SlotForum banner
561 - 580 of 847 Posts

·
Registered
15,129 Posts
Not racing cars but a few machines from the recent past that are now largely forgotten. I doubt if anyone alive in, for example, 50 years from now would be able to identify them. When was the last time anyone saw a Volvo 340?

A Datsun? "Never 'eard of 'em."
Automotive parking light Car Tire Automotive side marker light Vehicle
Vehicle Car Tire Wheel Automotive lighting
Wheel Car Tire Land vehicle Vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Vehicle
Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle
u
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car
Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Car Vehicle
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
548 Posts
Remember this from AC? A chap I knew bought one, but returned it to the factory time and again so they could finish making it. View attachment 314394
Hmm, the 3000ME (I think). I used to think it looked pretty good in the ad that AC ran on the back cover of every issue of Alternative Cars magazine in the early 80s. I never saw one on the road until a few years later, when I found one that regularly parked near Newcastle Uni library. Then, after moving away, I never saw one again.

But then I found Newcastle to be something of a treasure trove of automotive unusualness. I remember being very surprised to find a Maserati dealership in an unprepossesing back street, for example, complete with a pair of Biturbos in the window.

·
Premium Member
2,522 Posts
I thought the AC ME3000 was a very advanced car with lots of promise. It was a glass-fibre monococque and I think, the first such mid-engined one for the road. A very racy concept at the time. It was a dismal commercial failure though and Trisha's post suggests why.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I thought the AC ME3000 was a very advanced car with lots of promise. It was a glass-fibre monococque and I think, the first such mid-engined one for the road. A very racy concept at the time. It was a dismal commercial failure though and Trisha's post suggests why.
Might have been advanced in many ways, but still used the old, cast-iron, Essex V6, that wasn't exactly an outstanding engine, even when first introduced. I know it got a lot of use, but that was more down to nothing much else being available than any inherent merit.

You'd think that AC might have at least been able to strike a deal for the marginally more promising Cologne 2.8.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
The GSIIB had the aluminum monocoque; the prior 2A Chaparral was a fiberglass chassis, a bit wider and heavier.
I don't know about a model of the GSIIB as it was a prototype design study, although you could probably make one from the Chaparral (Chinook).

As far as McKee.... Strombecker made the Mk6/8 and the Mk10 although it's a bit narrow.
Fortunately there is a file for a 3DP version of the Mk10 (on the left). And the Mk 14 turbo car, in case people care.
Rectangle Fedora Material property Hat Eyewear

·
Autoavia
1,212 Posts
Vehicle Car Tire Wheel Automotive design

This is the Momo 2000 designed by Giorgi Valentini, designer of many cars including the 1981 Osella FA1C grand prix car.
The car was commissioned by Gianpiero Moretti of Momo steering wheels fame and was originally fitted with an Abarth Osella 2 litre engine. The car raced at Imola in 1972 driven by Moretti where it completed one lap and was then entered in the 1973 Targa Florio by Team Conrero who had close ties with GM and probably installed an Opel engine. The car failed to finish and that appears to have been the end of it's racing career.

561 - 580 of 847 Posts