SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Most weeks the club runs on the minimum number of racers/marshals which normally isn't too much of a problem, However occasionally as happened last Friday a crash can be too much for one marshal to clear quickly (There were only 2 marshals for this race and none on the main straight where part of the problem was). The race software does have the facility to pause races which I think should be used in situations like this. Obviously we can't have racers wanting the race stopped for every little incident so I think the call should come from a marshal only.

What do the rest of you think?

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
What software do you have?

Sometimes the racers should be the ones making the calls, but one does have to think about their tendency to do so out of vested interest.

The biggest thing I learnt was the race controller should not try to second guess a call, if it is made pause the race and then sort out the rights and wrongs later. Better that than a wreaked race, precedents being set or, worst case scenario, smashed up cars.

·
Rob
528 Posts
Yeah a pause would have been good. I reckon in 2minutes i could have got the car running again. Although all the hot glue had come off. Maybe in this situation we should be allowed to use a second car for the remaining laps?

Obviously if you drive your car off the track that is your own fault and your out for that race, but in this case my car was stationary and hit twice and flew off onto the floor.

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We run the Slotmaster software.

To be honest it was one of those rare crashes that hardly ever happen but on this occassion it did wreck someones night and the fairest thing would have been to pause the race collect up the pieces and continue.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
We certainly like the security of knowing, should our cars end up stranded on the track, that we have some chance of preventing it being smashed into.

It does tend to be the one call that I can empathise with the driver's calling, since their car is the one in the firing line and it's possible none of the adjacent marshals will notice it.

Other than that it should really be just marshals calling cars then cannot easily reach.

FWIIW we don't allow repairs whilst the pause is in place, beyond perhaps popping a body back on.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
It's up to your club how you handle track calls, but you might be interested to hear how other clubs do it. Maybe you already do all these?

Track calls are normally used to suspend the races long enough to put the cars back in the slot. I've not seen anywhere that suspends the racing for a couple of minutes t to allow car repairs.
Typically they are used when the marshal has to retrieve cars from under a bridge so his arm will be blocking other cars.
Typically they are used when the marshal has to crawl under the track to retrieve cars so is unavailable for his normal duties.
Typically they are used when the marshal cannot retrieve cars because drivers are in his way.

·
Administrator
10,131 Posts
I believe we have a gadget for clicking to do a track call. If we wired it up to the other side of the track then it could be used for emergencies only.
The trouble with a 7 second lap time is accidents occur so quickly I doubt that anyone could hit the button in time.

I'm with 300SLR above, use should only be for replacing cars, not repairing.

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I doubt anyone would agree to a pause for car repairs, However in Robs case on Friday where his car ended up in bits through no fault of his own then I think you'd be justified in allowing it (or car swap). Remember the cause of the problem was someones throttle ending up on the track!

·
WRP World Champ 2015/2016
4,281 Posts
A pointy stick to the offenders nether regions.

Sounds like a fairly unusual case, where an innocent racer's evening was inadvertently kaiboshed. A pause to allow a reasonable fix would seem the fairest option. This is the sort of thing that occurs once in a blue moon, so five minutes out of the nights total would not be unreasonable.

We've had a very few incidents over my year or so attending club nights where a democratic agreement has been made to ensure a fair result is reached. We're all there to have a fun night's racing, so getting a bit bristly and trotting out the rule book would spoil it for most in attendance.

To add a rider to the joke regularly thrown about "we're only playing with toy cars" - so let's all have a good night at the club and go home as mates.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Just a personel thought that maybe you guys would consider, I have been to your race evenings before & found the lack of race pausing facility difficult to understand as ALL other tracks I have visited has something in place.

I have to say that a visitor to yours will have to be prepared to have a car trashed in the worst case senario. I often make treks to other clubs for variety but don't to yours for the above reason.

This is not a dig at you guys as you have some great charactors in your club & welcome any visitors.

Regards
Keith

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Gotta say I hadn't guessed the problem was a controller on the track.
All this stuff about not repairing cars in track calls applies to normal racing incidents - like cars falling off and other cars hitting them, like marshals making the occasional mistake.

It's normal to give a rerun for significant track faults. I don't think many clubs have legislated for controller on the track - yeh once every so many years something strange happens - like spilling beer over the track or the landlord's pet cat climbing on the track. You cannot legislate for everything! There is some sense in a rerun for that sort of thing. Not sure you'd want to exclude people for a one off silly mistake, good idea to exclude the cat though.

·
Premium Member
1,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
QUOTE (ZAKSPEED @ 17 Sep 2012, 16:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have been to your race evenings before & found the lack of race pausing facility difficult to understand as ALL other tracks I have visited has something in place.

Blimey whenever I've visited another club I must admit a track pausing facility never crossed my mind.
Anyway who's up for Round 2 of NSR demolition derby

·
Circuit Owner
5,913 Posts
Having never raced Analogue at a club (! strange but true !) I guess I am used to the bash'n'crash style of digital racing with super resistant cars.

So it was interesting to read this thread - it sort of explains why some of our members who have come from analogue clubs (and still occasionally race there) sometimes throw their toys out of the pram when deslotted in a "racing incident". The rest of us accept it as part of the format and learn how to drive defensively.

We don't have track calls and after the first few weeks of over-enthusiastic driving we have settled into a driving style and a stop-go penalty system in a spare pit lane that can be called by the victim. If we had track calls we would be stopping every 30 seconds - by resisting them we have found that the racing has calmed down and even the headbanger racers have followed this lead because we have discovered that the poster of the fastest lap hardly ever wins the race. Fuel simulation and racing strategy means the battle is usually between the wisest heads (coupled with a reasonable turn of speed obviously) as they can "read" the race better.

Most of our incidents are not the side-swipes that I guess are the main issue with analogue - our problems are usually cars being rear-ended on the approach to hairpins - and this deslots the offender half of the time so people have learned not to bash the car in front. Of course - if you get pushed off - you can deal out rough justice by blocking the offender later on in the race and applying the brakes until they can use a lane changer to get in the other lane. Those of us that drive defensively actually brake on the straight before the hairpin and accelerate into it - this means you never get nerfed from behind and if it is attempted then the car behind usually ends up driving into the armco because you weren't there to use as a brake!

As for cars across the track - the shallow guides (shallower than wood guides anyway) required on digital sport track means that bashing into a deslotted car is likely to result in your own deslot so the technique now is to roll up to the car and gently nudge it out of the way or wait for a marshal.

I guess the biggest difference between analogue and digital is that the analogue racers can race more fragile cars and digital racers know full well that running a fragile car is the same as sticking two twenty pound notes in the shredder.

So perhaps you guys should cross to the dark side and go digital? Or send us your bad boys - we'll play with them!

·
Registered
175 Posts
lewis hamilton and alonso would have liked that pause button the other weekend, and colin you should take note of mr modifier`s piece "we have discovered that the poster of the fastest lap hardly ever wins the race." good luck all

1 - 20 of 31 Posts