SlotForum banner
161 - 180 of 621 Posts

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Looking at a lot of the Japanese output from the 60's and 70's you can see close, if not exact, copies of European and American cars, sometimes it the rear, sometimes the front and sometimes front of one and rear of another with a little tweak here and there. A time before sue you sue me 😁 and as most of them never left Japan who know anyway. The Prince could be based on the Porsche 904 body.

·
Slot King
3,705 Posts
Ah, but doesn't the 904 look suspiciously like an Abarth design of the time? Porsche designed ugly lumps before and never again made anything that elegant. (You could argue that they are still doing ugly lumps now).

Joel

·
Kevs Racing Bits
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #165 ·
Duckhams LM

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Duckhams LM

The car was designed by Gordon Murray and built for Alain De Cadenet, based on the Brabham BT33 F1 car he owned and using its Cosworth DFV engine and some suspension parts. It finished 12th at Le Mans in 1972, running as high as 5th before an off-track excursion damaged the suspension.

·
Kevs Racing Bits
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #167 ·
Someone with the right skills could modify a SlotIt 312PB into a Duckhams LM...not me though

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Looking at a lot of the Japanese output from the 60's and 70's you can see close, if not exact, copies of European and American cars
Not sure I would fully agree with that, although by the time the Nissan R383 rolled around it bore a resemblance to the McLaren M8 somewhat.
But the Toyota 7s in all three iterations, the Nissan R380, 381, and 382, the Hino Samurai....I wouldn't call them derivative. The Datsuns (240Z and 280Z) don't seem terribly derivative?

McLaren himself basically said part of his success was keeping the basic car the same with smaller innovations.

OK....back to regular programming. Isuzu R7.

Attachments

·
re member
4,389 Posts
Looking at a lot of the Japanese output from the 60's and 70's you can see close, if not exact, copies of European and American cars,
Agree... the first Nissan Fairlady was a Japanese take on the MGB. The 1200cc Datsun engine was a repop (an improved version) of the BMC ‘A’ series as far as I know.
Back in the day the Japanese designers must have been looking at the rest of the world’s models.... they would have been silly not to.

·
Slot King
3,705 Posts
Agree... the first Nissan Fairlady was a Japanese take on the MGB. The 1200cc Datsun engine was a repop (an improved version) of the BMC ‘A’ series as far as I know.
Back in the day the Japanese designers must have been looking at the rest of the world’s models.... they would have been silly not to.
Well, life is more complicated than that.
The MGB was launched in 1962, so was the Fairlady, are we saying they copied it in 3 weeks?
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

Trouble is the Fairlady is an evolution of this car.
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle Car

So if any copying took place, it looks like the MGB could very well be "inspired" by the earlier Datsun, not the other way round.

Joel

·
re member
4,389 Posts
I stand corrected but I think you will agree that certain influences have had an effect.... it’s natural and normal.

·
Kevs Racing Bits
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #175 ·
Development of the MGB started at least as early as 1958 with the prototype known by its Abingdon codename; MG EX205

·
Kevs Racing Bits
4,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #177 ·
TBH I don't care who copies who, they're all an evolution of Karl Benz's 1886 "Motorwagen".

• Haha
Reactions: munter

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I always thought the 240Z was more a Japanese E-type coupe from a styling point of view. But the Datsun straight 6 did bear a passing resemblance to BMC's C Series engine, but was a smaller capacity originally. Both Datsun body and engine came a lot later than the Healey, 1966 as opposed to 1953, so there would have been adequate time to delve into the innards of a Healey. The 240Z's suspension was MILES better than a Healey's though, being independent all round.

As has been said before, the whole industry did it, and I did it myself at Pressed Steel working in FVE (Foreign Vehicle Evaluation), but the 'Foreign' didn't mean from abroad, it meant anything NOT built by PSF. That's why we examined a Cortina, a Renault R16, a FIAT 124, a Reliant Rebel (Yes, really....) the Plymouth Sport Fury I mentioned before, etc. etc.

·
Slot King
3,705 Posts
Yes, the Datsun is reliable and doesn't p*ss oil all over your drive, in that respect, the mechanicals are very different.
Are we saying that any car with a straight six that came after the Healey is a copy? Like the BMW Z4?
Couldn't it be said that the Healey is a straight copy of the 1951 Frazer Nash Mille Milia? And wasn't the Frazer Nash an update of a BMW design?
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood

They were/are all at it.

Joel

PS: That Frazer Nash is stunning.

161 - 180 of 621 Posts