SlotForum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been actively reading as much digital info as I can find on this and other forums. I want to take the plunge, but here is my problem. I currently have a 4 lane Carrera layout about 90 feet long on a 8 x 24 foot table. Also, I have a collection of over 200 cars, which I still want to use. Obviously, I'm not going to convert them all, even if it were possible, it would cost thousands.

So here is the question, Can I build a new 2 lane Carrera Pro-x system, running the Carrera cars when buds are over, and will it be feasible to switch out the power base and LC's to go back to analog in order to make use of my existing stable of cars on a 2 lane layout. I thought of making them quick removal by maybe removing the connecting tabs on these pieces and devising a way to make electrical contact without the damage the constant twisting and lifting the removal would cause.

Lastly, are the 2 lanes in the LC's powered separately or does the LC make the layout one continuosly powerd lane. I ask this because if the are seperate, I could leave them in on an analog setup and the would act as a regular straight.

Any information on this would be greatly appreciated.

Rick

·
Registered
522 Posts
Rick-
Good questions. You can certainly take out the black box and LCs and then run analog cars. The LCs and the black box make both lanes electrically common.

It is possible to devise a swithcing system to switch between analog and digital, check http://www.proxudo.de for details.

Regarding conversions, carrera is slated to sell "replacement chips" in 05. Dont know the cost, but conversions are possible and have been demonstrated with donor chips. The chip aligns flat to the chassis and may require removing to lower portion of the interior in some cars. Sidewinders and inline cars have been converted, I dont think a front-inline fly can be easily converted.

·
Alan Paterson
835 Posts
Hiya Nuro,

It is a good question, and one I'm keen to persue for my layout as well. Identical in theory, having many "other" cars, and 1/24 TSRF's etc, I'd too want to switch off the Digital side and race as normal.

I understand the need to change out the black box etc, but, once an anologue Power base is in circuit, why would one need to change the LC's? Are they not in the "Normally Open" position by default?

Could analogue base and cars not drive straight over them, and ignore the LC, so to speak? treat it as a straight?

Regards

Al

1 - 4 of 4 Posts