SlotForum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(Not sure if this is the right place for this. if not, Admins/mods, please move to appropriate forum)

Hi all,

Over the weekend, I decided I didn't have enough geeky projects in my life, so started one more....what I'm calling a "race info system" for my Scaley sport track. It's not really a true RMS, since it does no "management" of anything...simply provides racers with information about the ongoing race, displayed on a PC or Laptop.

CURRENTLY, the prototype does the following:

1 - Accurately records laps for 2 lanes

2 - Displays las lap time, best lap, average lap, total race time, # of laps, and interval between two cars at last equal lap. If one car has lapped another, displays interval as "X laps ahead/behind)

Planned enhancements coming within the next few days:

1 - "Lap logging"...keeping a history of each lap time, up to a user defined maximum # of laps

2 - "Leaderboard" - A constant display of the positions of the cars, by car number (car numbers would, of course, need to be entered before each race)

3 - Initial screens to allow entering of basic race info. Car number, driver, etc, prior to the race beginning

4 - testing to determine max # of lanes I can track, which i CURRENTLY expect to be 6.

Planned enhancements for "sometime down the road"

1 - A much prettier and user friendly UI.

2 - Some graphing and analysis tools, using the lap logging, to give drivers an overall view of their performance and lap times

3 - An interface to a small processor (maybe a Basic Stamp?) that would drive an actual scale 1:32 position tower/display in the "infield" of the layout

4 - A database of cars, including images, so race setup would be as simple as clicking on a picture of a certain car to assign it to a given lane.

5 - Modification of the harness to support other brands of existing lap counters and, eventually, DIY systems (such as on a routed track)
===================================================

What I'm looking for is a couple of brave souls to be beta testers. Here's what you need to be able/willing to do:

1 - You must be running Windows XP. While I suspect the software will run on any Windows platform 95 and later, I have written it and thus far only tested it on XP. I will certainly address the software's ability to run on other platforms, I prefer to do that later.

2 - You must be willing and able to construct a simple "harness" by hacking apart a common printer cable, and identifying which wires go to certain pins. i can give you instructions for doing this, but you need to be able to do the actual work.

3 - You must be willing to plug said harness into the LPT1 port of your PC/Laptop. While I can not imagine it would be dangerous, and have thoroughly researched the connections I'm making (as well as tested the harness on 4 different machines), there's always the POSSIBILITY I've missed something. If the harness causes your PC to release its magic smoke, it's NOT MY FAULT.

4 - You must be willing to hack up a standard Scaley Sport lapcounter. Nothing you'll do is irreversible, but it will require taking the thing apart, cutting some wires, and splicing those wires into the harness mentioned in step 2. You'll certainly be able (as far was what I'll ask you to do to it) to put it back togther, re-splice the wires, and have a functioning unit again, but, obviously, this will void the heck out of your warranty.

=====================================================

As a beta tester, I'll ask you to provide me with information on the performance of the software, provide ideas and suggestions for future enhancements, etc. I would prefer (though it's not necessary) that you have at least SOME electronics and/or programming knowledge, as that will allow fault/bug reports to include more insightful information.

Eventually, if this works out, I'll be offering for sale completed, pre-built "units" that include a cleanly modified lap counter track, the harness, and the software. I'll also probably offer units that include just the software, and printed instructions for making your own harness and counter mods.

As a beta tester, you'll have a perpetual free license to the software, and any future upgrades., my eternal gratitude, and your name in the program credits.
Not much, I know, but hey, whadya expect? I don't have any MONEY to give you...it all gets spent on slot cars.

=====================================================

If you're interested, please leave me a PM here on slotforum, including your full name and an e-mail address where I can contact you.

If you simply have questions about the gizmo, or think you might want to be one of my first customers, let me know in this thread.

Thanks!

/gb

·
Registered
911 Posts
would this work with a parralell port cabel connected to a headfone socet, thats connected to a RMS extrnsion pice that i currently use for my lap counting. (only problme is id have to use my flatmates laptop as my parallel port decided to die on me (wont read pin 11 (lane 2)).

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (Skeeter @ 18 Jan 2005, 19:58)would this work with a parralell port cabel connected to a headfone socet, thats connected to a RMS extrnsion pice that i currently use for my lap counting. (only problme is id have to use my flatmates laptop as my parallel port decided to die on me (wont read pin 11 (lane 2)).
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No idea, to be honest...hadn't even thought about it.

However, interestingly enough, I'm not (in the 2 lane version anyway) USING pin 11, so it might well work on your machine...at least in this early beta stage.

/gb

·
Registered
911 Posts
kool

i dont know how much damage has been done to my parallel port by my overheating laptop (does anyone know of any kind of pin testers) but id give it a go. how does your system work, because my current one uses 3 pins, pin 25 as ground, and then pin 10 for lane 1, and pin 11 for lane 2. these are then connected to the RMS sensor track,a nd when a cars slot passes it means that the switch between the ground and the lanes pin are closed, triggering a lap. if this is the same as yours, then it should work, if not, then i will unfortunately be unable to help.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine's pretty much exactly the same...just different pins. 2 & 10 for Lane 1, 3 and 12 for lane 2. I'm not set on those pins, simply grabbed them because I knew those pairs would work from a previous project I'd done in the MRR world.

If you're up for it, give me a PM with an e-mail addy, and I'll be in touch. Also hope to hear more about yours.

/gb

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just wanted to revisit this, and let those of you who offered to beta test things for me know I haven't forgotten you or dropped this.

Seems like every time in the past week I've sat down to work on things, something's cropped up.

Alas, a semi-decent UI is now done, logging of laps is nearly done. Should be contacting each of you soon.

/gb

1 - 6 of 6 Posts