SlotForum banner
41 - 60 of 555 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
The Triangle Special with its dainty little 27-litre Rolls-Royce Kestrel engine. View attachment 307785
That's splendidly mad. I'd be curious as to how the driveline worked, as the engine appears to be directly over the rear axle.

Edit: A lucky hit with an Internet search turns up this excellent letter from Motorsport.
Photograph Newspaper Black Publication Motor vehicle

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Possibly seen before...Austin Healey 4000

A one-off Healey made wider to accommodate a 4.1L Rolls Royce engine

View attachment 307786

There were three of them actually, two manuals and an auto. but they swapped the gearboxes around a bit later. They quite literally sawed a Healey 3000 down the middle and grafted a 6" wide section to widen it, and, as you say, dropped the 4 litre RR into it. It was an attempt to get the Healey into the US market after the Safety Regs kicked in, but it was too expensive, and I suspect, too darn heavy! I think all three still exist as well.

I had the exquisite torture of driving one the manuals from Longbridge to Cowley once. It re-defined the term 'understeer'!!!! :oops:

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
There were three of them actually, two manuals and an auto. but they swapped the gearboxes around a bit later. They quite literally sawed a Healey 3000 down the middle and grafted a 6" wide section to widen it, and, as you say, dropped the 4 litre RR into it. It was an attempt to get the Healey into the US market after the Safety Regs kicked in, but it was too expensive, and I suspect, too darn heavy! I think all three still exist as well.

I had the exquisite torture of driving one the manuals from Longbridge to Cowley once. It re-defined the term 'understeer'!!!! :oops:
It‘s a bit misleading; that 4 litre 6 cylinder engine was not really a RR car engine. It was one of a family of engines the industrial arm of RR made for military vehicles, so hardly a good candidate for a sports car! The same engine was used in the Vanden Plas Princess R, an expensive version of the Austin Westminster.
Mike

·
Registered
501 Posts
It‘s a bit misleading; that 4 litre 6 cylinder engine was not really a RR car engine. It was one of a family of engines the industrial arm of RR made for military vehicles, so hardly a good candidate for a sports car! The same engine was used in the Vanden Plas Princess R, an expensive version of the Austin Westminster.
Mike
Whilst not really a sporting engine, having experienced a (rather tired) Princess R, I can testify that it does lazy, relaxed, surprisingly quick performance very well. It helped confirm my long held opinion that, on real roads, a torquey engine can do a pretty good impression of a powerful one when the need arises. The RR isn't really any worse than the 4-litre Austin lump that Jensen did rather well with. Ya can't beat cubes.

Mind you, Dad had professional experience with most of the military vehicles with variants on the engine, and considered them all pretty awful, although the engine was only one aspect of their dreadfulness.

A mate and I saw an MoT failure Princess R up for sale for 100 quid, back in 1995, and had the mildly bonkers idea of putting the engine transversely into a kneeler sidecar outfit, with a (possibly dubiously obtained) Shadow grill on the front. Our continued existence probably owes much to my emigration before we actually did it.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Another one off CanAm car....the Mac'sIt Special.
View attachment 307920