Slot Cars Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning something rather special, and I'm sure from the title you have guessed it's for the Porsche challenge.

What I want to know is:

Are there any reviews on the net for the Slot.It HRS chassis and the Carrera Porsche GT?

Does anyone know if the new 'flexible' HRS chassis is any better than the original 'rigid' chassis?

Has anyone tried using a Carrera Porsche Carrera GT in the Porsche Challenge yet?

Cheers for the info.

Lotus

·
Registered
325 Posts
No one has used a Carrera Porsche Carrera GT in a Porsche Challenge YET! There isn't really any carrera cars anyway near the top of the pack. Favourites between drivers are the Fly Racer GT1 98s and Slot-It 956s.
Carrera cars tend to be a bit on the heavy side too, nice looking car tho

HRS chassis would help, but they haven't got a great record.
But, give it ago, u'd probs get the award for your idea.
jamesj

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE HRS chassis would help, but they haven't got a great record.

Explain please. Do you mean they have been used in the Porsche Challenge before and not done well?

Anyone know why this might be? Possibly because they are light and therefore raise the COG for the whole car...

Dunno, thus the questions...

Lotus

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hi Lotus,
John Cook from wolverhampton once built a carrera 911 GT1 for the porsche challenge, he removed the rubber friction drive and replaced it with slot.it gears. want to know how he got on? he finished last! but got my award for most innovative design. i have one of these cars on my work bench and will eventually get round to sorting it. anything is possible if you put your mind to it.
bye for now,
jim.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you mean the 2002 Porsche Carrera GT?

Or a Porsche 911 GT1?

Lotus

PS. Have another idea but will have to check with Mr Slot Tech first...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hi Lotus,
just to clear things up the car used by John was the 911 GT1 manufactured by "CARRERA".
bye for now,
jim

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers.

Here's the one that I'm looking at:

Cheers Pendle

Beauty isn't it?

It's an inline which means it isn't the friction drive one... who cares anyway, I'm gonna put another chassis underneath it anyway. Just don't know which yet...

Lotus

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi Lotus,

in my experince the HRS chassis is good for static kit convertions or resin bodies, but for racing...
Just forget it!

I agree with James and depending of the track (wood or plastic? Fast or slow?) and rules of your Porsche challenge I'd suggest either Fly 911 GT1 98 EVO2/3 or Slot.it 956:
Is the Slot.it sidewinder motor mount permitted?
Are you allowed to cut the original chassis?
I'd post a photo of my modified Fly EVO with SW motor...

Ciao
Otello

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I just want to be a bit different...

Show us a picture then Otello, pretty please...

I'm thinking sidewinder configuration... is that what the Proslot Porsche Carrera 4 is? Or inline?

Lotus

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Hi Lotus.
I'm expecting to see you on wednesday night and I'll bring along my HRS chassis with the Scalex 956 body on for you to (carefully) try out.
I found it to be very smooth running and fun to drive. NC5/9:26/Slot.It P2s.
Loooowridaaaah!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Lotus, here's some photo of my Ferrari, ehm, Porsche EVO (maybe this time I went too far with my merry red liveries?)

In the second photo you may see the car with SW modification (for our free class) on side of the regular car for the italian GT Light championship. (Yes I know I have to change my braids!
)

In the third photo you may see the double Magnetic suspension and the placement for the spur gear: you need to place it very close to the wheel to fit it under the body; also you need to use the slot.it motor mount SICH19 (sidewinder 2), which is for 17.9 mm. gears (Proslot), not SICH03 which is for 18.5 mm. gears (Fly/Scalextric).
I also drilled the hole for bearings and fitted Parma ball bearings...

This car handle very similar to the Ferrari 512 M Codalunga (!) in my signature, which uses the same double magnetic suspension, the Fly car is longer (distance between pick-up and rear axel) and is better on fast tracks, while the shorter Slot.it car is better on tracks with many esses.

Ciao
Otello

P.S. I'm not sure I understand your question about Proslot Porsche, anyway Proslot Porsches are SW.

·
Registered
325 Posts
thanks for your input Otello. Last year's winner (and 2nd place) were Fly Porsche GT1 98 racers, if u want to put one of those chassis under a different body?
Also, i'd recomend an in-line set up for the Preston track, as it many consists of long straights, so a biggish motor is good too. But make sure your car doesn't pull wheelies as the laps are counted by a sensor sat in the slot.
James

·
Registered
86 Posts
QUOTE (James - Junior Racer @ 24 May 2004, 20:39)thanks for your input Otello. Last year's winner (and 2nd place) were Fly Porsche GT1 98 racers, if u want to put one of those chassis under a different body?
Also, i'd recomend an in-line set up for the Preston track, as it many consists of long straights, so a biggish motor is good too. But make sure your car doesn't pull wheelies as the laps are counted by a sensor sat in the slot.
James
James, the double magnetic suspension is an excellent cure for wheelies!
(At least on Ninco tracks: you mileange may vary on smoother surfaces.)

About in-line setup, please read my msg. about wobble bearings

About fitting the slot.it motor mount on different chassis, depending on your skill you may put it on almost every car: I fitted it even on the Ninco Lola Cart.
(Of course the in-line one.)

Ciao
Otello

·
Graham Windle
4,442 Posts
Lotus I finished 4th in the A final at the pendle round last year with my hrs GT3 but I lent my proslot GT3 to Cris Crewe who finished second but as James says it was GT1s all the way at Preston. I have used the double mag suspension as described by Ottello and it works well but a loose set up can be just as good .

James the wheely problem was cured last year by moving the start line back a foot and it hasnt re occured

1 - 16 of 16 Posts