SlotForum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi everyone,

I have recently been dabbling in Microsoft Excel trying to create a functional tracker for a racing league I am hoping to start soon. Please note I am not a computer programmer but I like to dabble with numbers.

I am using Microsoft Excel 2010 (version 14).

I know most of you are likely using detailed software which probably tracks races and standings and such data.

For the league I will be running everyone will be using their own cars. I am thinking we will run ten races, however, the spreadsheet is ready to accommodate up to 25 events.

The format of each race event will be different based on the number of participants as follows:

1. 2-5 participants / We will run 3 heat races / heat 1 and 2 will be for 1 x points and heat 3 for 2 x points
  2. 6 - 20 participants / We will run various heats followed by a consi race. The winners will then run a final race.
  3. 21 or more participants / A chase format where the winner of a low rank heat advances to race in the next higher heat. This format has not yet been fleshed out with my program.

The starting point for the spreadsheet requires entries on the Season Summary Tab - row 34 onward. This includes spots for Drivers, Cars, and Teams. Any sheets which have highlighted headings have formulas in the columns below. I have not added any spreadsheet protection on cells, however, as I want people to adjust as they need.

If anyone would like to do some testing with the spreadsheets I have created I have the file attached. I am open to feedback and suggestions and even changes if my logic on formulas and cell data is frustrating.

Thanks so much for your time.

~celticgriffon

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Before each race ensure all required driver names, car names and teams are input into Season Summary Tab - row 34 onward. Then in the chart above that use the drop down menu to input each driver, tag name, car, and team.

Points for drivers and teams will be calculated as per the chart below the main data table.

When you are ready for your first race event enter the driver names on the Race 1 Data tab. Qualifying times can be entered into the appropriate row. The heat assigments will be updated automatically based on qualifying. A1 is the Top Qualifier and will receive a bonus driver point. A2, A3, etc would run in the same heat as A1.

As heats are run place the standings into the heat assigment cell according to the driver name. You can also put the best lap time into the cell further to the right. Put a number in order for the placing of each heat race. Treat each heat as its own entity. If three participants ran the B heat each driver would gain a value from 1 to 3 in the proper cells. Winner gets a 1 value. 2nd place would get a 2 value, etc. Anyone which wins their heat will get a driver point and will advance to the Finals.

After heats have completed we run a Consi race. The drivers which will participate are indicated in the chart below the main data table. Any participants in the Consi race can have a yes value added as appropriate. Put a number in order for the placing of the Conci race. Winner gets a 1 value. 2nd place would get a 2 value, etc.

If a best lap time is gained in the Consi race overwrite that data in the proper cell. The winner of the Consi race will advance to the Final race and also will gain a driver point.

Any participants in the Final race can have a yes value added as appropriate. If a best lap time is better than the heat or consi race times overwrite that cell.

The final race standings can now be entered into each cell as appropriate. The winner will get a 1. 2nd place would get a 2, etc. Remaining drivers which were in an A heat but didn't make the finals should be ranked next. Then B heat drivers, etc.

Points will be auto calculated to the right. As long as the driver is listed in the main data chart on the Race Summary tab the points should update correctly.

Please note this spreadsheet is based loosely on the format used by the HO Indy Slot Car League. Thank you so much for posting 25 years of fun!

Cheers,
Michael

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I tried to edit my above post but after reading the Slot Forum rules it seems I need to contact an admin to do so. I may have to do this in the future.

For reference, I have done some more work on the spreadsheet this morning.

Updated in version 3.1 are the following:

1. Changed the Title of the Software to Slot Car Race and League Tracker vXXX
  2. Improved highlighting for cells which require user input
  3. Pre-set print formatting for all sheets
  4. Automatic Consi Race participation entries based on the Consi setup in the Race Data files
  5. Highlighted Race Participation column based on Heat and Consi results
  6. Notes for changing Race League Point structure. Please note, in general, if you change the points you should select all Race Data tabs and make the adjustment as one combined entry for all sheets.
  7. Minor Formatting adjustments.

Cheers!

mb

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To clarify - I am not able to remove the outdated excel file in the first post of this thread. Please download from the post immediately above this one instead.

Cheers!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi everyone,

Noticed a few things which needed correcting. Version 3.2 is attached below.

Hoping this is my last update until I receive more user feedback.

1) Added duplicate (error checking) highlighting for Driver Name, Driver Tag and Team Name

2) Moved the Required Input Data to the first tab instead of having it under the Season Summary Table

3) Fixed conditional formatting errors for some Averages with were set in the wrong (ie reverse) order.

4) Added a reminder for Database Entries to enable the correct info to be selected from the drop down menus

5) Added a version summary log.

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have added some more tweaks to the spreadsheet. The below file is the latest update.

I added a section for laps / heat to help determine who gets into a last chance Consi race. I have also moved the time back to a MM:SSS format as the other formats were awful to enter when using the Carrera Digital Lap Counter.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts