SlotForum banner

181 - 200 of 203 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
Neither of them look British to me.

Mention of the Standard Vanguard reminds me that shortly after i passed my driving test, I was allowed to drive an ancient uncle's beetleback Vanguard. I had almost no driving experience, but i knew it was an unwieldy beast, and it was an unpleasant enough experience to be memorable. There was a massive steering wheel connected to what felt like a bowl of spaghetti as these were pre rack and pinion/radial tyre days. Also 'orrible was the three-on-the-tree gear shift and the polished leather bench seat with nothing to stop the front seat occupants from sliding. Weighing a ton and a quarter and with about 60 b.h.p. it was no Lotus 7.

·
Jim Moyes
5,002 Posts
What is on the back? The red one looks like a Vanguard.
I think they are both Simcas. The rear one looks to be an Aronde style pickup and the front one an earlier model estate.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
That Beetle pick up looks good, I'm surprised it wasn't produced as a mainstream light commercial model by VW. Given their reputation for reliability it would certainly have sold well.

·
Registered
6,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #187 ·
You're right, Matthew. However in the immediate post War years, there were acute material shortages, and Ivan Hirst moved mountains to get the VW Transporter into production instead.

Early Beetles only had one windscreen wiper fitted, because there weren't enough wipers for two to be fitted.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
I might finally have something to contribute. These are the TA71 3D printed Mercedes Rennwagen and a (I think) fantasy VW transporter
test paint jobs using just primer and first paint layer

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Beautiful models! Those A71 definitely are not for beginners but when propperly done, look awesome! Congrats mate.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
Beautiful models! Those A71 definitely are not for beginners but when propperly done, look awesome! Congrats mate.

Cheers
Any hints as to how to smooth the 3D print a bit more. This was simple test of primer and paint only to see effect. Lots of fine sand paper? Filler?

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Depending on the quality of the print to start with, I would sand, spray with automotive primer filler, probably a few coats to start with and keep repeating until you are happy, then switch to your normal primer and top coat.

This is a test print I did when I got my new printer with a mist spray of primer filler followed by, I think, three heavy coats of primer filler. It looks worse in the photo than in real life not got around to sanding yet and as I have changed my printing profile since this was done with default setting probably won't, also don't think it's quite to scale. You can click on the photo to expand it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hi All,

Amazing pics of these classic Transporters and cars they carried.
Great to have them modeled and available
It's set the juices flowing to finish off a previous model I worked on
E E Transporter

and one I found on the net, that needs a little clean up
M B Renntransporter (a long time GRAIL!!)

Cheers
NimROD

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Wow! That would be awesome mate, keep the good job! Glad to gear good news from you!

Cheers

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Very poor print of the M B Renntransporter in 1/43rd scale. This was done on my old prinbter when I was having lots of problems with it. one of the problems was that It just would not print top skins, as you can see, no matter what I set in the slicer, Cura and XYZ's own slicer.

·
*** Leo A Capaldi ***
3,588 Posts
Hello again Nimrod,
Glad to see the Lancia Esatau transporter back on the scene. That is the three axle vehicle that you mention as EE. Have heard great praise for your work over on SFI so knew that you were still active and hoped that you had not forgotten the Esatau.

Best regards, Leo

Hi All,

Amazing pics of these classic Transporters and cars they carried.
Great to have them modeled and available
It's set the juices flowing to finish off a previous model I worked on
E E Transporter
View attachment 275584
and one I found on the net, that needs a little clean up
M B Renntransporter (a long time GRAIL!!)

View attachment 275585

Cheers
NimROD

181 - 200 of 203 Posts