SlotForum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have designed a track which uses 5 R1 Scalextric Sport track pieecs to make a hair pin bend and then it uses another to make it straight again...hope that makes sense!!!
Will the cars be able to negotiate that all ok if there are track borders for them to swing out on to??

Also I know it's maybe not the most accurate lap timer but I am thinking of getting a Scalextric Sport lap timer/counter and just wanted some feedback on what it is like. I couldn't find anything on the net about it. One day I will get a PC rigged up to the track but I just want something for the time being that is cheap and just needs to be plugged in!!

Thanks,

Alan

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
I have the scalextric lap counter. It is cheap, and i would describe it as 'adequate' - just.

set number of laps for each lane, mechanical sensor tells when the cars go by, and it tells you the fastest lap so far, and who has won.

It can miss cars, depending on the guide, speed, how fast the car is going, how the braids are set and how firm the surface under the track is.

It can get double readings, thinking the car has just managed a 1/10th second lap.

Wait for Scalextric World system, I believe the pod will work without the aid of a PC.

·
Registered
238 Posts
On the lap counter front, I'd agree with astro......it works, just about. Generally it's adequate for the job in hand.

It's dead easy to use but you do end up with missed laps on some cars when they are at speed. I found this a particular problem with scaley mg lola's and actually have to come off the power before the counter to get the lap recorded ! I then moved it to the start of the straight rather than the middle and had no problems as the cars are going slower.

Also be aware that it's battery powered and the batteries are put in underneath....this can be a bit of a pain if you're trying to build a permanent layout with the track pinned down.

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
I had a sport R1 hairpin and the cars make it fine, some with a bit of throttle to kick eth tail around. Biggest issue is low grip of sport track meaning you get wild fishtailing out of the bend. A laugh for a while, but eventually just annoying.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys...not sure I will bother with the lap counter now...I will just until I can get a PC in the room with Lap Timer 2000 running.

I may just have to try a hairpin and see what I think of it...i don't mind the cars sliding about a lot as I am used to non-magnet racing from when I had a routed track.

Alan

·
Gary Skipp
6,476 Posts
My advice would be:

R1 curves:
Buy (or make) both inner and outer borders, especially for non mag racing.

Scaley Lapcounter:
Buy it, experiment with positions. If the coutner doesn't register try moving it slightly. If all else fails, put it at a braking zone, it should register every time then. Also, the blipping noise does get annoying when inputting 20+ laps, or if you have a short track so it goes off every few seconds when cars go buy. Especially for longer races.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts