SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
After a bad 15 car crash in the indy car Dan Wheldon didn't survive.

He was only in the race as a challenge after his fine Indy 500 win earlier in the season.
If he came from the back of the grid to win he would win 2 1/2 million dollars for a fan at the race

Dan Wheldon On Wikipedia

BBC News Story

R.I.P Dan Wheldon 1978 - 2011

·
Kitbasher
4,372 Posts
RIP indeed, Dan was a fine champion and an excellent ambassador for UK drivers working across the pond.

Indycar needs to look at this crash very closely, it looks like some of the drivers are not yet ready for this level of competition....

·
Registered
710 Posts
I've been watching racing for 25+ years. I saw it live. It was the worst I've ever seen.

It was so great to see him win at Indy this year, a true underdog.

He was so fantastic on the ovals-he wil be missed.

RIP

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
All motorsport fans will be shocked and saddened by this.

That oval racing format seems to invite this kind of accident. There is simply nowhere to go to avoid massive collisions.

Just a dreadful thing.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Oval racing is one of the few forms of motorsport that has never interested me, and consequently I'd never heard of Dan Wheldon until I saw this thread.

Always sad to hear of any motorsport fatality, though.

R.I.P

·
Registered
899 Posts
We watched the race and the live camera vision being shown was ironically from Dan Weldons car leading into the Turn 2 corner where the accident happened on lap 11 I think. I have to say the cars all looked a little racey very early on, not really something you see often as the oval drivers all seem to wait to race and get their cars 'Race' sorted. It looked as if this accident was going to happen from about lap 5. I'd have to say they all looked a little impatient today.

Always a tragedy when a young Dad dies. Hope my kids stick to toy cars.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Terrible news. It really shocks me each time we get a motorsport fatality. Henry Surtees in 2009 and Felipe Massa's near miss a week later and now this.

My thoughts are with his family and friends. RIP Dan.

·
Registered
65 Posts
R.I.P. Dan Wheldon,

We were lucky enough to meet him at Goodwood FOS
where he lined up ready to go out right in front of our own
Phillippe de Lespinay in his Kimberley special.

What a waste of talent............
(

·
Registered
730 Posts
So many Sunday night cheering him on from the sofa and then a very different evening yesterday.

Simply the best English oval driver ever and when that list includes Hill(G) And Mansell you're doing ok, the battles with Sam Hornish really are the stuff of legend.

Since May literally gave everything to improve Indycar and it's standing in the US. Was only taking part on Sunday in an attempt to 'move the needle' publicity wise for the series, mission could not have been accomplished in a more tragic way.

R.I.P.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Cheers Deane, 3rd best British didn't quite articulate what I was trying to say.

As for Dario it's tough, no doubt the series needs him more than he needs it, but he spoke before the race about 'how much I love THIS life'

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
I have actually been fearing for Dario for some time, can't place exactly why. For me once a driver has won 3 titles, especially if they race on ovals, they should walk away. I guess their brains are not wired that way, which is why they are able to do what they do...

·
Dave Capelen
2,796 Posts
I flicked on to watch the Las Vegas event last night and was confronted with the red flag scenario, which had been in place for over an hour by that time. Then I saw the replay of the crash and it was just awful and I had a horrible feeling right away....

A very untimely and sad end the racing career of an exceptional driver, whose record in the US speaks for itself. My sincerest condolences to his family, friends and fellow team members, in particular.

It was a miracle that there were not more drivers very seriously injured and just a mention here for Manx driver Alex Lloyd, like Dan a former IndyCar rookie of the year, who was lucky enough to survive the carnage without serious injury.

RIP Dan.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.