SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
A while back I suggested to Gareth that we could have a stage in the shape of the Toyota logo. He said fine, had a piece of MDF cut for me and so started my first plunge into track making.

A bit like me, it was smaller than I imagined and Gareth was sure we could not have it cross-over enough to drive the whole logo so had it cut was two separate loops. Well, armed with my new router (a pressie from my eldest step-son, Michael) I decided to prove otherwise (with much help form Michael).

We filled some of the existing groove and have redirected it - still the short one to go.

We did not start until after the GP today so darkness eventually stopped us, but we have powered it up and driven a car on a bit of it. It will be tight and one long left hand bend - but cool!

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
A very fun idea.

I could see this mushrooming!

hmmm, now there's a thought

·
Registered
156 Posts
impressive i like that will it be at the rally

how did you do the toyota writing was that with the router as well?

great stuff

regards nik

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Well done Scott, good to see progress being made.

How did the power taps work out in the end?

As Scott mentioned the MDF board was CNC cut by one of my suppliers as was the logo (logo is just CNC'd about 2mm deep).

If you can find anyone who has a CNC machine i would advise anyone to get their tracks cut like this, once you do the artwork it takes just mins and the lines are smooth and clean.

The Car Park stage was the first one i tried http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?...c=12989&hl=

Gareth

·
Alan Tadd
4,047 Posts
Excellent Work Scott, that really looks great and a superb way to "spread the word" on slot racing. One of these in every Toyota showroom?.

Could you explain a little more about the CNC process?, it looks a great way to produce a modular layout, in the Slot-Fire mode. Do you need to produce CAD style plans or will the CNC Companies produce the layout from your sketches?.

Regards

Alan

·
Premium Member
4,213 Posts
Hi Alan

Yes i created the artwork in Illustrator as line artwork (i.e. the slot is one continuous line) as an AI file (most can except Cad files .dxf, but these need to be amended on the CNC machine).

All the (non real work) CNC work i have had done has been produced for free (or lumped in with work projects).

On average expect to pay a min of £100 per 8ft x 4ft sheet to be cut, if you can find a company willing to do it. Most companies run their CNC machines 24/7 due to the very high purchase costs of the units.

Hope this helps.

Gareth

·
Rob
3,430 Posts
What a great idea! A really original track, I'm sure it'll go down a treat.

One suggestion though - use a lower voltage power supply if you have one. My tiny test track uses a standard scalextric powerbase and wall wart, and the controller can get quite hot because it's running part-throttle all the time.

cheers,

Rob

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
Another evening's hard work and we have a running Toyota logo track.

That's Michael who has done all the hard work.

Me testing, testing...

As you can see it was very dark (11.30pm) by the time we finished.

A bit more painting and boxing in the wiring underneath and it should be done. All curve and four cross-overs (34 soldered joints - 4x8 plus 2 power feeds) makes for a challenging first copper track. A drag strip next I think!

·
Registered
548 Posts
Cheap CNC routing..

Ouch min £100 for cnc routing an 8 x 4 sheet.

We have 2 cnc machines at our workshop premisis that cut all our skatepark ramp equipment, both machines are large enough to cnc 10' x 5' sheets.

I don't own the machines its an old partner of mine.

So if anyone wants to get a track routed then PM me, it will cost you around £30 a sheet not £100. Workshop is near Bury St. Edmonds thats Norflok / Suffolk way.

CNC is un matched in accuracy compared to hand routing and you can include all the holes for fixing braid and jioning boards at the same time. Well worth considering, especially if you have to buy the router and bits from B&Q.

Shaunbmx

·
Scott Brownlee
4,275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Finished the track, tested it and loaded it in the back of the Toyota F1 Previa (what else) to go up tomorrow.

And yes, that's the farm stage underneath.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.