SlotForum banner
1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Stuart Walters
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i started this project in the begining of december as a complete newbie.........with the main intention of making a track with good looking scenery. after a couple of designs i made a track (analouge) and started work on the scenery..........then i found slot forum and put all works on hold
i had a bit of a rant on the sf+members welcome thread....so if you have seen some of this already i apologise for saying it all again...

to give you an idea this is the track i started with the intention of making it look good with scenery

After some heavy reading on slotforum i decided that this track was not cutting it
.........and i needed a serious re-think of my intentions with this project. this mainly came from this topic, and i would advise any newbies to give it a good read :

http://www.slotforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=21694

so now my thoughts were: table too small, track rubbish and thoughtless to my new ambitions

i've played with loads of track designs taking in to account that i like le mans/gt/touring cars. i added temporalery a few extra feet in length

i also changed my attitude towards the project...................maraton....not a sprint
. i told myself 'theres no rush' and i'm really enjoying experimenting

heres a few scenery tests that i've done in between track layouts.......

polystyrene

expanding foam

building undercoat plaster (no grass, trees, bushes added to this yet)

after expanding my table from 8ftx4ft to 13ftx4ft pault86 (a member from slotforum) gave me this link for long slim track designs:

http://www.citizensoldier.org/layouts3x16.html

i really liked bonita park and moded it to fit my board
:

after setting this up and many, many test laps i wanted to add a bit more technical....after a bit of playing i came up with this:

i forgot to mention that i went digital just before trying these new tracks
its soooo much fun
. initialy it was about modeling scenery but the more i read here the more i got into the slot racing side of it, and i could not resist knowing that digi was availible. i quickly upgraded from the 4 car pb to the 6 car pb and managed to get a really good third party psu for free from my brother who works in radio station equipment installation

so recently i've been working on adding a pit lane as i want a rms that incorperates fuel managment....after a lot of reading
i'm going with slot-gp and have a richg cable in the post
. heres a few pics of where i'm at:

notice how i have the elevations opposite to bonita park. this so i can fit a pitlane and garages in under the long straight agianst the wall. also this keeps the most frequent de-slot/crash corners to the front half of the table as its against the wall and a long reach to the back

i'm currently playing with the r1 hairpin section and have come up with this:

i have every type of bend in here....r1, r2, 1/2 r2, r3 and r4's and have tried to mix them up to suit the track. i've also found how much a little elevation can make a difference to a bend, especially with 2 r1's together
. this really makes the bends a challenge but driveable. current average laps are mid to low 7's with mags at the front. i do intend to go mag free eventually.........adds a whole new level of driving skill.

i'm really happy with this set up and really think i'm ready to make it permenant
. i'm just waiting for a delivery from pendles so i can finish the pit lane and 2 more lcs (1 xlc and 1 clc). once these arrive i will test the track hard with 3-4 racers to make sure elavtions are right. once happy i will make elav's permenant, give seperate power supply to lane changers and a few power taps. i will also do the ms mod for total juice to the lanes!

then the scenery will start........really looking forward to this as this was the basis to the whole project in the beggining.

big thanks to all the pro's in the scenery section for inspiraiton....we all know who you are!
and too all the gurus in the digital section..who come up with the all the mods, tests and how too's..we all (digi useres especially) know who these are too

rant over!
all opions welcome

·
Registered
215 Posts
So are you going to locate a driver's refueling lane where the beer is located?
I really like the layout with the raised back straight.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Well, that certainly morphed into something different didn't it?

I really like it and I'm glad you took the time to get it right (much like I did too) it really is worth it despite the wait.

Yet another one to watch with interest - I can't wait to see the scenery develop on this, you've certainly experimented a lot with different materials so far.

Keep us posted with plenty of pictures.

·
Stuart Walters
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (Tremelle @ 26 Feb 2007, 01:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>So are you going to locate a driver's refueling lane where the beer is located?
I really like the layout with the raised back straight.

after a long day at work getting up at 4 am to beat traffic (M25)( have a 2hr journey each way to work and back ) and love having a 1,1/2 year old son to enjoy (super hard work but very much worth it!) i like to relaxe with a couple of beers whilst planning/playing with slots in 'my' space aka the garage!..........thankgoodness theres no law on drink slotting..

the back is a brief full throttle straight and is much fun.

@ f1 man..........your so right about 'worth the wait'....thanks for the kind words and there will always be plenty of pics in my posts!
looking forward to development on yours too. this forum really is great for help/inspiration..........i feel another rant coming on so i'l stop now!

·
Bill
2,888 Posts
I really like the design you came up with, and it looks like you'll have a lot of fun building it. Lots of potential for dramatic scenery. I'll be looking forward to watching it develop.

·
Stuart Walters
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (jmswms @ 26 Feb 2007, 03:59) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Lots of potential for dramatic scenery.

i'm currently thinking about wether to have the pit building 'in' the face of the rock as if the rock has been cut away for the pits to go in or just to have it as a building. I know in terms of real life the rock idea is unrealistic for a track, but i think as a show piece it would look great. i'm confident in my modleing skills to do it to a good standard, not in the same leauge as you though jmswms!!
I'm also thinking that i would enjoy modleing this more than as a complete building.

Maybe time to make a smaller scale version

·
Registered
439 Posts
ieye101,

Good to see progress in such a short time. I have my track on the same size board again in the garage. It has been through around 6 changes with and without elevations, currently without. As a newbie myself have also found this hobby to be totally addictive, sure is great fun

All ready have in mind the next changes

Have a good friend who is a policeman so have to watch the drink driving

Oh i forgot he usually brings the beer

I really admire the scenary some people can build especially jmswms

dave

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
QUOTE Maybe time to make a smaller scale version

Thats always a good idea Stuart...........there are times i wish i'd take my own advice

Didnt know you knew where tracks and scenery was, I thought you were stuck in SSD Digital and couldnt find a back door outa there

Looks to me like stepping back is definitly going to pay off in the end and your analogy of a marathon vs a sprint is spot on!!
Its exciting to start a new project but jumping in without a well thought out plan CAN get you into trouble, particularly if its your first permanent layout. I think you'll find that a scale model of what you intend to build will go a very long ways in helping you to envision the project in a complete way. Its also far easier to change something you do not like on a scale model than on the layout itself

It's going to be fun to watch another great build going on.......So, have you chosen an Era you would like to emulate Stuart?? Modern, 60's, International, regional?

·
Stuart Walters
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
QUOTE (Tileguy @ 28 Feb 2007, 19:23) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thats always a good idea Stuart...........there are times i wish i'd take my own advice

Didnt know you knew where tracks and scenery was, I thought you were stuck in SSD Digital and couldnt find a back door outa there

Looks to me like stepping back is definitly going to pay off in the end and your analogy of a marathon vs a sprint is spot on!!
Its exciting to start a new project but jumping in without a well thought out plan CAN get you into trouble, particularly if its your first permanent layout. I think you'll find that a scale model of what you intend to build will go a very long ways in helping you to envision the project in a complete way. Its also far easier to change something you do not like on a scale model than on the layout itself

It's going to be fun to watch another great build going on.......So, have you chosen an Era you would like to emulate Stuart?? Modern, 60's, International, regional?

@todd....i've enjoyed making the test pieces and have learnt many new techniques from the experience and of course from the tracks and scenery section here! my scenery background comes from painting minatures so the largest area i've 'made up' is a 25mm round base
a whole different kettle of fish when working on large areas!

i actualy make most of my posts here in this section, i enjoy to see others works regardless of skill level and is a great source for inspiration..... have just been quiet recently as i've spent many, many hours reading, re-reading and reading again in the digi. even more of a newbie to anything electrical than i am at model making it has brought another addictive, facinating learning curve to the hobby that i had never even given a second thought to. i'm really enjoying learning the electrical side and making all the mods (well....in my head at the mo!
). i had never even touched a soldering iron before this and now am starting to find chipping cars quite addictitive, extending wires, hacking away to make the bl
y chip fit etc....a great challenge.

as for an era........i'm thinking modern for my first build. i love the cars although i'm really starting to take a shine to some of the classics. the 'new car thread' is great to see what others are buying and is a great source to see whats out there and availible, so many cars on the wish list and not enough money in the wallet!
. i thinking i'l have an events board so i can change the races to suit the cars ie... modern......classics.....mixed etc. i think it would be great to have themed era as a project much like jmswms, but i would like a first build under my belt and gaining the experience before tackleing a major researched theme. like you i like to research so just to pick a dedicated era with appropiate theme would take me forever

so made a little progress tonight. had a good couple of hours racing with a friend to test the elavations out in raceing conditions and xlc placements etc and all is good. i have yet to race with more than 2 people and can't wait to, digi is so much fun! i'm now ready to tackle making them permenant and all the electrics, so a lot of hard work my way without any 'visual' progress but i get to use tools and be creative so i'm happy
i'm now off to cut up track for my pitlane.

before i go had great fun racing my new moslar, its v quick and looks stunning. i thought i would thrash the pants off my fellow racer in the gt3 but it turned out to be the other way round. the moslar's speed made judging the corners much more difficult and as i like the mag up front this added to the challenge. although i lost it felt much more rewarding to race and look forward to improving and racing against a similar car/cars. had probs with the mc12 tonight which would have ben a reasonable competitor but its not running for what ever reason and i'm not in the mood to tackle the horrible chassis tonight!

inspired by one of todds recent posts in his project, fancied a little photo fun. there is just so much to this hobby! better camera on the wish list!

can the moslar driver hold his rear end as he dials in opposite lock with the steering wheel, as the mc12 is right 'up there' ready to take the advantage! (sad i know.....active imagination....at nearly 27
)

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Great Photo Stuart.................and hey, ive got an active imagination also for a guy approaching 50

Hey, remember................ We must have a little fun every now and again, without a little fun, what would be the point of it all!!

Miniatures were my brothers passion............he came up for a week a couple years back and he musta painted 500 pairs of boots in a couple days..........Seems to me he was doing Napoleonics at the time.........he has since gone to the American Revolution in a different scale after creating some 4500 of the other in 25mm.....theres an art to pinting attractive miniatures............I'll bet you end up with some of the nicest looking figures around on your track

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
@tileguy, jmswms and @1eye101, and of course don quislot
Just managed to sneak out the digital back door...

Great to see you guys here. I am just beginning with scenery, and It's nice to find familiar names in this section. My biggest problem is time. After more than a year practicing and rearranging I am finally happy with my layout, so now i can start with the scenery. @1eye101, how do you do manage It ! Having a 9 months old son and 3 year old daughter and of course the daytime job, I just envy your progress, must be in the middle of the night
. Just wanna thank you guys for keeping me inspired. Man, what a great hobby we have. I am nowhere in your league regarding scenery, but It's so much fun I just keep tryin. Too bad you guys are so far away, love to give that mosler driver a few hints, after being beaten by an opel astra of course...(Imagination also works at 36 I guess..)

PS 1eye101, Is it a ninco Mosler you are talking about ?

·
Stuart Walters
926 Posts
@ minardi.............yer its the ninco version. i really like it
. it looks fab and drives great. i have just put the mag back to its origional position as i feel i'm just not ready to handle it with the mag at front. even still it slides nicely round the corners.

managed to sort the mc12, the mag had come loose and stuck to the rear axcel. its now hot glued in place and is great fun to race around.

on reflection of last nights testing....i decided temporalery to rid of the only cross over i have. initionaly i wanted this in because if you don't change lanes (or change lanes an equal number) you still get to drive on both lanes alternatley. my fellow racer kept forgetting it was there causing a few smashes...which in turn meant i purposley gave way regardless if i had the advantage. not really fair in race conditions

after changing the cross over for the 2 r2's and getting my pit lane finished i started thinking more about the racing last night. was i really happy with xlc placement
overall flow
and overall design

so i started to play around with what track i have.....thinking i need to get more out of the space i have and overall flow. I remember reading somewhere that xlcs work great just before corners.....so i changed them to suit this and has made a great improvement. i also tweaked most of the corners so they remainded needing a little skill to get hot laps but flowing nicely.

i also decided to to extend the hairpin section after the pit exit from this (last night)

to this

this has made the flow great whilst still needing skill to get the most out of the bends and has also made the track longer. real fast laps are now mid 7's as apposed to mid to high 6's.
the test session really helped last night..........so NOW i'm ready to to procced as i only have 2 crossovers and 1 quatre staight left. @todd (tileguy) its ashame your not around the corner as i would happily donate the quatre straight to your project!

so guys......do you thnk i'm right to rid of thre single crossover thus loosing the different lap if no lane change or not?
i know there is a poll on this at the top of the page but i would like your opinions with it on my track being digi (remember i would only have 1 in the circuit)

thanks

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
@1eye101

I still have my single crossover R2 in my track. For 4 reasons

1) I love the racing lines It creates

2) Beginners who don't want or know how to change lane don't stay in the same lane
3) It forces you to change lane to get the ideal line, rather than staying in the same lane all the time (so analog)
4) Future drone cars (project not finished yet) appear in different lanes every lap

Have tried with and without, and although a possible place for collisions, for me there are more benefits with than without It.

XLC's; I have placed 1 before the pit entry and 1 behind a corner, the beginning of a straight. (instead of the end before a corner). That works for me, maybe you should try that also.

I also have the same Mosler, and love It too, however I gave him ortmanns to keep track with a slot it porsche 962. Great fights ! Slot It quicker on straights, Mosler better in corners.

I will follow this thread closely, many similarities with my track.

(PS will make pictures this wednesday, expect to be able to show them before/around next weekend.)

Regards,Minardi.

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
As promised, my singlelane pitlane;

It's work in progress, still have to paint the MDF, add pitwalls and fence. etc But the lights work !

·
Stuart Walters
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
minardi that looks awesome! the lights look fantastic! i have just ordered my leds as i'm very close to the lighting stage. i hope they come out as well as yours! i really like the pit area and is going to look even better once finished. your track looks a great race too. i've had no problems with a single lane pit either so thanks for the advise regarding that issue. i have left the r2 crossover out at the mo as my 2 drone cars run better without it. i have 1 going slower than the other so this stays on the lane with the tightest turn. its so much fun with drones! i've just been racing since my last post as i'm currently tight for time with work etc and i want to get elavs and electrics done in 1 or 2 hits rather than bit here and bit there. great work minardi....looking forward to more on yours

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Thanks 1eye101. I didn't use LED's, I used small light bulbs (Busch), 14V. PS my R2 crossover is under/behind the Dunlop bridge, and still love it there. Hope to have drone cars within 3 weeks. Plan to let them change lanes also, so may be I haven't your problem regarding faste/slower cars in one lane. PS also gave 1 car in the garage 14V and disconnected the motor. Great effect.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Mr Minardi (got a first name?? We are kind of informal in here.....cant believe Ididnt ask this earlier
)
Very nice lighted pit area and it Fits very well in your space. Isnt it amazing how something as simple as Adding lighting to your buildings gives them a completely Enhanced look!!
Your track deserves its own thread and Stuart's track thread deserves its own also (so lets not hijack it OK LOL )

Stuart, this brings up a good point.......Have you made a plan for your pit area? Maybe you have now LOL

A couple things I learned long ago about buildings that really adds to their realism.
#1 - Plant your buildings.....Buildings should look like they are permanent and this means to get them planted and make the foundation Look planted. There are many ways to do this and i'll not go into them here.
#2 - Weathering....Buildings take on a weathered appearance starting from day 1......Paint fades, metal rusts, concrete cracks, glass gets dusty etc etc
#3 - Plastic looks like plastic.........UNLESS!!!!.......Dulcote, Spray of Champion Structure Modelers and Kit builders. Buildings are Not shiny and deesheening with dulcote will lend added realism
#4 - greenery yes and no....Some tracks are meticulously landscaped and some are kinda haphazard...weeds along fences, growing outa cracks in the cement etc. Landscape bushes, creeping vines climbing up a building, Trees planed in a landscape square all help to add realism to your Buildings and can help to Plant them also. I have yet to see a racecourse model with a fence loaded with creeping vines...........Yet I have seen this in real life (particularly somewhere along the backstretch
)

·
Registered
3,731 Posts
Hello Todd, my first name is Marcel. Thanks for your kind words and advice. HAve been thinking about my own thread, but progress is so slow I sometimes hijack someone else his thread
After the racing the track is up to the ceiling and this doesn't help the progress. Opening my own thread however gives greater opportunity for input from scenery masters like you guys, so I think you convinced me..... Back to 1eye101 than

1 - 20 of 140 Posts