SlotForum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
I am happy to let you know a 3th alternative RMS for the Scalextric C7042 Powerbase is in the making. The last 3-4 months the programmer and I have been busy programming, testing, debugging, testing, programming,...you get the idea. Thanks to the modern technologies these days It is possible that the program is made in Denmark, tested in the Netherlands and sometimes that even happened at the same time. And we never even met in person, yet :)
RCS64 is a team effort as we both have our own ideas and experiences and to my opinion this worked wonderfully well and I am afraid will not stop in the near future, because RCS64 is far from finished.

Our goal is to have a serious test the 2nd half of April, if that works well we will offer a light version around may, and meanwhile 2-3 betatesters will be invited. At the moment a website is in the making. Screenshots will follow this week. For now a few features;

RCS64 does NOT have;
- bluetooth connection
- support pit pro
- throttle calibration
- historic data
- event planner/point system
- and probably some more

However, we have a large priority list, and all of the above is on It-not to say everything will be implemeted-, and more. RCS64 is aimed at the serious racers and includes some nice features;
- practice
- qualify
- GP
- Endurance
- very accurate lapcounting and timing
- Auto Track Call
- Stop and Go
- Fuel load simulation
- Leaderboards and dedicated dashboards for GP/Endurance
- Easy to set up and drive
- throttle profiles
- advanced sound possibilties

Please understand It is early days for RCS, but we are both confident It is rapidly becoming a serious 3th alternative.

RCS64 works with the known RichG/RikoRocket cable.

Thanks for reading and watch this space...

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, C7042 only. We started with this project when we both had a C7030 and then laptiming and counted worked, but fuel load was not implemented back than. In the meantime we both switched to C7042. We really want to focus first on a stable, reliable C7042 version. I am not the programmer so I can't tell you how difficult It is to make a compatible 7030 version, but that sure is something we intended in the beginning. The chance is by that time the need for a C7030 version is so low It doesn't weigh up to the effort, but It certainly is not of our list.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts

Early screen from GP tab, to show you that there really something is in the making.
Of course colors can be adjusted to controller colors and now we have leader and race difference in laps visible, as well as fastest lap. Practice/Qualify screen is leaderboard style, GP/Le Mans as in screenshot, but with different colors :)

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
*** UPDATE ***

Wednesday the 18th of April we have plans to test the software during a 2 hours race on my home track. If that goes well, the betatesters we have contacted and confirmed will get the chance to help us in making a stable light version for release in may.

The race on the 18th will be a 2 hrs endurance race, with 3 cars and 2 drivers/team. In this case we won't use auto track call, although auto track call is a feature already included. Team members will act as marshalls.

What we will use is stop and go penalties. Awarded by pressing numeric key on keyboard. The driver/car has to make a stop and go within 3 (user definable) laps and press brake for 5 (user definable) seconds to turn stop and go light green again. If you dont make your stop and go within 3 laps, your next laps wont be counted. Of course we will use fuel load simulation.

As It seems we will use scalextric ferrari 430 cars, without magnet and with silicon tyres.

At the moment last small bugs are being debugged. I will try to make some pictures and possibly a short video of the track with RCS64 in action.
Fingers crossed !

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
QUOTE (Minardi @ 3 Apr 2012, 12:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks to the modern technologies these days It is possible that the program is made in Denmark, tested in the Netherlands and sometimes that even happened at the same time. And we never even met in person, yet :)

Hi Minardi,

This is not unusual these days!
For two or three years I was working with Andy Wallace very closely on the version of SSDC for the C7042, and I didn't meet him or even know what he looked like until I saw him at the UK slot show last year...

I wish you the best of luck doing this! It is no small task. The only thing I would suggest is that you talk to Andy about the protocol as this has been changing a lot recently to enable the MIH enhancements and pick up on things that we forgot at the beginning (like remote IDing).

Happy to beta test for you if you like

Cheers
Riko

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@Chris
We definitely have plans to sell It, we start with a low cost light version, and future upgrades can be bought If you like.
But really first beta testing, and see what comes out of that.

@Riko
Thanks for the thumbs up. At the moment we have 3 betatesters, which for now is sufficient.
It is indeed a lot of work in the background. But a bit like you I guess, I like doing this kind of stuff, so no problem. And I/we have so much plans. We havent looked at MIH chips/protocol yet, but remote ID-ing is already in It, that is If you mean ID from PC.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No Mac version in the near future, I am sorry.

Happy to say the test went finel

beta test RCS64

During this 2 hours race we used fuel load simulation, which works as you might expect.
We also used stop and go. A car that deserves a stop and go gets this by pressing numeric button on keyboard. Do the stop and go within 3 laps and your dedicated light on screen turns green after 5 secs of pressing lc button. During 2 hours of racing we had 4 stop and go's.

We are now fixing some small bugs and adding some visual improvements and than the betatesters can help finding bugs, before we implement some cool new features.

Very happy with a stable version now !

·
Registered
226 Posts
WOW! Ever since the C7042 came out, the multiplicity of complex mods to existing RMSs never ceases to amaze me. I'm still waiting for wet weather simulation and fog. Tire wear has already been tried. What next?.. Hell, I'm still trying to reach perfection with my C7030 / SSDC. I guess I'm just slow.

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
No slower than I am, Bleny!
At least you have your track circuit laid out!

Cheers!

PS Oh ya, good on you Minardi. Saw the other thread and it is great that you are bringing a third system to the market since competition spurs on development.

Cheers!

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks guys !
And Bleny, better catch up because the things you have in mind might come true ;-)

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
QUOTE Tire wear has already been tried.
Hi Bleny, can you tell me more. What program has tried that, and why did It not work ? We are trying to integrate It in RCS (optional) and think we have found a way to do It, unless ...

·
Registered
226 Posts
Minardi-
It was similar to fuel consumption, as the more full throttle you use, the faster your tires wear, until they're gone and then your controller goes to full throttle all the time, making the car undriveable. The RMS was created by someone in Germany I think, but I don't remember. It was abandoned before completion.

As to slippery surface in the "rain", it has been suggested to electronically cause very high frequency, pulsating, power bursts (say 100/sec. or something) to be switched on when the "rain" starts. This might cause wheelspin on hard acceleration. Knowing nothing about electronics, I'm not sure this is even possible.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi Bleny, thank you for your response.
Luckily We have a different approach, for both rain effects and tire wear. We have It worked out in theory, but have to test It out in practice, after we released our beta test. It wont be an electronic solutions though, think throttle, brake and powered related, combined with the strategic effect of choosing the right tyres.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts