SlotForum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hi all,

We are about to start a racing event with four (maybe six cars) on a homemade SSD track. The track is installed with Pitpro and SSDC. People are beginners but let us learn it the "hard way", so we will get the most fun out of it in long terms. I think we would like to do a free practise time slot, then qualifying and then racing. We got a total time slot from 13:00 pm to 17:00. What kind of game setup and rules can you recommend?

Eg.
- Do you use penalty when bump into each other?
- Penalty when desloting?
- Is qualifying with time limit best or should it be numbers of laps?
- How do you score first place, second place, third ect. (The overall winner of the tournament) ?

Well, please let me know how you setup a great evening with slot car racing :)

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
Hello Olsen

You know what the greatest benefit of digital is ? It takes the slot out of racing
Just look at whatever procedures are used in real racing..with the cars you intend to use.
Obviously with 6 cars there's no need for a top ten qualifying session, but you get the picture.

Eg.
- Do you use penalty when bump into eachother?
Depends, there are always those "racing incidents" but an obvious over enthousiastic racer that blatenly punts an opponent off the track, would be well served with a 10 sec cool down in the pitlane
- Penalty when desloting? De slotting is a penalty by its own nature
- Is qualifying with time limit best or should it be numbers of laps? In a qualifying session with all cars on track a time limit would serve best
- How do you score first place, second place, third ect. (The overall winner of the turnament) ? Again look at what is commonly used for the cars you are running (F1, GT, WTTC) award points for achieved places and add total.

In your time slot I would suggest two 1 hour free practice sessions, half an hour of qualifying, followed by two 1 hour races or three 45 min races...and lots of beer and fun in between

Have fun and enjoy scale motorsport

Tamar

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Tamar

Yes, I get the picture
But it seems like there are many ways to score the results, eg.: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Formu...scoring_systems

So how can the real world scoring systems like the F1 be transfered to scale 1:32 when we only run, let's say 5 cars if we run, let's say 10 races?

Would this be a way to do it in a race:

first place: 6 points
Second: 4 points
Third: 3 points
Fourth: 2 points
Fifth place: 1 point
(and with six cars: number 6 = 0 point)

Are "Fastest lap: 1 point" of any use?

·
Premium Member
2,389 Posts
Tag Olsen

What ever point system you use is arbitrary, not much difference between 6,4, 3 etc etc and 25, 18, 15 besides the total quantity, its the difference between the positions that count.
It all depends on what you want to reward most: consistency (always scoring somehwere in the top) or flash brilliancy.
But in your case I would use F1 1981-2002 with points for all six places. As you said its for fun, no fun in potentially scoring no points what so ever.

Rewards for fastest lap in qualifying...sure, although the best reward in digital racing is.... pole position.
Fastest lap in the race...hmmm... dont know.
As Fangio used to say "I'll always try to win at the slowest pace possible"
In analog slotracing this doesn't fly, but with digital its true...all you've got to do is stay ahead of the other cars

·
Greg Gaub
14,984 Posts
I like to give everyone as much time to race as possible, so I usually run races with heats and driver rotation. Every driver gets to run ever "lane" (car ID/grid position). Laps are summed, and racers also get points at the end of each heat depending on placing. 6 pts. for 1st place and so on to 1 pt for last place (if 6 cars). You can use a straight rotation, or try to randomize it. Just make sure everyone gets their 4 or 6 heats. You run as many heats as there are people. At the end, add total laps and place points to determine the winner. If there's a tie, then the most place points wins between the ties.

Also, unless there is another penalty for coming off than the short time lost being put back on, people will just crash like crazy and yell at the marshals to put them on faster. I prefer a limited amount of crashing. My club has recently been using 3 poker chips per racer each heat. We track call when a car crashes, and any cars not in the slot are put back on with a chip from their driver. If a racer is out of chips, his car is out of the race. We treat ALL deslots the same. This can hurt when you know you were taken out by a careless driver, or even on purpose, but intentional take-outs are always strongly discouraged and frowned upon. It's also up to the better driver to stay on the inside, or away from, careless drivers. A challenge when needing to pass, but that's racing! Watch any real race, and you'll see plenty of cars being taken completely out by a careless/reckless driver. Anyone here see that GT race where that car took out half the field during the start? That's racing!

Other crash penalties include crash and burn (though I think that's too harsh for digital), stop and go (timed) penalty pit stops, long track call delays, or no penalty at all. Trust me when I say, though, that penalties encourage more carefully racing, especially by newbies.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It could be fun
Tamar: I really like the quote: "I'll always try to win at the slowest pace possible" - because in a competition, people will automatically stress each other to drive faster and faster. I think we will try the normal reward for fastest lap during qualifying = first place. But not when it comes to the race.

MrFlippant: Your smart way of using poker chips will be copied to Denmark right away. All of us, including myself, are newbies so maybe we should start with 10? Free practice should answer that question

Can SSDC automatically sum numbers of tracks per driver across a lot of races - even if he is not participating in all the races?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Hi Olsen
How many people are you going to have racing 4 / 6 cars?

If you have everybody driving at once, then scoring by whatever points system is easy.
If you have everybody driving at once there is nobody spare to deal with the deslotted cars.
Two ways of dealing with that
Once you are off you are out. (Sometimes called "crash and burn" although I've seen different interpretations of that phrase) That encourages drivers to stay on. There is a question about removing crashed cars blocking one or both lanes. If they are blocking both lanes there is no choice but to stop[ the race and remove them. If they are blocking only one lane then everybody still in the race can usually continue changing lane as necessary.

If you have enough people so everybody cannot drive at once, then scoring the scoring system needs to accommodate that.
Either organise heats so that everybody races against everybody else the same number of times and award points for each heat.
If you want that can decide the result, or alternatively use that to seed racers into semi finals and the top x from each semi go into a final.

If you have enough people so everybody cannot drive at once then you have spare people (normally called marshals) to deal with the deslotted cars .
You can still race on the "once you are off you are out" basis. That way the marshals just have to remove any deslotted cars blocking the track.
A common way of racing is for the marshal to put deslotted cars back on as quickly as they can. As tamar.nelwan says De slotting is a penalty by its own nature. Many clubs consider no additional penalty is needed.
You could follow MrFlippant's ideas on penalties. I guess the "people will just crash like crazy and yell at the marshals to put them on faster" problem exists in some places, although in my experience drivers soon learn that staying on is way quicker over a race however quick the marshalling is.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
QUOTE De slotting is a penalty by its own nature
While this is true, especially with digital racing It can occur that you are nudged from the back, or taken out on lane changers. In that case a stop&go penalty is what we use. This encourages people to think twice the next time. This also happens in real racing.

About the point system, we got rid of awarding points for fastes laps. Eiteh r th eguy in front already wins and often has the fastest lap, or people that already know they loose wil ltake risks trying to go for fastest laps, and that is not always what you want because they can take out drivers battling for the win.

·
Registered
383 Posts

We are going digital next January and buying/preparing as much as we can for a quick swap-over from our 4-lane analogue.

Rules are under consideration now, but one thing is for sure, we will definately be going for a 'rotational' system. That way, the quicker drivers will have to negotiate the slower Boys at some stage during the class and encourage a bit of 'racecraft'

Perfectly realistic too - jut look at where the top F1 drivers have found hemselves on the grid this year, and the British Touring Car Championship actively creates this situation with their 'reverse grid' rule for the third race of the thee race meeting - very exciting!

The 'three strikes and you're out' rule is also (IMHO) compelling especially as we will all be new to it - we'll see how that goes too.

Main thing for me is that the rules should not get in the way of a load of fun, but should be there to encourage it!

Best Regards,

Chris

·
Living the Life!
11,082 Posts
Chris ........ are you keeping to 4-lanes for digital?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Hi Greg - just two - it's going to be mighty interesting for sure!

Trying to find space to get three in on a long section if space allows.

Best Regards,

Chris

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We are six drivers, but are not using qualifying sessions because SSDC rotates our positions automatic so every driver drives each of the six cars. How is the 'rotational' system working? Can it be explained in details?

·
Registered
383 Posts
Hi Olsen - thats pretty much what I meant - I didn't know that SSDC did that because I don't have it yet.

We run our current 4-lane analogue using a similar method - i.e. all drivers drive all lanes with each car- that way there is no lane advantage - nor does a slight variance in car performance make a difference - then we add up all the poits after

Regards,

Chris

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nice to see you guys doing it in that way. Seems fair

Have you had any experience with the "three stikes and you are out!" rule?
We use stop and go penalty (in pit lane) if a driver hits a car in front of him AND that car crashes.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi Olsen

I use the 1960 F1 scoring but do add 1 point for fastest lap. Just adds to the mix you could come 6th but put in that quick lap and score 2 points for the round. We have had a couple of race days were the extra 1 point was all important.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts