SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Premium Member
2,593 Posts
I have been very kindly sent a number of original Race Transporter plans by Mike Sells, who has asked me to post them here on his behalf. This is obviously a substantial amount of work, which should be a valuable resource for scratch builders.

I'll post the plans up over the next week or so, but in the meantime here are a few words from the man himself...

These transporter plans were prepared many years ago based on the photos and rather limited information available at the time, not an inspection of the actual trucks. Most of them were in Europe at the time - unrestored - and beyond my reach. They were drawn over many lunch hours and late nights in the office, first in ink and then on computer and I am proud of them. I know there are still errors in the plans and those errors are mine: out of ignorance or flawed artistic vision. I've tried to add color and general marking data when known but like the racers themselves, the transporter markings varied from time to time and especially team to team. Some of them traveled between owners as well as to the races. Many more photos are available now and many of the trucks have been restored so information is much easier to come by; indeed, many more transporter models are available now than I had ever dreamed originally.

Truck chassis and suspension and interior parts are available in any automotive modelling scales and any will work well enough, bearing in mind the very basic early '50's level of interior trim and comfort. Loading ramps and travel arrangements are nearly unique to the builders but right hand drive was standard for European transporters regardless of country of registration to make crossing mountain ranges easier and safer. I will not attempt to suggest specific parts because scale availability varies so much. Several things I will recommend: plan ahead, error on the side of strength and provide plenty of gluing surface. One trick that was not possible until fairly recently is downloading sponsor pictures and logos from the web, re-scaling them in Word or some similar software and printing them to decal film.

I hope you find the plans and other information useful. Bear in mind, however, that a transporter project requires a substantial investment in time, effort, patience and materials. Some of my models have taken years to complete (or were never finished at all) because I got tired, bored or stuck in the middle. At the other end, they are remarkably rewarding, great for display or photography with the model racers and a definite learning tool. Enjoy.

Mike Sells

· Phil Kalbfell
3,395 Posts
That is great news, Mike has done a fantastic job creating these plans. His generosity in sharing is much appreciated.
Having redrawn one set of his plans I know how much work must have been involved in creating the originals.
His build of the Cobra Transporter is fantastic, it was featured on Mark Gussins original web site.
Please pass on my thanks at least to Mike.

· Premium Member
5,559 Posts
Mike

Thank you so much for entrusting SlotForum with your superb archive it is an invaluable resource and I am sure it will inspire many people to tackle a build of one of their favourite transporters.

David

· Phil Kalbfell
3,395 Posts
Downloaded and resized for 1/32 scale. I got out the large sheets of styrene that have been sitting for about 6 months.
Looks like I have some great winter projects.
Now looking for a source of large diameter wheels and tyres.

· Registered
28 Posts
Phil,

The best wheels and tires for 1/32 wheels and tires are the Airfix Ford transporters but the AMT and Revell/Monogram wheels will work too. The truck wheels are American style but the Monogram fire engines have 5 spoke wheels that are very close to the 6 spoke wheels used on the Italian transporters. Check ebay; some of them are actually available again.

Mike

· Phil Kalbfell
3,395 Posts
Mike Thank you very much, I have a Fire engine kit here and have moulded the 5 spoke wheels, and tyres.ready for casting.
II have also printed out a scale drawing of the Fiat style 6 spoke so should be able to build a master to mould.
Thank you for sharing these drawings.
Maybe you should post the Cobra transporter article here, I am sure members would like to see it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.