SlotForum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Damien Straw
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For my new track I want to use Scaley borders in tan and black.

1. Can the red/white kerbs be taken from tan pieces and put in the black if needed for the inside of some corners?

2. Are there and pit lane borders available or do I need to make something or just have barriers?

3. Any good solution for an outer border for the single lane curves (R3 inside lane radius)?

If I can get these answers soon I can make an order online! Yeehaa!

Cheers,
Damo.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi Damo

Pitlane borders come with the pitlanes.

You can get R3 single lane outer borders (C7019) from Modelzone

Hope this helps

·
Damien Straw
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

Thanks for the info. I was hoping for black borders for the single lane curves but may have to take what I can get. It's because It is going in a section that suites no painted kerb and where cars will slide out somewhat on a fast corner.

Also, where there ever R1 black outer borders? I can't seem to find any.

Cheers,
Damo.

·
Greg Gaub
14,987 Posts
I have not seen any R1 outers in black, nor 45 degree R2 inners in black. Otherwise, they all come in either version.
Oh, and pit lane borders are tan only as well.
The curbs can be swapped between pieces.
Any piece you don't want tan or striped can be painted. I prefer spray-on PlastiDip, as the color and texture is just like the black borders. Once the weather warms up, I'll be painting all my tan borders, 'cus I want an all black look.

·
Damien Straw
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like I'll be painting too. I want some tan for the insides of some corners and I'll use some black with red and white kerbs for some but I want all the outer borders black with black kerbs. I might even do a proper gravel trap on my tightest corner outside of the border with tiny cork pieces. I think I saw them on a slot car scenery website once. I liked that idea very much.

Cheers,
Damo.

·
Greg Gaub
14,987 Posts
Although the concept is cool, in reality you end up with tiny cork pieces inside the car.

A friend of mine has gravel traps using kitty litter. Other than the smell, it was a good idea... until your car crashes into one and you have to shake out little bits of clay. At least those are hard and relatively heavy. My main concern with cork is that it's so light that bits might stay in the car and fall into gearing or open can motors.

·
Damien Straw
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good point. I might just glue a layer down then instead. It'll still look good.

Cheers,
Damo.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Hi Damo,

I would always recommend gluing the cork granules down - and also 'fixing' them afterwards with a mix of PVA and water like the model railway people do. We use cork granules for gravel traps and run-off zones and have never yet had a problem with cork getting into the cars. Just occasionally some bits come loose and may get into a lane but we have never had a problem with that. Usual housekeeping from time to time deals with it.
If you can replace/extend a border with some MDF - if you are going permanent - you can make a real gravel trap where is room for cars to end up out of everyone else's way if they have a big off.

David

1 - 8 of 8 Posts