.

No, I haven't worked with oXigen in real life, I just have been reading all the documentation and have been reading a lot on different forums and watched YouTube.

·
ParrotGod
11,089 Posts
You are putting a lot of variables in the equation.

I would first look for someone or a club that race oXigen to test it out.

If you are happy with it, then I would get some carrera track and start converting it to oXigen.

A note on your table setup: if you are going to use the green modules then the T configuration might not ideal for visibility - drivers might be on the way of each other especially on the far end of the table.

The room you have is huge: I would use as much as possible of its longer side to build a table along the wall.

If you are going 1/24 having some decent straights will make things more entertaining.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You are putting a lot of variables in the equation.

I would first look for someone or a club that race oXigen to test it out.

If you are happy with it, then I would get some carrera track and start converting it to oXigen.

A note on your table setup: if you are going to use the green modules then the T configuration might not ideal for visibility - drivers might be on the way of each other especially on the far end of the table.

The room you have is huge: I would use as much as possible of its longer side to build a table along the wall.

If you are going 1/24 having some decent straights will make things more entertaining.
I will indeed look for someone or a club where I can exchange some experiences. Is there any reason you propose that?

Thanks for the feedback about the green area setup.

·
ParrotGod
11,089 Posts
Well, unless you are super wealthy and do not mind spending thousand of dollars/pounds, it is better to get first familiar with the system and take it from there if it is really what you want to invest in to.

Just to be clear, I have heavily invested in oXigen and together with RCS-O2, is the system that best suits my needs.

I have raced in large competitions (DiSCA mainly) using oXigen and I have now transitioned my small club here in Auckland from SSD to oXigen (after we have tested RCS-O2).

But it is a complex and expensive system (note that all digital systems out there can be complex and expensive!) and this can frustrate/overwhelm people especially at the beginning.

One a positive side, starting with reading the manual(s) is a good thing: many users here go straight to the toys and get unhappy when they do not play along!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, unless you are super wealthy and do not mind spending thousand of dollars/pounds, it is better to get first familiar with the system and take it from there if it is really what you want to invest in to.

Just to be clear, I have heavily invested in oXigen and together with RCS-O2, is the system that best suits my needs.

I have raced in large competitions (DiSCA mainly) using oXigen and I have now transitioned my small club here in Auckland from SSD to oXigen (after we have tested RCS-O2).

But it is a complex and expensive system (note that all digital systems out there can be complex and expensive!) and this can frustrate/overwhelm people especially at the beginning.

One a positive side, starting with reading the manual(s) is a good thing: many users here go straight to the toys and get unhappy when they do not play along!
Thanks again, I was not await of the RCS-O2 system. Looks great. I will have a more in depth read if I know better what I want with the track. I used to be very fanatic until my 18th. national competitions (etc.). From that time I think I still have enough knowledge and therefore the investment in oXigen seems fine to me. You wrote "all digital systems out there" are there others system that can compete with oXigen? I don't mean carrera etc.

I had a lot of fun reading all the documentation of slot.it. Below two comments from the writers. It really put a smile on my face (engineer among themselves :)).

• The product has not been tested on animals, also because they would not understand the meaning of "Lap time"

• Downloadable for free (we're generous, aren't we?)

·
ParrotGod
11,089 Posts
You wrote "all digital systems out there" are there others system that can compete with oXigen? I don't mean carrera etc.
Well, a honest reply to that question could mean a ban for life on here.

A more PC reply would be: it all depends what your needs are. Carrera and SSD make legit products that can give you lots of fun. But I agree oXigen is on another level.

Yes, their manuals have a lot of humorous gibs ;-)

Anyway, I will stop playing the devil's advocate (or the advocate's devil? :): it seems that you have done all your homeworks and know what you are getting into.

Let's the fun begins!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.